Ever had to work with someone you didn’t like ... again?

I worked for 8 years at my last job, and the last few were the most brutal of my life. On top of unrealistic schedules, a toxic work environment and a ridiculous amount of uncompensated overtime, I also had to deal with one producer who seemed convinced I was leaving work early, when actually I just arrived earlier than most everyone else.
So on top of the stress of being overworked, I also had the stress of some guy constantly trying to catch me doing something I wasn’t actually doing.
In the end he won anyway by being higher up the food chain and having the ear of several people in power, and I was let go for “business reasons.”

But whatever, I ended up at a much better place where I feel supported, have more realistic (though still kinda ridiculous) schedules and a level of maturity that I greatly appreciate.

I’ve been here over a year now and have become very comfortable and familiar with my coworkers, and we seem to have a level of mutual respect I was sorely missing.

The other day I ran in to that guy in the hall and apparently we are both working together again. Despite that I work in a large workplace, this guy somehow got put on the same team I’m on, so I have to deal with him again.

I’m really frustrated because he was a key reason the previous work environment was so actively hostile and completely draining, and I don’t want that to happen here.

I don’t like playing office politics so I’m not really sure what my next step is. I just needed an excuse to rant.

So do you have a story about having to work with someone you don’t like across multiple employers? How’d you deal with it?

Not across jobs but there was a guy in college that always ended up in almost all of the same classes. He was always the person that never wanted to talk to anyone and so everyone else would form groups and the professor would just thrust him upon a random group which was sadly mine on a few occasions because he never wanted to do any work and always wanted to wait to the last minute.

By far the worst though was my two semester capstone project. Again we had all formed groups for our projects and he was without a group, he stands up and gives the room the sales pitch for why a group should take him in. “I don’t program and I don’t do documentation, but I’m really good at coming up with ideas” says a man hoping to graduate with an IT degree to a room full of peoples whose projects are solely programming and documentation.

Because my groups project was deemed “overly ambitious” it was decided that he would be placed on ours. The first documentation we had to turn in was to be several pages long detailing scope, structure, client, etc and wouldn’t you know it he self assigned himself the title page and the listing of everyones contact information…

I always wonder how group projects felt for people who don’t do shit. Like, is there guilt? Do they care? What does it feel like? Because without fail most college group projects ended up with me and someone else the week before it was due doing a fuck ton of work to pick up everyone else’s slack.

Also, every CS course should be required to teach some sort of version control because teaching that was a nuisance too (as I barely knew how to use git myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

It’s not office politics if this person routinely made you, a valuable and now long-term employee at this company who was here before them, upset and harassed. I would say take it to someone higher up on your food chain but couch it as concerns that you have with the employee’s attitude if it expresses itself here. Maybe they will turn out cool and maybe the stress of the old job had that effect on them, but if they start doing it again, document it. You deserve to be happy at this job too.

I haven’t had the cross-job experience, but have had similar experience within a workplace.

Are you now working as peers with this person, or is he your producer again? Not knowing the job and roles I don’t want to make too many assumptions about the power dynamics.

Since it sounds like you have a good amount of credibility and trust where you are, I would suggest giving a heads-up to a leader or manager (or even a colleague whom you trust) that you and this other person have worked together before and that he behaved in specific ways that negatively affected you. You’re not giving an ultimatum or trying to torpedo his work, but just signposting that you’re going to keep doing your best work, and that you may need help in the future. A good leader should recognize and respect that you’re trying to get them engaged early, before a real conflict arises.