Final ‘Death Stranding’ Trailer Is Beautiful And Full of Potential Spoilers

Designer Hideo Kojima’s newest video game hits the PlayStation 4 on November 8, and Sony just dropped the final trailer ahead of the game’s launch. I’ve beaten Death Stranding, and I can’t tell you anything about it other than to say this is a great trailer, but consider not watching it.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pa78qy/final-death-stranding-trailer-is-beautiful-and-full-of-potential-spoilers
1 Like

But it’s so obtuse and weird I don’t even know what I’m being spoiled on…

Like, all of what I saw kind of left my brain because what I was watching was utter nonsense.

1 Like

This game might be bad, but it will always have some fucking wonderful wackadoo trailers.

3 Likes

All the story stuff is just bonkers hyper-indulgent goofiness, but man, I really really unironically can’t wait to fail at crossing a river in this game.

Excitement for Death Stranding the game? 4/10
Excitement for Death Stranding the Discourse? 13598/10

6 Likes

Having heard Dan’s subtle nod to how much he hates it on the Beastcast by saying, “You know, I think I was too hard on Red Dead 2.”

And then hearing Jeff on the Bombcast going, “Yeah… That game could use some mod support.”

I am SO INCREDIBLY excited to hear how much people hate this game.

5 Likes

… I’m gonna need to listen to the new beastcast, huh?

I’m a huge fan of systems in games and loved RDR2s tedium lol. If there’s even more in Death Stranding I might be even more on board.

He even alluded that he is no longer playing it.

1 Like

Wow. Dan “Hideo Kojima” Ryckert is down on a Kojima game? Never thought I’d see the day lol

1 Like

I’m absolutely floored that no one gave Austin a code.

4 Likes

I’ve found a lot of Dan’s takes really frustrating for the past while now, so I think I’d probably like Death Stranding a lot.

That is, if I hadn’t all but refused to play it when it drops, because there’s no way in hell I’m touching the CONVERSATION there.

3 Likes

In hindsight I find mgsv fun but kinda flavorless, and this game gameplay wise seems like a splinter from V, so I think I’m just gonna pass on DS, but I can’t wait to talk about it. I read a bunch of spoilers from leaked copies and oooh boy man kojima shit for good and for garbage is all here.

2 Likes

I’m excited to shotgun this game on release weekend and subsequently want to forget it ever existed after all the Twitter Takes.

3 Likes

This game will break the land-speed record by how fast the discourse will make it seem ancient

2 Likes

I’ll play it, well… I’ll probably play it. My curiosity will unlikely be satiated by the opinions and experiences of others.

I have a pre-order pending where I got it for a $30 discount but I’m still not sure if I’m gonna let that one go through.

I’m mostly interested in seeing how much of a departure from typical big budget games this ends up being. Even if it’s bad I can at least get behind somebody as big as Kojima just doing whatever the hell he wants and still getting a budget to do it.

1 Like

The game is definitely going to set a precedent, one way or another… I can’t really think of another time in video games when a publisher as large as fuckin’ SONY wrote a blank check for one person to start making a video game with seemingly no oversight (I’d love to be told I’m wrong though!). If it’s a disaster we’ll probably never see another approach like that for another while, and if it’s decent maybe we’ll see it becoming a trend for better or worse.

I just truly don’t want another Joker in the sense that people beat a decently Okay piece of media into a pulp, 2019 has been so long already

You see all the product placement in the TGS videos? I think Kojima had to go get some extra funding to finish it.

1 Like

Oooh fuck, that’s a really good point!! Don’t know why that hasn’t occurred to me, I just thought Kojima really liked Monster and wanted to put it in the game. Never stopped to think about the more practical reasons why it’d be in there.

I actually have a Monster x Death Stranding flyer from TGS, I’m holding on to it until I die

You, a plebeian: blah blah liberalism blah blah psychoanalysis blah blah auteur theory

Me, an intellectual: look at this car

19 Likes