For Girls Who Have Waited Decades, 'Wonder Woman' Finally Saves the Day

I adored 'Wonder Woman,' but I really needed this movie when I was a little girl.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/for-girls-who-have-waited-decades-wonder-woman-finally-saves-the-day

I remember when I was growing up as a little boy that Xena gave me some of that compassionate but strong woman vibe. Not sure if it would hold up.

This film, like you said @Danika , manages to form a character who deeply cares for the world while being very good at flipping and shooting things. I appreciate the symbolism of her fights–did people notice her bouncing off of the supportive backs of her man friends in the sniper fight and how a corset of metal is killing her near the end?

I also appreciated the racial themes, including lines about being the wrong color to act and the Native American character explaining that Chris Pine’s people killed his people. It just feels like the writers and director were consistently thoughtful and progressive, reflecting the realities of the time and ideas people should be considering.

Great think piece! Thank you!

I immediately thought of Inside Out. I saw it a few times in theaters and need to get back to it. If a movie about emotions had come out like that when I was a kid, I would definitely like to think that it would have helped me understand things like my depression and anxiety better.

It shows that being one toned all the time is damaging, or that peoples expectations of someone being one toned can be just as damaging. I can’t recall how many times (to this day) I hear “Spencer, you’re always so happy.” It’s not that I’m hiding emotions, it’s just that people like to see certain shades, and communicating that we are all complicated emotionally, can be hard.

It also touches subtly on the ruling emotions, and how we are all sorta controlled be certain emotions over others, even when we are keeping ourselves in check. It was such a healing movie.

Also, Wonder Woman was amazing! Seeing it again, for sure.

I enjoyed the movie overall, had a few issues with it. But I’m going to take my niece to see it in Theaters in India.

[spoiler]IMHO it felt like such a throw away line because nothing happened after the Native American person said that ( his name in the movie was ‘chief’ :sweat: ), then after a few scenes he decided to use ‘smoke signals’ to pass on messages.
In another scene the Turkish person who was acting like the driver for the Disguised American Spy decided to use stereotypical (frankly a racist Indian accent) to fool the German guard while being called a dog/degraded by the American Spy in disguise.

I remember watching that scene in India and everyone in the Theater going like Wtf is going on.
Especially considering that since the writers decided to do that whole thing was because he was ‘the brown guy’, it didn’t matter that his character was suppose to be from Turkey which (actually was an Allied with axis Germany) and the fact that the Indians were fighting the Germans (India was fighting for the Allied side alongside Britain and America), so it would have made more sense to have him speak in a Turkish accent, as they were fighting together with Germany, and not a person from the enemy country.[/spoiler]

Those are fair criticisms! [spoiler]I didn’t read the smoke signals as insensitive, but I guess I’m unaware if they actually have any history in Native American cultures or are just white people made up things. Now I want to read more soon.

For the racist acting piece, I read it as Turkish but could be wrong. Clearly the Indian audience was miffed. And saw it as a reference to his acting background, which I’m sure at the time would have required brown people to take on stereotypical accents and belittle themselves. A person who has power putting themselves in a racist position to continue that power is a hard piece of writing, I feel. It recognizes that the depiction is racist but also has the racist depiction.

There’s a reality to him having that skill, but maybe a cool off scene after where they talked about how fucked up that was? Otherwise the audience could be laughing with racism rather than at it[/spoiler].

Thanks for helping me think more!

I really liked Wonder Woman, seeing Gal Gadot in action reminded me of Christopher Reeve in Superman or Toby Maguire as Spiderman stopping the train in Spiderman 2. It reminded me of why superhero stories are important despite there being so many being made nowadays.

I enjoyed the movie, it was definitely fun and I loved Gal Gadot in it. I was really frustrated by how the action was directed though, for some reason someone decided it’s a good idea to have slow-motion on pretty much every kick, punch, gunshot, etc… Slo-mo is a tool to occasionally add impact, and when used properly it can have amazing results (example from one of my favorite action movies of all time). The frankly ridiculous overuse of it in Wonder Woman made what could have been a great movie merely very good for me. Luckily, everything besides the direction of the action was really great, so I’ll probably watch it again at some point.