First game(s) you ever bought on Steam?

The first two I bought were Portal 2 and Bastion back in 2011 while I was still in grad school.

I didn’t know anything about Steam at the time, but was interested in picking up a copy of Portal 2 because I had watched my brother play through Portal on Xbox.

My first steam game was half-life and counter strike during when steam was first out. I was when my brother was still living with me and mom and saw that I had a decent computer so he showed me some computer games. It was then that he had a extra steam account so he handed me it and to this day I have over 100 games.

G…goat simulator?

Which is equal parts hilarious and embarrassing.

The Orange Box! I bought Half-Life 2 (and Episode 1) physically in early 2007, so that’s when I would’ve first installed Steam, and then I got that when it came out later that year. from what I remember there was little to no community aspect at all on Steam back then - was there even a friends list? does anyone remember?

I’m not sure about in 2007, but I’m pretty sure Steam had friends by 2011 because I would’ve added my brother when I created my account since he was the one who introduced me to Steam and I wanted to do Portal 2 co-op with him.

apparently it was FEZ in 2013? I thought it was much earlier than that.

I bought Portal on a disc, which insisted I installed some nonsense program called “Steam” that then made me download the game and wouldn’t let me play it offline.

Needless to say, I never used it again.

I joined steam when it came to Mac in 2010, so the first game I got was the free copy of Portal that Valve was giving away as a promotion.

My first purchase though, was a bundle of Team Fortress 2 and Garry’s Mod - I bought the bundle because there was a gamemode in Garry’s Mod that I was really interested in (Ultimate Chimera Hunt, I was big into the EarthBound/Mother fandom back then) and it needed TF2 to work, so I thought I’d be spending most of my time in Garry’s Mod.

It’s now 7 years later and I never did play that game mode and have spent over 1000 hours in TF2.

I had Steam for all the physical stuff & mods but the first actual store shopping I did… well I’m pretty happy with my taste in digital game purchases a decade ago TBH.

You got me beat. While most of my oldest purchases still hold up, Dead Island definitely fooled me with a trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg.

Musical Puzzle game Chime and the Orange Box. I could have sworn I got Monday Night Combat too, but apparently I don’t have it, so no idea how I played it. Definitely owned it though.

The Orange Box and Battlefield 2 back in 2009/2010. The Orange Box was a digital purchase that I got as as gift, I bought BF2 on sale for like 5 bucks.

Same here! Holy cow, that was magic when Steam came to OSX. I think my first actual purchase was either Torchlight or Left 4 Dead 2.

Another boring Orange Box getter here. Then a pre-IV GTA bundle.

Apparently I bought The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom for $0.49 and have still never played it lmao. I didn’t have a proper gaming PC until about 2 years ago, so I only bought indies and other low powered games I could play on my laptop.

Huh, if I remember correctly I think I both purchased and completed Bastion as my first game on Steam.

Bioshock
Beyond Good and Evil
The Ship

For some reason my purchase history doesn’t go as far back as my Steam account. I had already redeemed some of my Half-Life keys in Steam when it first came out, but my first purchase was the Half-Life 2 Gold steam release, which included:

Half-Life 2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve’s back catalog currently available on Steam, Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games, three different Half-Life 2 posters, Half-Life 2 hat, Half-Life 2 postcard, Half-Life 2 stickers, Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD, and a chance to win a trip to Valve (one trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).
*Available upon product’s release.

Way back in 2004.

I first installed Steam when they had Portal for free, and wanted to snag it even though the PC I had at the time couldn’t even run Civilization 4. I didn’t touch Steam until I finally bought my first PC. This was like 2010-2011ish?

looks like it was TF2 on both my accounts (my first account got VAC-banned cause i got phished like a dumbass when i was 16)