FLCL 2 & 3 in 2018

First trailer came out at Anime Expo today:

Hearing some Pillows riffs with new FLCL visuals…fuck, everyone. I’m feelin’ some kind of way right now. Still very curious, and a bit skeptical, about how the show will actually turn out but for me this was a nice first step in selling me on it.

What do y’all think? Excited? Mad? Apathetic?

“Cautiously optimistic” for me, especially hearing that they got The Pillows to do the soundtrack here. It’ll be tough trying to intentionally capture that lightning in a bottle that was rather unintentional the last time.

I hope they aren’t trying to intentionally capture anything. Best case scenario, and this sounds like exactly what they’re doing, is to get up and coming creators to run wild with it and do something fresh. Don’t worry about living up to the legacy too much.

the bizarre thing about Production IG to me is that they’re the one anime studio that’s been consistently willing to look westward for what’s a good, marketable idea

FLCL was at most a sleeper hit in Japan (and even that’s optimistic) but it is huge in the States

I’m curious to see how their gamble pays off in that regard

When I first heard about this, I was awkwardly almost immediately upset, if not angry.

I got mad about the lack of originality in all forms of media.
I got mad about adding needless crap to what was complete, and succinct, and great.
I got mad about changing the best body horror/coming of age (I guess depending on the viewer)/discomfort marathon show.

Then, I watched the trailer.
Should have been my first step.
I’m so into this, depending on how it shakes out.

I’m still nervous in a weird way. (Weird because, what FLCL meant to me at the time, and what it means on its own doesn’t/won’t change. It’s just another thing, who cares if it’s awful. It doesn’t change what that show meant.)
I’m optimistic though. Maybe this will explore other aspects. The trailer, to me, suggested a similar exploration of puberty/coming of age to girls/women in a way that I think could add a lot to the story/ip/idea.

But… still very nervous. Excited. I guess the word is anxious? I hope it isn’t just “Hey, we can expand this into being another dumb cliche, meaningless anime, and it has a huge following, so let’s print cash with the ip.”

Here’s a list of directors for each episode.

Its been pointed out that the directors are new directors. If this is another Space Dandy, but for new talent that would be great.

I still wish Haruko wasn’t in this, but sure. Nostalgia sells.

Here’s a cut from the directors of the first two episodes.

FLCL is probably my favourite… anything. Of all time. When they announced a new series I wasn’t sure, but this trailer worked on me.

That bass riff started and I freaked. Immediately knew it was The Pillows. Immediately knew they were doing something right.

Haruko being in it isn’t a red flag unless Naota is also in it. That story is over. The new characters look really cool, and I want to learn about them. Haruko is still looking for Atomsk at the end of FLCL, so maybe she’s there doing that, playing a minor role in the story while the dope new guitar-toting woman and the two new kids become the focus. That said, the MM Factory looks a lot like the one in Naota’s town. Has IG said if there’s been a time skip? Is it present day? Maybe middle aged Naota is something I could stand, if he took an Amarao like role.

If anything, this is going to trigger my annual re-watch of the original series, and that’s always a good thing.

Sorry if this post comes off as rambling but I’m in a minor state of both genuine and nostalgic freakout.

This is super surprising, and like many others, my cognitive dissonance over this leans more so towards anticipatory excitement. The Pillows being one of the constants carried over definitely helped a bunch in getting me comfortable towards sequels actually being a thing.

I’ve never watched FLCL and I don’t, I think, have any idea what it is? Do people like it?

This is the official synopsis:

"In the new season of FLCL, many years have passed since Naota and Haruhara Haruko shared their adventure together. Meanwhile, the war between the two entities known as Medical Mechanica and Fraternity rages across the galaxy. Enter Hidomi, a young teenaged girl who believes there is nothing amazing to expect from her average life, until one day when a new teacher named Haruko arrives at her school. Soon enough, Medical Mechanica is attacking her town and Hidomi discovers a secret within her that could save everyone, a secret that only Haruko can unlock.

But why did Haruko return to Earth? What happened to her Rickenbacker 4001 she left with Naota? And where did the human-type robot ‘Canti’ go?"

Hard to read into much since, even after the trailer, we know next to nothing. My personal read on this is that 2 and 3 are going to be a kind of anthology thing. Each part is a totally different story but they share similar specific elements like Haruko and MM.

It’s a hell of a thing that you really need to just watch to understand. The first season is only 6 episodes so it’s a real quick watch, highly recommend it.

I feel very Conflicted about this now.

FLCL was a huge part of my early college experience (what a surprise that a show about growing up resonated with a mostly directionless college student, right?) and while I don’t know there’s any chance of lightning striking twice - and 12 or 13 years later, no less - I’m cautiously excited now. I listened to (still listen to, honestly) a Lot of the pillows so having that in the trailer was a thing.

But FLCL was such a time and place thing for me so I don’t know, I DON’T KNOW MAN.

I didn’t need more of this but if it’s good, I’ll watch it.

FLCL is probably my favourite anime (series) of all time, part of which I’m sure is due to not overstaying it’s welcome. For now, I’m cautiously optimistic. It’s one of those things that’s tough to recommend, because so much of the show is playing on anime tropes, that you’ll only get the most out of it if you’ve watched a bunch of other anime already.

Watching FLCL was one of those things that I believe pushed me over the edge from, “I kinda like anime and I’m in Japanese class I guess,” to the point where I am now just shy of a year living in Japan. So yeah, that trailer awoke things in me that I didn’t think were still there. It’s the music more than anything.