'Fire Emblem: Three Houses' Sees the Value, and Complexity, of Political Revolution

This article contains major spoilers for Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gyzq9y/fire-emblem-revolution-flame-emperor
2 Likes

…Wait. WAIT!

“she obliterated Flayn with a critical hit when it turned out my Byleth didn’t have a high enough support level to talk her down.”

I DIDN’T REALIZE THIS WAS A THING OH NOOOO I’VE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE

3 Likes

Still working through the early game, so I’ll have to wait on reading through this piece.

But wow, an article by Xeecee on the site! I’ve been listening to theirs and @/orangepidgeon’s podcast nonstop over the past few months, I love their work.

5 Likes

You and me both. Solidarity in our sordid deeds!!

1 Like

This article totally reflects my feelings about this game. I played through Three Houses with the constant expectation of a “gotcha!” moment that would confirm that yes, this is really just another JRPG that doesn’t really commit to its themes. (Call me cynical… Fates and Awakening didn’t set very high expectations when it comes to political drama.)

The moment actually never came, I’m still looking for it. This game’s plot has weaknesses, and glazes over some things I wish it would dig deeper in, but it’s surprisingly thoughtful and thorough about its subject matter. I recently found out that all the paths have wildly different endings, with different antagonists, and that means finding out what Fodlan looks like from all the angles is gonna be a major draw for repeated playthroughs.

4 Likes

it’s not that important, but ingrid and mercedes are blue lions

1 Like

It says a lot about the world building and characterization that I get irrationally angry when i hear people saying that Edelgard is a villain. She may not be perfect, but her war against the church and nobility is just damnit!

11 Likes

This is why I think Edelgard in many ways… is like Daenerys. Beside the fact that both have white hair and come from a long line of powerful rulers who’s power have waned over time, both wants to destroy the current political structure of nobles and bring egalitarianism and peace. Both also struggle with the fact they want to free the world of the idea of nobility while also using the justification that they are nobility themselves to bring this world into being. Of course not a perfect comparison but I think its an interesting one.

As you can tell I would love a Fire Emblem X Game of thrones game.

2 Likes