ESPN Won't Air 'Apex Legends' Tournament Because of Mass Shootings

ESPN has postponed coverage of a competitive tournament for the popular shooter game Apex Legends scheduled to air this weekend.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywaz5y/espn-abc-wont-air-apex-legends-tournament-because-of-mass-shootings
1 Like

It is so discouraging to me, not just as someone for whom games are a big part of their life, but also as someone interested in the forward progress of the human race in general, that we have to dance this dance about game violence in two thousand and nineteen.

Instead of finally acknowledging the non-link between video games and real life crime, moving on and addressing the industry’s actual problems like predatory business practices, labor issues and capital “G” Gamer culture, we have to put on this charade of “paying respects” because of extremely biased and corrupt politicians. It fucking sucks and it seems like it would be so easy for the most popular entertainment medium in the world to throw its weight around, but I guess that would involve taking some sort of stand and maybe sacrifice short term profits.

Or, to put it another way: Good job getting cucked, game industry

2 Likes

cooltext332425552946147

16 Likes

Though this is an obvious smokescreen, I can understand a viewer not wanting to flip to ESPN2 and immediately see virtual people gunned down for sport. I think it’s kind of a morbid barrier for esports to potentially jump before hitting mainstream relevance, though.Many popular games in esports competitions (Overwatch, Apex, Fortnite, Counter-Strike) are based in the shooting of guns and the killing of opponents. This is a level of (though virtual) violence that I’m uncertain the average sports-watching audience is going to want to stomach.

I think there’s room to discuss how games use violence as a crutch, and why that will be a barrier for a lot of people, but I’m not sure how we can do that if we have to continually permit the idea that games get put on blast whenever there’s a tragedy like this. You can’t move forward if you’re stuck in “park”, if you catch my meaning.

And, if I’m being completely honest, I think if Overwatch makes you more uncomfortable than American football, you need to get your perspective in order

6 Likes