Games for Waypoint 101

Patrick mentioned wanted to be challenged, and I feel like for this crew, being challenged means playing online multiplayer games with a competitive mindset.

I know competitive games feel completely unaccessable, but I think it’s enjoyable once you accept your comparison point is how bad you were at the start, and not how good everyone else is. I have like 200 hours with puyo puyo tetris online, even though my winrate was like 20%, but that 20% feels great when i start at like 10%.

Fighting games, shooters, or mobas would all be fine for that. I don’t know if they are good for the 101 format, but it might be a good experiment for something outside your comfort zone.

JRPGs might also be challenging and better for the 101 format, but there’s so many I wouldn’t know where you’d start there. Maybe even Pokemon?

When Austin first started making suggestions for things to recommend and he said the words “point n’ click adventure games” my mind immediately jumped to The Longest Journey. A gem from my childhood TLJ has such a cool premise and sense of place to it. Complete with political and social undertones that blew me away as a young kid in the 1990’s. I’m not sure how well it holds up but I remember really loving it. I would love to hear the team get in there and pick it apart.

Some quick ideas in light of the podcast request;

• The shapeshifting detective
  • Rust
  • Don’t starve together
  • The oddworld reboot
  • Hob (such a sad and lovely game with the immediate studio closure)
  • Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines (+ patch)
  • Android Cactus
  • Observer

A couple thoughts after listening to the podcast:

• For something not AAA: Transistor (or Bastion, but I prefer Transistor) Some great games that are finally old enough for a retrospective look.
  • Pathologic and The Void are some of my favorite games, and were mentioned up thread. Pathologic HD was release in the past few years, and a sequel of sorts is in the works. That being said, I prefer The Void. They’re both just weird, atmospheric, metaphor-ridden experiences.
  • Megaman Battle Network (3 is generally considered the best). Suggesting because it’s my favorite and criminally underrated. An incredibly well put together RPG with an innovative combat/progression system. I swear this game would be my GDC talk.
2 Likes

Also, I forget if you have an age minimum for these. Hyper Light Drifter?

1 Like

Suggestions:

Etrian Odyssey IV or V (3DS) Excellent dungeon-crawling throwback RPG with unique mapping mechanics and great art.
Katamari Forever (PS3)- Seeing the great reaction to people seeing and playing Katamari Damacy for the first time on the charity stream, I’d love for people to experience this one, especially some of the story stuff. 8-4 does the localization, and the story shines.
Phantom Dust (Xbox One re-release) Free on Xbox and unique for its platform and time period.
Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward (PC)

Just heard finished this most recent waypoint radio and figured I’d put forward some suggestions:

For a few games that are quite charming in a classic Nintendo way, Luigi’s Mansion, Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

For something that might be a little different in more ways than one, I think with the world championships going on right now chess could be a cool thing to dig into and evaluate, especially against tactics based games that came out this year like into the breach.

For something on the smaller side that’s a bit tough that I’m not sure everyone on the team has played, Celeste is a fantastic, tough platformer that deals with some interesting themes.

It’s probably a bit too much on the longer side, but I would really like for them to talk about Dragon’s Dogma.

I don’t know if anyone on the staff has had the chance to play it, but Detention is an oft overlooked horror game that has garnered somewhat of a cult following. It’s quite short, only about 3-4 hours, and has been recommended to me a bunch of times by the folks that have played it. It’s also available on most modern platforms (PC, Switch, PS4). The basic premise goes as follows:

Set in 1960s Taiwan of the White Terror period, students Wei and Ray find themselves trapped and vulnerable in Greenwood High School (翠華中學) which is located in a remote mountainous area. The place they once knew has changed in unsettling ways, haunted by evil creatures known as the “lingered” (魍魎). While hiding from the rampaging monsters, the protagonists unveil mysteries which slowly reveal the dark past of the cursed school.

There’s not a lot of coverage of games that come out of Taiwan so I’d be interested to hear what folks make of it. That said, there was a piece on Waypoint about the game if this interests anyone.

Aside from that game, I would also be happy to see a 101 for the aforementioned Mark of the Ninja or We Know The Devil. The former was recently remastered and is considered by many one of the greatest stealth games, so I’d be curious to see how it holds up. WKTD is one of my favourite games and with the release of Heaven Will Be Mine this year, it’d be cool to see folks go back to try that group’s previous work.

8 Likes

I’d really like to see the Waypoint crew take on Tactics Ogre : Let Us Cling Together.At the time, It was known for its mature political story telling, and I’d like to see if it has held up. Seems well suited for the Tactical Tuesday duo and has potential for Danielle (tactics toddler) and Patrick (is there a Donnel equivalent he can raise from humble beginnings?!)

Alternatively, 428: Shibuya Scramble is a well regarded Japanese visual novel that was ported to modern platforms this year. A “whirlwind tour of downtown Tokyo” with “over 50 endings” (according to the steam page) that received a perfect score from Famitsu and was voted the 2nd best adventure game OF ALL TIME by its readers.

3 Likes

Transistor is a great shout!

I’m echoing ideas that have already been mentioned in here multiple times, but the pairings of We Know the Devil/Heaven Will Be Mine and Transistor/Bastion both sound really great. Especially the latter, as visual novels don’t leave much room for conversations about gameplay, and the Supergiant games are very accessible across many platforms. I was trying to think of a good option for a fully cooperative multiplayer game, but most of what comes to mind are too similar to what you have all already done (Dying Light), or lacking in story/content to discuss on a full length podcast (Helldivers).

It’s a long one, but having just completed Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, I would love to hear the crew do a deep dive on the game. I know Patrick was a fan of the first 2 in the series, so his thoughts on the ending of V3 would be particuarly facinating to hear.

1 Like

I just searched this topic for Never Alone and can’t believe it hasn’t been mentioned. It’s a criminally slept on platformer that is steeped in the lore of the native peoples of Northern Alaska. It’s on a ton of platforms, is probably in everyone’s PS+ library, and would be the first 2D game featured on 101. Plus it’s got a cute fox!

3 Likes

I’ll throw another vote behind both Transistor, Heaven Will Be Mine, and Massive Chalice for stuff that fits the criteria in Austin’s post.

For stuff that might be tricky to do thanks to platform restriction, I can’t think of anything I’d like more in this moment than to see a 101 for Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, so I’d like to echo that suggestion too.

Beyond those, I’d love to see just about any of the current generation of isometric RPGs done – either POE, Wasteland 2, Tyranny (this especially could fill the forum discussion and a 2 hour podcast), Divinity: OS 1 or 2, etc. I’m pretty sure these have almost all come out on both PC and consoles at this point.

3 Likes

Tyranny is incredible but lack of controller support and 25 hour playtime might be a bit much

3 Likes

Yeah just looked it up, I didn’t realize before posting that it was one of the few that didn’t get ported. Unfortunately, since it strikes me as the easiest besides maybe Torment to make the transition to controller, it’s very Dragon Age-y in its combat.

I would love love love to hear them do a 101 of Riven, the sequel to Myst. It remains to this day one of the single most cohesive game experiences ever designed, the world design is so thorough and detailed and its expressed in mechanics at every single turn. Its the best point and click adventure ever released, honestly, and outside of enthusiast circles it feels like its treated as an artifact

1 Like

So, as much as I would love to hear people talk about We Know The Devil, I can’t help but approach that with a little bit of weariness. Waypoint has, so far, had a bit of trouble with discussions surrounding trans issues, and, for me at least, Venus’s story arc in that game was pretty formative to how I saw that game. That being said, I think the Waypoint crew is more than capable of talking about these things. I guess I’m mostly adding this in to say: Hey. We Know The Devil is a very good video game. Please tread carefully around trans issues if it’s the next Waypoint 101.

3 Likes

I always think about games I’d like to see an outsiders perspective on or something with a sort of rich history. With that in mind:

Age of Empires (HD) - If we’re talking about drawing people into having discussions on strategy games and on a topic that does have multiple angles of approach to it. I know Rob has thoughts on the ease of going back to something that is, mechanically, antiquated and the value of putting a very nice coat of paint on top of systems and campaigns that still show their age. I would love to hear how the rest of the crew, not necessarily as familiar as Rob, would feel about this and how they approach a game that is rooted in the early days of the RTS.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - Because the best Western game deserves the best attention.

1 Like