Finally, We Have an Excuse to Explain Evangelion

A bit of an aside, but how awesome was it to watch Shin Godzilla (directed by Hideaki Anno) and hear that frickin “time to get organized” theme from Eva play?
I hadn’t seen Shin until this year and was just like, OK, THIS is what this movie is going to be about, getting the bureaucracy together to fight godzilla, Anno style, I love it.

I think, ironically, the reason I link RahXephon is because of anime fans who diss it as a rip-off of Evangelion, so the two are intertwined in my mind.

And though Austin’s perspective sorta makes me want to rewatch it, there’s about a million other pieces of media I like that I’d rather rewatch first.

Is that reinforcing their disposable nature?

Since there’s so much time between now and when the Eva rewatch happens, it’d be interesting if they take a look at Netflix’s Devilman Crybaby, considering how much the original Devilman manga clearly influenced stuff about NGE, and this adaptation seemed to do some of the same back at it. Plus just how the director, Yuasa, brings his own surrealism and physicality to the source material.

I found Rahxephon in the first place because I watched Eva and then was looking around for things people said were like it. Like with Eva, I don’t really know the older stuff it takes off from at all (Raideen etc.), and I think Eva is most people’s closest association maybe because of that. Honestly, all the Eva discussion has made me want to rewatch Rahxephon more than anything, as I remember so little about it besides it being good.

Here is the thing though. I don’t think it does any of the things its trying to do well, especially with

With a lot of its weird plot choices like shinji’s mom being the mech. A plot point bionic commando has as well, and deserves to be mocked just as much for that there if you ask me. Not to mention all the pseudo christian imagery with no meaning. I really don’t get the reverence for it.

The Rebuild movies are just really trash cash grabs to sell more anime girl merch. They are filled with cardboard cutout versions of the characters you love and know from the TV show there just to put some generic boring action mech movies in front of people so they sell tshirts and robot figures.

I don’t think so. It’s mentioned that they have a “personality transplant OS” technology that’s used in the MAGI supercomputer and also in the Evas. Nerv knew that Yui vanished into Unit 01, and they failed to retrieve her. They knew something similar happened with Asuka’s mother too, and that afterwards Asuka was able to synchronise extraordinarily well with Unit 02. Rei tries to tell Asuka that her Eva has a soul, but she won’t listen.

It’s not made explicit anywhere in the show, but it’s reasonable to think that the difficulty Nerv has in finding pilots isn’t just to do with the kids, it’s also to do with having copies of their mothers souls they can implant into the Evas. So, the mothers aren’t disposable - they are necessary for the pilots to synchronise with their Evas. Nerv / Seele is exploiting that relationship and the grief of the children in order to achieve their objectives.

While I’m excited for the Rewatch cast to get into Evangelion in the spring, I’m like 238811x more excited that y’all are about to watch Shin Godzilla. I think it’s a masterful work that is only one small part kaiju movie, and a much larger part disaster movie with a dash of political succession movie to spice it up. Whereas the original Godzilla was a metaphor for nuclear weapons, Shin Godzilla is very clearly an indictment of the modern Japanese government and particularly its shameful response to the 2011 earthquake.

I can’t with EVA tbh my thoughts pretty much start and end with your depression isn’t an excuse for misogyny.

I’m at best middling on evangelion but this bit from the creator talking about it at least always makes me laugh.

I think the original piece was so bad, both on its merits and the fact that the author and editor were so blinded by privilege that they couldn’t see what was staring them in the face, that it warranted a full dose of daylight. Doubly unfortunate is the fact that domestic violence is often written-off with he-said, she-said ‘sour grapes’ excuses unless readers are confronted explicit detail that becomes impossible to deny.

This may be my crazy pet theory, but I’m of the belief that Yui is actually the architect of the whole series, and deliberately implanted her soul in unit 01. It’s implied she was the genius behind the eva project, and she had a lot more motive to do so than Gendo did, after all…