GaaS - Games as a Shutting down on

So another week, another F2P game is going away (along with all the things people thought they had purchased to play with and enjoy on the servers - rentals that only actually exist for as long as the publisher decides you’re still valuable as future income).

https://marvelheroes.com/news/news-articles/marvel-heroes-omega-shutting-down

There will now be a period of six weeks where the game runs without taking more money (and Gazillion are planning to patch in the premium content as free for anyone to enjoy) and then it’s as if the game never existed. Assets that exist only in some archives and never to be played with again.

Of course, nothing is new about this compared with any of the other announcements around MMOs, F2P games, and anything else that requires constant online connectivity to run. But it does feel like we’re becoming completely numb to this. “Oh, of course these cultural artefacts will be burned to the ground by their publisher/licensor when they’re not sufficiently profitable and anyone who has spent real money will be left with nothing but memories.”

That little voice in my head is screaming: this shouldn’t be normal. The MMOification of “social games” and classic co-operative/action games via F2P and online-only restrictions has seemed to just normalise the way things people have paid for are just taken away. “Sorry, it was really only a rental with an end date we can pick from a hat - six weeks is how long you just paid to enjoy whatever content you just purchased.”

Oh man, this sucks. I have to agree that the acceptance around this practice is weird, though I’m at a loss as to what should be done in these sorts of situations. Like with any sort of artistic medium there are a lot of growing pains especially concerning preservation, and while video games are a relatively young medium, online games might as well be metaphorical toddlers. Mix a young medium like video games with egregious business practices and a lack of regulatory practices around preservation and a lot of games are just going to disappear in the coming years.

It stinks. I’ve been fortunate enough for this not to happen to any games I was personally invested in, but a couple months ago had to figure out a way to break the news to my 4-year-old that the Skylanders card game on his tablet he was trying to play doesn’t work anymore and he’s never going to be able to play it again. It was gross.

I used to really enjoy playing this game as a way to just zone out and listen to podcasts.

Kind of a bummer it’s closing down but I’m pretty sure I had been hearing game play quality had gone down over time.

Another one bites the dust.

Less than 6 months after being released, Capcom announced that they’re shutting down their Puzzle Fighter remake on mobile. When the servers go offline on July 31st, it won’t even have been available to the public for a full year. Anybody that spent money on that game should be absolutely furious.

As someone who spent money on it, I’m not necessarily furious - because I only spent like ten bucks on it, so whatever (here’s where I say that I am fortunate enough to be able to shrug off a ten dollar purchase that goes wrong, and completely understand someone who has to be more careful being incandescent with rage over this) - but damn, you ain’t even gonna give it a year? And you gonna do it for fucking Dead Rising, of all things?

That’s some bullshit. I would love if they just left the servers and shop up and didn’t add any new content. Or shit, port it to console and let it live there. Actually, just port Super Puzzle Fighter II over to the Switch and we’ll call it even.

I have a very small sliver of hope that they’ll put out some (hopefully) microtransaction-less version for consoles, based on the PEGI filing they did last month.

Then again, you’d think that if it was still coming that they’d mention something about it in the press release about the mobile version shutting down.

Fingers crossed, I guess.

It seems like it might have been more insulting for the press release to say “we’re shutting down the game you spent money on, but feel free buy it again somewhere else.” (I still hope that happens, though. Puzzle Fighter owns and should be on every platform.)