Games Have Always Tried to Whitewash Nazis as Just 'German Soldiers'

There was something very familiar about EA’s botched roll-out of a premium Battlefield V character skin a few weeks ago, where the company slapped the name of a significant anti-Nazi resistance member onto a laughably overdone German super-soldier. Even as it apologized for using a completely inappropriate name for the character, EA attempted to clarify that he was definitely not a Nazi, but just a German soldier. It was further evidence, if any were needed, that EA and DICE are ill-equipped to deal with the historical context of their own game.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/j5waqd/games-have-always-tried-to-whitewash-nazis-as-just-german-soldiers
17 Likes

Really great article! It’s really interesting to hear about other gaming spaces that are having (or had) the exact same arguments that we’re having now.

Well interesting and depressing i guess

4 Likes

Articles like these are why I’m so glad Waypoint has Rob, who can talk intelligently about the longstanding debate in wargaming spaces about this issue as well as having the histoirical background to say honestly and accurately that the “clean wehrmacht” is a pervasive postwar fabrication.

35 Likes

oh by the way if you encounter the argument “the wehrmacht weren’t Nazis” in the wild usually the fastest way to make them go away is to point out that soldiers in the wehrmacht swore a personal oath to adolf hitler which, formal membership in a political party aside, is often kind of a clue that people knew who they were working for

9 Likes

This piece instantly reminded me of the oft forgotten title Battlefield Heroes that reduces the factions to “royal army” and “national army”

3 Likes

Pieces like this are really important because without people like Rob who are embedded in and invested in wargaming spaces, these excuses for evil are left to fester out of sight.

The wargaming and historical re-enactment communities are HUGE and in almost every account I’ve read by journalists covering their conventions have uncovered Some Stuff. Criticism from within these communities that understands where passion meets ideology is crucial to prevent them becoming petri dishes for fascism like the gaming community.

5 Likes

White-on-black SS counters in ASL were actually produced two separate times a decade before A Bridge Too Far: see Fuhrer’s Firemen and Fuhrer’s Firemen II by Heat of Battle.

Wow. Judging by this article, Rob might be able to help me piece together some of my family history.

bless Rob Zacny for doing the good work. this is the kind of shit I should be using my history degree for.

1 Like

Thanks for this great and important article. It is understandable that it is mostly focused on EA’s careless depictions due to the current developments on their end. I think it’s important to widen the aspects Rob is only brushing in the last paragraphs though. What is the fascination with war and playing war exactly and how would there ever be a game that does justice to the actual manifold stories/aspects/themes/feelings/whatever of something as inconceivable as World War II when its purpose is to entertain a player? Especially in games that are concerned with giving you a good feeling about the struggle and the hardships before you inevitably win?

Rami Ismail made a good statement on the current Designer Notes podcast about this. American developers (and by extension every Western developer that is greatly influenced by American media and the American myths about what war is, e.g. Swedes) make games about “Winning wars”, not about “war” which is left to, in his example, Polish developers for whom war (and especially World War II) has a completely different connotation of course, so they end up making something like “This War of Mine”. If your media is obsessed with success and power fantasies (and games due to their achievement nature are easily worse offenders than books and movies here) it does make sense that something like the Wehrmacht might be depicted in a very distorted fashion.

As a German I want to contribute some thoughts about this dangerous distortion that were not mentioned in the article.

Rob rightly identifies the US’s or NATO’s willingness to let bygones be bygones in favor of the looming Cold War. Paradoxically this was the case on both sides of the Berlin Wall and while the FRG deemed it sufficent to blame the SS and some individuals for the worst atrocities of the war, the GDR under Soviet guidance simply announced that fascism was over and everybody in East Germany now a proud member of the anti-fascist movement. Obviously both sides needed organizational staff and officers to rebuild their armies and were in the light of the new global animosities uninterested in really digging too deeply into the average soldier’s share. This is also a reason for the very frightening acceptance of Neo-Nazism in today’s East Germany.

The most important turning point in this cover-up operation was an exhibition that started in 1995 (see here: Wehrmacht Exhibition. I cannot think of any museum exhibition that sparked as much controversy and discussion as this one since it made a lot of heroic/tragic grandfather stories quite unpalatable.

In my observation as a Thirtysomething it is somewhat ironically American media that made it sneakily okay to depict the Wehrmacht as cool/tough/badass though. There are numerous American books by “proper” historians that deal endlessly with the high discipline, morale, skill and pure efficiency of the Wehrmacht in ways no German historian in their right mind would ever have dreamed of (or without being shunned by the community immediately). WWII is the US’s favorite war to talk about because the cause was good and pure but it also helps to construct a formidable foe who is not just a completely misguided fanatic but also a master of waging war in a neutral sense. It makes the victory that much sweeter and I think that especially games suffer tremendously from this attempt to balance factions and classes when it comes to deal with war… every army competes on a strict firepower level where all the horrible shades of grey simply have no place anymore.

It seems also that the US has way more successfully mastered the idea of decoupling their armed forces from politics or the current administration. While it would be quite unthinkable here that the Bundeswehr right now or the Wehrmacht back then are just some more or less independent force doing their duty somwhere, it is the essence of indiscriminately thanking people for their service, no matter what that service might have entailed, pretending that bravery and valor will always amount to something good and true.

I do not want this to come across as taking away from the German stake in all of this. It is just that depictions of the war have been clearly dominated by the US (and the USSR to a somewhat lesser extend) for the last decades and both of these sides had their reasons to mitigate the German regular armies’ contributions to the greatest crimes during the 1930s and 1940s. The whole mythology about Nazi Secret Weapons, the silent absorption of the scientists who created these weapons (see Operation Paperclip etc.), and the fetishization of great supervillains who are allowed to dress very fashionable and talk in a funny accent, but not allowed to come with all that extra baggage of complex politics clearly did not help in creating a more complex picture about the Wehrmacht and their complicity in Nazi atrocities.

33 Likes

Imagine spending the amount of time creating an account and writing this knowing it will be deleted in under an hour. Hope it was worth it dipshit.

4 Likes

Hey all,

The Waypoint forums thrive on discussion and often deal with complicated, weighty, and crucial issues. That said, while many of these issues are important and their resultant threads have insightful discussion, they are also prone to losing focus or becoming heated. We feel that this thread could stand to be temporarily paused while we discuss this next steps; consequently, we will be locking it temporarily. We appreciate everyone’s understanding.

The Waypoint Mod Team

1 Like