Games that "don't exist"

MDK as a game that doesn’t exist? Mario and Donkey Kong games most certainly do exist. :sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s possible - the game did track the overall success of the three factions and I wouldn’t be surprised if most players just jumped onto the winning team.

Does Mario vs Donkey Kong March of Mini’s exist though? I feel like no one remembers those games.

2 Likes

How about Julian Gollop’s multiplayer play-by-email simultaneous tactics game Laser Squad Nemesis? I played a ton of that. Exquisite faction design, with units that were easy to understand but hard to master. I remember the alien bug race had a queen unit that could eat corpses to lay eggs which would give you more units, if you could manage it.

Frozen Synapse is the obvious successor, but that game played very differently, not least because weapon hits in FS were deterministic rather than chance based, and units died to a single hit. I have Phantom Brigade in my Epic library, but I’m waiting until it gets a little closer to release before jumping in.

5 Likes

I started playing Phantom Brigade over the weekend and it’s extremely fun! It feels incredibly rewarding so far.

My vote for this is Secret Weapons over Normandy. It was a arcade flight game made by the X-Wing developer and published by Lucasarts. Michael Giacchino did the score too. It was a really fun game, but I’ve never seen anyone reference it since.

1 Like

5 Likes

Every game released before Gears of War/Halo 3 on the 360 is in the ether now. They never happened.

3 Likes

Here’s one I spontaniously remembered yesterday: DarkSpore, the isometric shooter spinoff to Spore.

Pretty sure it was also an always online game that got shut down and is now completely unavailable anywhere? Love when that happens.

6 Likes

Watching the nintendo direct reminded me that Ninjala was a thing that exists and was actually decently fun and charming.

Blast Corp on the N64. That game was awesome, and sure, many games since have had destructible environments, but I can’t think of a game since that ran with the idea the way Blast Corp did. Criminally forgotten game in my opinion.

1 Like

sees all this oil you’ve poured on the floor and notices a grenade just sitting in my hand

Timesplitters.

2 Likes

This feels like a game that would’ve been extremely up my alley in 2008 yet I’ve never heard of it.

4 Likes

I’ll take your Turning Point: Fall of Liberty and raise you this gem that I was very excited about in 2008 that then disappeared from this plane of reality:

images (2)

3 Likes

It’s funny to try and consider a game that “doesn’t exist” because, as more of a “core gamer” type of person, anything that I would consider to be kinda niche (thinking about Singularity) means that it’s more of a “cult classic” than complete nonentity.

1 Like

Amusingly both of these games were developed by Spark Unlimited, a developer who specializes in games that don’t exist, after these two they did Lost Planet 3 and Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. :smiley:

Turning Point and Legendary are both pretty bad in fundamental, it’s easy to walk through walls because the game is so glitchy kind of ways. Like genuinely surprisingly bad in that respect for the time vs. the amount of marketing $$$ that was spent (I was working at GameStop at the time and remember lots of posters, marketing swag, etc.).

2 Likes

Just remembered one from around that time that didn’t exist even when it was new, INFERNAL. You know your game doesn’t exist when it drops on PC in 2007 and then gets a (minimal release, zero marketing) 360 iteration in 2009.

Also before this the same dev made Odium/Gorky 17 and Teen Agent. :smiley:

Why do they have Rob McElhenney on the cover?

4 Likes

I remember them making that strange quasi-reboot-sequel Bionic Commando game on 360 and PS3.
It played pretty poorly, and had a bonkers storyline that never really came together. But jeez, that game captured me for some reason.
Maybe it’s the story of the studio that launched with big hopes of making games off popular franchises, and how they completely flopped.
Maybe it’s because the game had pretty good visuals for the time, and used colors in ways that most big games back then seemed to forget existed at all.

Maybe I just needed to know how that guys wife got turned in to his arm. (No satisfactory explanation is ever given)

I ended up buying it for $20 and don’t really regret it. It’s a bizarre piece of my collection.

Nowadays people only seem to remember it for that remake of the first game they made to help promote it.

1 Like

I’ve just looked this one up and it’s about some guy shooting demons in a war between heaven and hell. This is exactly the kind of game Mac would pitch.

1 Like

there are many games I eagerly read about in magazines (some featured on front covers) but later stopped hearing/thinking about and never got to playing, and I think they kinda sorta fit in the “don’t exist” category. examples include Shinobi, Onimusha, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory and X2: Wolverine’s Revenge (featuring Mark Hamill as Logan and Patrick Stewart as Xavier!) on the PS2, and on the PS3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Resistance, The Darkness, Army of Two, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (by Kojima Productions) and Prototype (or rather, [PROTOTYPE]).

(edit: ninja gaiden definitely belongs in this list but I completely deleted from my brain that I mentioned it myself in this thread before)

looking these games up, I also remembered two games I did play and really liked but never remembered until now: Hulk for the PS2 (featuring cel-shaded Eric Bana) and MotorStorm: Pacific Rift on the PS3.

1 Like