Find a Cure for Open World Fatigue on the Waterfront of Limbo

Free Play is a place where we write about interesting, entertaining or enlightening free games you can play right now.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/gyjbaw/open-world-fatigue-cure-on-the-waterfront

I appreciate the point being made. While I love the Witcher III as one of my favorite games this gen there is certainly a case for simplifying an experience. Good examples for me are ThatGameCompany’s Flower and Journey. Both games are simple in premise, if not visually, and tell a story simply by traveling, yet evoke a surprising amount of emotion and feelings with them.

Sometimes less is more.

@FallenGrace. I agree. My wife and I often find ourselves drawn to games that embrace the “less is more” philosophy and often find they seem to land with more emotional impact than the handful of AAA games do these days.

I’m excited to try this one. :smile:

@outunderstars Agreed. My love of indie games has really blossomed this generation as they can be just as impactful if not more so with a lot of the bloat removed :slight_smile:

I might check this out later. It’s funny, one of my favorite things about the Last Guardian is just wandering and talking to Trico. I have on more than one occasion sat with Trico so long that he fell asleep and I watched him for 10 whole minutes. Games do have a habit of mistaking excess with compelling complexity. We need more games that emphasis sense of place.

Hey, hi, I’m Natalie, I made this :smiley:

This was super nice to read! I make games because I want to make spaces that I enjoy -existing- in. I made Exile really just for myself, so seeing this picked up on (and so soon after posting it on itch? that’s bonkers) has been like super gratifying. Like, legit just made an account for this forum so I could post, because this has completely made my evening. Cheers.

Welcome! Would you be willing to share a bit more about the development of the game and your motivations for making it? I’d love to read more about the process!

(Yo I messed up and meant to quote, haven’t used a forum in half-a-decade)

Hey yeah, sure. I’ll try a little brain-dump

So a bunch of folk in my circle have been messing around with Bitsy for a while (heavily recommend checking out @ragzouken , @jctwood and @ClaireM0rley on twitter for that), and I’d sorta gotten excited for a tool that more more in-depth than flickgame (which I’d been messing with), but less technical than Unity.

A lot of what I do in game development is creating spaces - from professionally creating DLC for Minecraft for a year or two, or in hundreds of unfinished Source maps. I wanted to get a good feel for the potential of Bitsy by creating a little world that felt alien, strange, but with enough holding things together to feel like a concrete location. There’s a bit of Pyre in there - I liked the idea of a space that was a dumping ground for the unwanted - but there’s also a bit of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. The latter had me obsessed with creating a game centred around exploring a desert.

Doing tiles in such a limited tool is just fun. With two colours and an 8x8 grid, there’s only so much possibility, so when a rock, a fence, water or a frog-man take form it feels like genuine triumph. Having dramatic cuts mid-room was a takeaway from an earlier game, Transit, which itself took the idea from Brendan Chung’s work.

But… yeah. Now that this is out, I’m looking forwards to trying more structurally weird stuff in the tool. I’m still completely blown away by the reception this little experiment received, though.

Bitsy is such a cool tool and something I’ve wanted to mess around with for a while. What you’ve done with it is super inspiring!