Games Where Your Opinion Changed Radically Over Time

And then you get chased by the little dude piloting the giant statue of himself and his bug bro is hanging out in the shoulder I think and they you obviously mash the pad to run away from it as it charges at you. I feel Resident Evil IV is perfect up until you start getting into the castle. The rural Spanish town feels remote and isolated, the angry mobs are scary and different to what has been in Resi games before. It all gets weirder and scarier at night.

Then you hit the castle and it just goes for the camp hammer esque horror, your fighting evil monks, and the enemy type just become formulaic and derivative. These guys have shields! These have head armour! Each room just becomes another encounter full of minions and it all feels more like a video game, where you’re managing your enemies as they shamble towards you. Then you move into the endgame and the attack helicopter comes in, I think by that stage I started to see how the series would pan out. Again, I think Resi 5 starts off strong in the shanty towns but it all just gets progressively worse the minute you lose that setting as they change the setting.

There is a lot of game in Resident Evil IV and there are loads of great moments, I remember specificially being terrified of the boss fight in the basement with one of the bug bros. Encountering the regenerator dudes was also scary and quite late on in the game. But yeah, outside of the village and castle, there was the archeological bit with mine cart racing, there was the whole plot involving that Krauser guy. So. Much. Game.

And yet still not as much as Resident Evil 6.

I can understand completely people not enjoying the tonal and mechanical shifts from traditional RE to RE4 and on. That said, I do feel it’s very in-series to go from subdued plausibility to utterly absurd as the game progresses. The original RE starts you off in a creepy mansion, then eventually has you dealing with subterranean mutant shark tanks you access by assembling broken up home décor.

I guess the classic format for RE games have gone from creepy enclosed setting - mansion/police station/Baker House, an attached feature of that setting guardhouse/sewers/bug house through to finishing up in a subterrenean laboratory before setting the detonation sequence but not before blowing up the monster with a rocket launcher.

I still like RE4 fine, but there were so many ideas in that game it was a wonder they were able to make 2 more sequels in the same format. Though RE6 is basically Capcom throwing the entire timeline into a game, zombies, crimson heads, mutants militia and even the nemesis. I think at one point I fought a biohazard T-Rex who then turned into a spider?

This is hardly surprising, but currently going through this with RDR2. Despite my apprehension and concerns about the labor issues and everything, the first 10-15 hours felt so good to me. I was a kid who played GTA 3 by driving around and following traffic signs. I loved the pace of the world, I loved trekking Arthur out to go hunting, bringing a deer back to camp, chatting people. And then I realized the game simply isn’t design to be played like that - the narrative rushes past you, and outpaces the world it’s trying to build. That disruption absolutely could have been accomplished in an artistic way, but instead it just comes off as a lack of focus. Patrick’s recent article could not have hit the nail on the head better.

My issues with the game are absolutely not that it’s “not fun”, or that it takes too much patience (it doesn’t). My favorite moments in gaming are slow and not-fun. My issues are that the game doesn’t want you to treat it with patience. The game itself loses interest in convincing you of your role in the world. Again, on a meta level, this could have been genius. And that’s maybe my biggest frustration: the game has so many chances to be daring with its story, and to invite the player to reflect on her own role in the game world. It doesn’t. I’m about to hit the big twist in the story, which I think I’ll quite like, but I’m not sure it can save it for me.

Metroid Other M actually broke me. I started out by giving that game the benefit of the doubt. I even really enjoyed the combat, didn’t mind the genera linearity, and yeah, the story was awful. I just had no idea how awful. I was actually having a lot of fun with the 2.5D combat and thought maybe everybody was being too dramatic about it. I remember a (obviously male) critic saying the game “Raped Samus”, which is going way too far and was an awful comparison to make. Like come on, it can’t be that bad?

No, this game really does have a truly weird and hateful idea of women. Like ten-fifteen hours of the worst sexist codependent vaguely-incestuous relationship in the history of video games later, I despised that game and every second of it.

Plus the final boss fight requires you to use a move the game never taught you about. Like, all of a sudden Super Bombs are unlocked without warning and the game never tells you. So screw that.

Years later I think Other M might be the single worst game I played this entire decade.

GTA IV was the first game I played after a long break from gaming. I loved it at the time, and 100% bought into Rockstar’s shift towards (relative) maturity and realism. Then I became increasingly aware of its status as the black sheep of the series, started questioning myself, and thought, “huh, I guess there was more to do in the old games.” For a long time after that I’d only half-heartedly defend it, assuming I’d missed the mark with it. Fast forward to now, and I’ve mostly come back around to it, even if I’d hardly point to it as a high water mark of gaming. Sure, it has a ton of flaws and I’m sure if I went back to it I’d be horrified at some of the content, but it at least tries in a lot of areas where Rockstar have pretty much given up at this point. It’s easily the most human GTA game, and it marked a moment where Rockstar almost pivoted to making more thoughtful games, before reverting to whatever you want to call their more recent games.

The bits of Persona 5 where your shithead friends run around trying to force a nuerodivergent person (this is never explicitly stated, but Sakura can be read this way for sure) into harmful and difficult situations in order to “fix” her when they’ve literally known her for a matter of hours and haven’t even begun to understand her situation left me asking myself “why the fuck didn’t I see this shit sooner?” Completely killed the game for me.

Persona 3 was, and I would say in some respects still is, very important to me even if in retrospect I see all the flaws. 4 and especially 5 I played at a stage in my life where tolerating Persona Team’s bullshit was something I just couldn’t do anymore.

See, I kind of feel the exact opposite way. GTAIV was a game that I started out super positive on, but even as the game progressed I soured on more and more and now I kind of can’t stand it at all.

I know other people have said it before, but it really does feel like there were two paths in the forest, and Saints Row took one path and GTA took the other. Saints Row leaned heavy into the irreverent and absurd, whereas GTA decided to go for some sort of gravitas.

I have no issue with games trying to tackle a more serious narrative, and to a large degree I think Rockstar could be successful if that’s what they truly set their mind to doing. Instead, they choose to straddle the line and end up with a compelling story that seems dropped haphazardly into a gameplay system that undermines it at every opportunity. Nico, John, Arthur, these are men torturing themselves in service of something that they’ve already largely taken care of. Oh, woe is me and this awful life of crime that I wish I could leave behind if only I didn’t have millions of dollar and a penthouse apartment… Golly gee I sure do wish for the simple life out on the range with my wife and child if, hopefully I can appease these lawmen blackmailing me right after I shoot up this entire saloon because I was caught cheating at poker… John’s end would seem a hell of a lot more tragic if maybe he didn’t have a huge mountain of wealth with which he could pick up his family and relocate to anywhere he damn well pleased instead of just staying where he was and hoping to all hell the incredibly corrupt murder cops didn’t decide he was too dangerous to live.

There are ways to make those plots and those characters work, but it would require Rockstar to actually revamp their mission design and general game structure, which they apparently loath to do. The freedom they give the player and the incredibly narrow path they put the character on are directly at odds at all times. There are ways to write and design these games where that conflict doesn’t exist, but they just stubbornly refuse to do so and it’s become more severe over time. It confuses me to no end that RDR2 is a game that’s so stubborn about its design that you can completely fail a mission for accidentally hitting someone with your horse or moving a few feet off of the path, meanwhile they just shrug when the man who is being “redeemed” decides to shoot up an entire town in cold blood because why not?

Wow, I’m like the exact opposite. I love Trails in the Sky and have played through it 4 times, but I really disliked Cold Steel and gave up after about 40 hours.

I rented Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox like one or two times I believe. Both times I hated the game, I couldn’t believe anyone played it. Just couldn’t get over how hard it was and the camera felt super clunky. Some years pass Ninja Gaiden 2 is coming out soon, I mention playing the first one at the lunch table. Someone I knew was like “nah its great”. He had previously recommended COD4, I didn’t keep up with games new at all around this time, and I super fell in love with it. So I was like alright I will try again, he gave me some tips. I pushed through fell super in love with it, easily beaten over 20 times. Also turned us into better friends, started hanging out more and stuff.

This sparked a love of difficulty for me, I hardly engaged with “hard” modes at the time. So I still try to go back to games if my take on the game was a knee jerk reaction or I dipped quickly on it. Def opened my eyes to listening to others for opinions pretty sure shortly after I started to follow Giant bomb etc.

I gave up because they were going all-in on the stepbrother and stepsister getting into a romantic relationship, the abusive jerk who punches 10 year olds when they are crying about their grandfather getting kidnapped but everyone loves him because he’s good at hitting things, the older woman (26 years is old in anime) who is an alcoholic and whips everything, etc etc etc. It’s a game of nothing but awful stereotypes. I was taking screenshots and writing captions yelling at the stupid dialogue going on at the moment. It was becoming actively unhealthy for my emotional state, that’s how much I hated it.

I tend to like stories about politics and business and how they manipulate or control societies and how to combat that. Like I found FFVII’s story with Shinra really engaging, while the part about ancient materia and Aeris less so. So for Trails in the Sky I liked the military coup storyline, but with Cold Steel it felt like it was trying to be a high school dating sim. I also preferred the grid based combat of Sky over the open style of Cold Steel.

I do want to give Cold Steel another shot, but I think maybe I’ll play Sky 2 and 3 before trying again. Playing out of order was might have been a mistake.

Well like I said, Cold Steel eventually becomes about class warfare and the start to Fantasy WWI, just viewed from the perspective of a group of military academy students. There’s plenty of political stuff going on.

And later on, giant mechs.

The only thing I really know about the epilogue is that it gives you “cleaned up Mormon missionary” kanji which is some BULLLLLLLLLLLSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

See, I found that probably it was Rogue Legacy, that taught me the opposite.
I thought I was going to like it (I’d liked Super Meat Boy, which is a hard platformer; I liked the original N [and like N++], I liked Spelunky which is even a roguelike platformer…)… but after hours of grinding through increasingly unsatisfyingly difficult platforming, I realised that I actually really really hate unreasonably hard games; and I’m nowhere near good enough to be able to enjoy the interminable process of actually getting good enough at them to be somewhere I can enjoy them.

Have you considered that Rouge Legacy is just a bad game? I found it had bad sound, bad art and had the same enemy patterns that have been used for decades. It controlled fine and the upgrade loop kept me playing but I think it’s a bad game. All those other games you mentioned are good games, so if you enjoyed them then maybe you don’t dislike hard games, you just dislike bad games.

Eh, I can’t really agree, and I normally despise rogue-likes. Rouge Legacy was one of the few that hooked me once I figured out the real aim of the game was finding stuff and gathering a familiarity with its tricks through each new character generation. I had a lot of fun just seeing what the game would throw at me next and trying to plan around it. It was also really early for that particular wave, so what jank it has is more forgivable to me that most others that took inspiration from it.

Ugh I was honestly so frustrated after Naoto’s story that I put it away without a second thought, and that’s why I messed up her gender. Bad mistake on my part.

That being said, I do own P3P on my Vita. I wasn’t going to touch it after my negative experience with P4G, but would you recommend that I give it a shot?

I would recommend P3P, but if you thought the combat in P4G was antiquated compared to P5 and the dungeons were a slog then maybe just set it on the easiest setting. When I played through P4G I had already played through the PS2 version so I set it to the easiest setting and ran past all the enemies. I hit level 99 by the start of October from only fighting the high exp enemies, high money enemies and quest enemies, and the dungeons took 30 minutes instead of 2 hours.

To be fair, I didn’t care for Rogue Legacy either. Before playing DS2, I’d played Super Meat Boy back when it came out, but only maybe the first world before falling off, and largely because of its indie darling status.

I guess the way I think about it is that before committing to DS2, I wouldn’t have even tried something like Spelunky and some of the others I mentioned. I… still can’t get into Spelunky, but I no longer see it as “not for me” and I keep wanting to circle back to it. The shift was to realize that I even had a taste for challenges like this at all.

Either way, I think we all get pickier as we get older, more busy, more certain of our preferences, etc. If you feel like you’ve lost interest in difficult or time-consuming games, I 100% get that as well.