'Final Fantasy XII' Remains a Dizzying, Fascinating Experience

It’s Final Fantasy, sure, but with more menus than you can shake a fast food franchise at.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/final-fantasy-xii-remains-a-dizzying-fascinating-experience

The article mentions assigning roles, and getting particular skills, and makes it sound like this was in the original US release.

If you’ve played FFXII already, you know about the job system. Every character can be assigned a role within the party, which grants them particular powers and abilities, and a “job board” that slowly reveals its perks and skills as you earn points enough.

I don’t remember these at all. I just remember the job board, and being freely-able to customize characters. Am I misremembering, or misreading the article?

Also, any info on how the jobs/roles in Zodiac Age work?

Same boat, I don’t remember FFXII having a job system at all, just the skill board thing. It’s been a while since I played, though, and I never got very far.

Yeah, Mike seems to be misremembering the original game. Ironically he does later go on to say the Japanese PS2 re-release was called the “Zodiac Job System,” but only cites “increased movement speed” and a “trial mode” as its additions. Did the title of the game not give it away?

In any case, the Job System is as follows. When you get a new party member, you have to assign a job to them. This job’s really just a smaller license board than the one in the original, with licenses that would be appropriate to such a job. In other words, you’d be able to duplicate these “jobs” in the original game (for the most part).

Multiple characters can use the same job, but you probably don’t want that because then you’d just have multiple identical characters (which was an issue many people had with the original game). Not to mention each Quickening (Limit Break) can only be unlocked by a single character.

At least, that’s what it was like in Zodiac Job System. Evidently Zodiac Age has introduced subclassing, which I’m quite excited about. But I wonder if license points have been increased as well, otherwise you could very easily be spreading yourself too thin (again, a problem in the original game).

The article is referring to a feature that was in the Japan-exclusive Final Fantasy XII International, not the original FFXII release. The remaster is based on International and its content, meaning all of its upgrades and changes to the job board are in place. If your only experience with FFXII is the original release, then this content should be brand new to you.

That’s not the issue, as the Zodiac Job System release is mentioned in the article:

The Zodiac Age isn’t just the PS2 game given a tickle of new paint and a rousing re-recorded soundtrack. In may respects it’s the Japan-only “International Zodiac Job System” version

The issue is that Mike’s wording seems to imply the original FF12 release had a job system:

If you’ve played FFXII already, you know about the job system. Every character can be assigned a role within the party, which grants them particular powers and abilities, and a “job board” that slowly reveals its perks and skills as you earn points enough.

Thanks for the info!

This article reinforces in my mind that the incredible hands-free customization left to the player as well as the art design will shine stronger than ever today. FF12 still remains one of the few FFs focusing on putting a sleek presentation and directing through its cutscenes (same person as the one who did Vagrant Story’s !). I don’t think these qualities will go unnoticed by fans as much as it was before.

Yeah it’s true, it didn’t have one. FF12 Vanilla failed at conveying the incredible depth of the gameplay because every character could be anything and so a lot of people just settled on having three characters with three swords because it’s the easiest method. FF12’s weapons type is the biggest in the series and has a huge importance into party composition so IZJS is in a way streamlining the experience to allow for more experimentation in order to have a better grasp at what it can offer as a whole.

I’m also excited for the dual job new addition, it will allow to deal with an issue of IZJS that makes a white mage pretty much mandatory in your party considering their importance.