Favourite Single player game/s you’ve played

Shenmue 1 and 2 rate quite high from years back along with the Ocarina of Time. They came out at a time that gaming was getting more realistic as it were and I think for the best part were technically impressive … them first few steps into Hyrule Field are still to this day very vivid.

The Last of us rates very highly, I start d the game not really knowing what it was about as it was loaned to me and those first 20 minutes sealed it … if you’ve played it you will know the scene that lifts it into a masterpiece and forever one of those defining moments that gaming is getting on par with movies .

Lately The Witcher 3 has been a great single player game to get stuck into and explore a world with so much to do and see it’s ovee whelming … who else had a map full of. ? …

Notable mentions … Yakuza 0 and Kiwami . Second Son and MGS 5 … Quiet and that mission with her theme tune … more moments like that would have been amazing .

For me it starts with Star Fox 64 and Super Mario 64. I grew up on my Nintendo 64 and those games along with the rest of the library mean more to me than anything else I will ever play. Those two games I play almost annually. Heck, by now I could probably play through them with my eyes shut.

As for recent games, I loved playing the Uncharted series, Metal Gear Solid 3, and GTA V.

I love the Witcher 3. Finished it three times and on my fourth plathrough I was gonna play Blood and Wine but just haven’t gotten to it yet. I need to play it again. Loved that game.

The ones that stand out the most for me are Mother 2 (Earthbound) and Mother 3, Jet Set Radio Future, Resident Evil 1 (gamecube), Silent Hill 2 and Chrono Trigger! It’s hard to pick just a small handful of games as favourite single player experiences. There are so many good ones. Especially because mood will change which ones I like most.

Bastion (and everything by Supergiant honestly) will always be a favorite for me. DOOM 2016 also had a pretty great campaign.

Gotta be Shadow of the Colossus,everything about that game is amazing.
I still cry every time the credits roll.

For me, it’s Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row The Third and Shadows of the Damned. And Infamous.

It’s easily Earthbound for me. I played it a few years after it came out and everything it tried to do worked PERFECTLY on me. It was maybe the most effective game I’ve ever played and it still can make me emotional when I talk about it :upside_down_face:

For me, it’s always been Civilization games. I love thinking up an agenda beforehand, a motive for the nation I play as; science victory, one city-play style, Just picking gunpowder as tech research and getting there first and just demolishing everyone (not that possible in later games, but Civ2 was always that way).

SimCity is the same way, I loved making the most beautiful, high tech city and just launching disasters on it.

For a more gameplay kind of thing, story-driven ones it’s Bioshock. The ending, the ‘would you kindly’ parts, that revelation and its commentary on how we all play games (linear ‘rollercoasters’) was amazing, I’ve so much respect for Ken Levine and that whole development team.

I like to break up favorites into three categories: My sentimental favorite, which is just the game that means the most to me. Then there’s the artistic favorite, which is the game that I recognize as just being artistically, mechanically, etc the best. And then finally there’s the current favorite, which is the game I’m really into right now

So to break it down:

• Sentimental favorite: Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. My very first video game that wasn’t shovelware garbage. I’ve beat that game probably 20 times, which is a lot since I don’t like to replay games.
  • Artistic Favorite: Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies. Everything about this game is great. The story, the cutscenes, the dialogue, the controls. This game is incredible at making you feel incredible and untouchable
  • Current Fave: Stardew Valley. My life has been really stressful recently, and this is the best decompressing game I’ve ever played. Every evening I just fire it up and play for an hour or two before I go to bed.

Jak and Daxter without a doubt. It’s such a joy to play. The characters are light-hearted and creative, and the art style follows this mood. Jak’s roll jump is incredibly satisfying, and the levels are all distinct with their own quirks filled with collectibles worth taking the time to find. (The fishing mini-game is also kind of a blast to play, for some reason.)

Never have played any Ace Combat games, or any Flight combat games in general. Is this a recommended title to start with? It’s pretty cheap on eBay, so I am interested in giving it a shot!

It’s regrettably the only one I’ve played, but yes, it’s an excellent one to jump into the series with! Ace Combat 04 and Ace Combat 05 are generally considered the 2 best in the series, and the story is pretty disconnected so you won’t jump into something you don’t understand

Sweet! I’m a little thrown back by Ace Combat having its own worthwhile story. I must have really written this series off as just another Flight Combat Arena. Thanks for the recommendation!

It’s hard to point to a single game cause I enjoy different games for different reasons. I don’t really value anyone particular reason above the others.

Today I’d say it’s LoZ:Breath of the Wild. Tomorrow it might be Thief 1 and 2. Just last week it was Deus Ex.

This is my top ten whether or not you include multiplayer games:

Metroid Prime
Mega Man X
Mega Man Legends 2
Wind Waker
Demons Souls
Journey
Majora’s Mask
Metal Gear Solid 3
Bloodborne
Super Mario World

Each of these games have significantly shaped the way I think about gaming, and are wonderful realizations of a creators vision.

I loved the N64 with its countless classics , Goldeneye, Turok, Donkey Kong and lots more I can’t remember the names but can picture.

Banjo or Mario though as the platformer of choice .?

I loved Banjo more if I’m honest as it was made by the gods that were RARE at the time and couldn’t really do no wrong in regards to games.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few.

Sunset Overdrive is one of the few games where simply moving around the environment was half the fun. It’s like a giant game of “The Floor is Lava”, and I could visibly see how much better I was getting by how efficiently I was getting from A to B.

Depending on the day, I’ll waffle between Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back or Crash Bandicoot: Warped as my favorite technical platformer.

Portal and Portal 2 are also puzzle games that were thoroughly satisfying from start to end: the combination of humor and technical execution is second to none.

I also have a loose mental association with Spec Ops: The Line and Bioshock Infinite, as they both left me contemplating exactly what had happened throughout for days after I’d reached the credits.

I’ve also 100%'d Psychonauts a few times simply because I enjoy the world and concept so much.

I didn’t premeditate this list, it’s completely off the top of my head… Although I do often think about these games as some of my favorites of all time.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I like that this game’s open world is built around a series of tools that can be used to creatively solve its encounters and problems the whole way through, rather than built to try and act solely as a setpiece. Mind, it is a setpiece on top of all that. I also like that the limitations put on the player, such as degrading/breakable weapons and only regaining health via foods or resting, makes it a constant affair of planning – similar to any decent survival game. It’s a nice mix between constant puzzle solving, artistic beauty, and elegantly designed struggle that had me hooked. Plus, I played it on the Switch, hardware which not only allows something of this technical magnitude to exist, but to make it much easier to have with me wherever I go. Game absolutely consumed me this year.

Rez Infinite - Built around the idea of meshing gameplay with music, the game is relatively easy to play but has a lot of really neat tricks that blend your actions to the music that’s playing. It also offers up a fun light sprinkling of narrative to kind of make its abstract visuals make more sense than being a really trippy playable visualizer. Area X is also a stunning update to the original’s format, allowing a slight bit more freeform gameplay and even more dazzling abstracted visual effects, and built around an even more dynamic soundtrack (Area X alone is comprised of several different songs mixed together, rather than featuring one single continuously built track). Add VR immersion to the package if you have it available to you, and I can’t think of anything that feels so… satisfyingly artistic to me. There’s also optional arcade-esque skill challenges buried in there if you need a more hardcore goal to pursue, but I personally don’t factor it into my enjoyment of the package.

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - I love the two protagonists and all of their supporting characters and I like that the game offers player input on their reactions to things but doesn’t really feel extremely atonal or inconsistent, even if you react differently to different situations, the gameplay is serviceable (I personally find it fun but I can easily detect how it might come off as weak to others), the world is gorgeously detailed and expressed in the game’s engine. I personally wept at journey’s end with the Witcher III, the ending being one of the most emotionally striking and satisfying I’ve ever experienced in a videogame (and I admit, I’ve cried at the endings of videogames on more than one occasion before I played Witcher III). It has exceptionally great writing for a fantasy RPG, and it came off to me feeling like its world had far more at stake to me than most other RPGs I can personally stomach to play. And let me clarify the last bit of that statement – I have a hard time with RPGs, I have a difficult time with their layered mechanics and I generally am attuned to getting satisfaction from a more immediate reaction to my inputs in games (I just want to react more immediately to things rather than consider the various systems that will be impacted by my play decisions), I have a difficult time reading through endless journals and text and keeping track of all the details and then the systems on top of all of that. Witcher III streamlines a lot of that for people like me and I really appreciate it, and it tells some of its most compelling details in ways beyond journal entries and text documents littered across the world, despite the game still having plenty of that, too. It may read as an “RPG for dummies” to some of the more dedicated fans of the genre, but for folks like me, the easier interaction with the game’s world and robust storytelling presentation made it an unforgettable experience.

Too many to post honestly! Most games I play are single player, aside from the Rocket League’s of the world.

From a combination of nostalgia and just being genuinely good games, Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and 10 are ones I always revisit.

More recently there has been Red Dead Redemption, The Last Of Us, Bloodborne, Breath Of The Wild, DOOM, Nier Automata and probably more that I can’t remember right now. The one connecting thread, I think, is that they were each made with a consistent vision, theme or goal. I’m also amazed at how a lot of my favourite games have been made in recent years. It’s been a good few years for single player games!