Games for Waypoint 101

Pokemon Go

I have never played it, and really have never had an interest in it, but it would be different and challenging for the group, and I think we could come away with some really interesting discussions on play, games, and cooperation.

3 Likes

I just wanted to second Detention! It’s a game I’ve been meaning to get around to for quite a while, and I would love to hear what everyone thinks about it.

1 Like

To fulfill the criteria of ‘challenging puzzle games with controller support’ I’d like to second Return of the Obra Dinn. It’s recent but definitely worth a look. Also I realllllyyyyy want some chat about the first season of the new Hitman

2 Likes

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

4 Likes

Okay, this one could be a hassel to deal with since it has only been relased on GBA and Wii-U but:

Megaman Zero
Mega_Man_Zero_cover

I think Waypoint could real get into it because of how it directly examines politics of the Megaman X serie and goes ‘perhaps the institution our heroes fought for in five games (at that point in time) had messed up politics that could easily be used as a way to silience population’. I think it’s rare for official media to re-examine their own games in that way especialy since Megaman Zero wasn’t continuation of some game that came out years ago but was meant to be direct continuation of a game that came out like 2 years ago. I think it would be real easy to dig in for a decent length podcasts.

There is another cavet to this sugestion thought, other than just platform availability, and that is the fact it is best and most interesting when compared to the game serie that came before it which brings me to my next sugestion:

Megaman X serie

header

Now, these games are available on several platforms and are also a collection so I would reckon it’s a huge bonus. While I don’t think one game would be quite enough for a length disscusion it could easliy be few first games as these games aren’t super long, just can be challenging. I think there is a bit less to talk about here than in Zero serie but there still could be a lot of interesting disscusions about this game (like, the bosses are just the coolest, perfect mix of badass robot furries) and how

Summary

X and Zero are fuckin boyfriends okay, this is year 21XX and gay robots are REAL-

To adress other sugestions I would also be interested in disscusion of Detention, Bastion, Morrowind or We Know the Devil.

1 Like

Now here’s a BIG ASS list of several other games I think would be awesome for Waypoint 101, and mostly converge with what Austin and the crew are looking for:

Anodyne would be a perfect fit, especially since it’s having a sequel coming out soon! I totally didn’t get the story the first time I played it, so I would love to hear some people dig into it.

I think the crew could have a really cool conversation on Subsurface Circular, and its sequel (which I need to pick up!) Short games, too! Robots and labor politics seems right up Waypoint’s alley!

Dujanah is a fucking trip y’all and I just want someone to help me understand it. Extremely flawed but extremely interesting. Also, Beeswing is Absolutely Incredible, but I donno!

Since a lot of the crew has already played it, Hollow Knight I think is a good pick? There’s a lot of interesting lore going on as well as awesome design

The Shrouded Isle would fit nicely with some of the discussion around Lovecraft, and has some really interesting dynamics around story and mechanical interplay.

In light of recent discussion, Quadrilateral Cowboy and others like Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving by Blendo Games might be fun?

In line with co-op games, Kisima Ingitchuna is a beautiful game that was contracted by a tribal council and has an emphasis on co-op. Though conversations around indigenous issues might get dicey.

I’d actually love to hear a discussion on the recent releases of Subserial Network and Return of the Obra Dinn!

4 Likes

Oh, I just remembered: wouldn’t Papers, please be a good fit for 101? I think it could be real interesting.

1 Like

I’ll echo the desire for Heaven Will Be Mine and We Know The Devil, given the ideas expressed through those games, and the neat way they form a pair. I’d love to hear a discussion on the duo.

On a completely different note though, I’d like to suggest the game Dwarf Fortress. That’s the weirdest of weird picks and hoo boy do I know it, but please bear with me for a moment.

For the unfamiliar (which I’m assuming will be most people), Dwarf Fortress is a free civilization builder and roguelike indie game developed by brothers Tarn and Zach Adams. First ‘released’ in 2006, the game has been in a state of consistent, fan-supported development to this day. The latest update released July 7th, for reference. In the primary mode (the titular Fortress Mode), players select a parcel of randomly-generated wilderness and attempt to build and manage a settlement: you begin with 7 dwarves and a cart’s worth of supplies, and do your best from there.

Now, that premise doesn’t sound like much. But the thing about Dwarf Fortress is that it’s a game built on the idea of “simple concept, surprising depth.” Your dwarves aren’t an abstract population ticker that goes up and down as you make choices, they’re unique individuals with preferences and relationships with each other and the world around them. You can’t just slap together one Super Dorm with a bunch of beds next to the work area and call it a day, because dwarves have physical and mental health to account for as you design your Fortress — and balancing security, industry, health, and morale become genuine moral quandaries as you progress. You’ll learn and be surprised by what can happen as you play, experiment, fail (and how the game celebrates failure!), and try again.

Is the game a bit rough? Sure is — there’s a bit of a learning curve to the controls and to the casual observer it’s not pretty by any standard. But I can’t think of a better game to examine and unpack as a community. Some of the earliest Let’s Plays online involved forums passing around DF save files and detailing the events of an in-game year, making communal choices and naming dwarves after community members.

In terms of game design, it’s fascinating: it’s a roguelike born before Spelunky and Rogue Legacy kicked off the roguelike/lite revival and made the genre popular/accessible in the mainstream, that’s kept chugging along without paying the world much mind. It has the in/famous level of detail seen in games like Star Citizen (it tracks the status of bodies down to their nerves!) but treats it like no big deal. And it reminds the player time and time again that “Losing is fun!” — that ‘victory’ isn’t the goal, but that you should enjoy the experience of playing. But at the same time, you can’t have that experience without bumping up against real questions about the world we live in: you’ll struggle to manage a population of immigrants you can’t cherry-pick, have to decide how to build a militia — and whether you’ll have a police force or formal justice system at all — and what to do if a noble moves in and starts acting like their title makes them worth more than the average dwarf. How to interact with other cultures, how to attend to the wounded and the sick, how to balance environmental stewardship with constant growth, and so on.

Again, this game is odd to the point that a lot of people bounce right off. But I think there’s room for a lot of strong, insightful discussions to come out of playing it. Plus, if streams of this happened it’d be Hot Mic Mornings chill, and that’s always cool.

7 Likes

Divinity Original Sin 1 or 2 - 4 player coop run, please.
Brigador - Mechs and synths for days
Door Kickers - Because Three Moves Ahead never talked about it

1 Like

Don’t know if this is in here already or not but VIVA PIÑATA: TROUBLE IN PARADISE would rule! It’s a secret RTS, it’s incredibly cute, and it’s very different than anything the Waypoint crew has played for 101 yet.

3 Likes

Just finished listening to the latest podcast, and Austin said he wanted something that pushed the team out of their comfort zone of AAA and B-tier games, often shooters (or heavily combat focused).

I would like to suggest:

The Games of Brendon Chung / Blendo Games

Previous 101s have focused on a single game, but never a single creator. Brendon’s games span genres, but are tied together in theme and art-style, and by tracking the progress of a single creator over time, you can see how they change and improve. Instead of focusing on one big game from a big team, you’re focusing on lots of smaller games from a single very individual creator.

Stacked together, his games combined give a decent runtime - enough to talk about, and you can skip some of the more procedural stuff if you need to make up time. But I would love to hear you guys discuss games like Gravity Bone, Thirty Flights, Atom Zombie Smasher etc.

Brendon’s games include:

Barista (2008, PC)
Gravity Bone (2009, PC)
Flotilla (2010, PC and Xbox Live)
Air Forte (2010, PC and Xbox Live)
Atom Zombie Smasher (2011, PC)
Thirty Flights of Loving (2012, PC)
Quadrilateral Cowboy (2016, PC)
Flotilla 2 (2018, PC/HTC Vive)

Perhaps you like the idea of doing a Waypoint 101 on a single creator but don’t love the idea of going through this back catalogue specifically. In that case, maybe there’s another person or team you could picture following. I think it’s a neat idea.

I have some other suggestions for single games:

Kentucky Route Zero
Yeah, it’s unfinished, but it has so much to say. And tackling an episodic game could be interesting - hearing your thought on how things change as each episode releases and ambitions / expectations change.

Minecraft
This might seem like a strange one, but Rob mentioned about a ‘cooperative waypoint 101’. What if you started a Minecraft server together and relived that experience? Can it possibly hold up to whatever histories you have with the game and survival games as a modern genre?

Super Mario Galaxy
Very different from every other game you’ve played so far, and hailed as a masterpiece. But does this platformer from 2007 hold up in a post-Odyssey world?

5 Likes

Kind of in the vein of Red Dead Redemption, I think a game to go back to and look at might be DmC: Devil May Cry. Devil May Cry V isn’t far from coming out and taking a look at the last game from that series and it’s complicated legacy might be really interesting.

I would add a heavy second for Kentucky Route Zero. That game is amazing and right in Waypoint’s wheelhouse, and I think its long development process and its involvement in a lot of the standard practices of games today at early stages (e.g. crowdfunding, episodic distribution, etc.) make it super fascinating.

1 Like

I think a real deep dive in to IO Interactive’s old Freedom Fighters would be fun.

It’s a series I’ve been waiting 15 years to see a continuation of, and IO still retains rights to the IP.

When I was… 10 and playing it, it blew me away. I’d be interested to go back to it and see how it holds up mechanically and… politically, considering its Man in the High Castle but with Cold-War Soviet occupation instead. The soundtrack still DEFINITELY holds up. It’s one of Jesper Kyd’s better OSTs imo

2 Likes

I’d like to throw my hat in for Banner Saga. I’ve heard really good things about the story, it’s indie, and it’s strategy - all points WP wants to address :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Banner Saga is a great idea. It’s been on my “I should really play this” list for a good long time.

1 Like

I mentioned Banner Saga way back in this thread and still think it fits the criteria almost perfectly. 7-8 hours long, engaging tactical combat, diverging narrative paths, serious themes, good lore/mythology, gorgeous art. On every major platform including switch as well, It’s a hugely overlooked franchise.

2 Likes

I spent some time trying to think what tactics/strategy games might make a good Waypoint 101, given the constraints. I think everything I can come up with has been covered by Three Moves Ahead, or has been the focus of another waypoint feature, still, here goes.

• Banner Saga suggested above is a great idea. I just can’t play it. Everytime someone dies, I just can’t anymore for months. So although I’ve been playing on and off since release, I am still only 2/3 in.
  • Civilization Revolution Civ in three - four hours. Interesting for how it manages to controllerify and compress 4x gameplay into a tidy package. Probably the only way to waypoint 101 something like a 4x.
  • Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, tough, fair, respects players time, text is problematic (westernized lens into feudal japan). Just a very good game for games sake.
  • Tooth and Tail. Another very good game with weird text.
  • **Invisible, Inc. ** Comes up a lot on Waypoint, for good reason. Like all “permadeath” games, it’s hard to put an hour count to it though.

In the Adventure category:

• Brothers, a Tale of Two Sons. Sad, very good. Notable for the dual character control.

Co-op:

• Overcooked is amazingly fun. Possibly my favourite coop thing ever, simply due to how accessible and non-violent it is. Still, once you know what it is, there’s not much more to dig into.

Puzzle:

• Opus Magnum fails nearly all criteria (win/lin/mac only), mouse only. But! It’s the best possible example of the Zachtronics style of puzzle game. In that you are creating machines that solve problems, and there’s almost always some way to solve the problem better. Incredibly satisfying, and great for creating conversations when played with a spirit of friendly competition (for score).
4 Likes

For what it’s worth, as has been mentioned several times before, Kentucky Route Zero is very near to releasing its final act, so I think it would be perfect when that is released!

Agreed. Never Alone is excellent. Would love to hear the WP crew dig into it. It’s short (only like 3-4 hours), but there’s plenty to talk about including broader conversations about whose stories get told and how.

Also, Upper One Games is not a AAA developer, this platformer is not a shooter, and it is available on Mac, PC, PS4, PS3, XBOX, WiiU, and iPad…

Also it’s gorgeous.

3 Likes