GeForce Now Was a Great Alternative to a Gaming PC, Publishers Broke It

On my last business trip of 2020, when those were still a thing, I'd stayed in a hotel with profoundly mediocre Wi-Fi and, desperate to finish my game of Total War: Three Kingdoms, I'd opened up GeForce Now and launched Steam. On a virtual machine somewhere in the ether, I was able to access my complete Steam library of 1,000 games or so (many, or even most of them, regrettable impulse purchases spanning a decade) and install Three Kingdoms. Then I played the last few hours of my campaign on my laptop and while the gorgeous map of China occasionally dissolved into pixelated confetti as the connection struggled. It was nevertheless a miraculous experience.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jgqbpk/geforce-now-was-a-great-alternative-to-a-gaming-pc-publishers-broke-it
1 Like

“GeForce Now isn’t as good as GeForce Then” is a really funny subtitle.

2 Likes

Not a fan of the r-slur being used in the last paragraph. I know it has more than one definition but he used “slowed” immediately before it so I really don’t understand why it has to be there at all.

2 Likes

To slightly defend the article “slowed” and “r-word” mean subtly different things in this context [which isn’t one in which the latter is used as a slur - in British English, at least the version I speak, the intonation of the slur and non-slur forms is different, as one is a noun and the other a verb] - the first implies more of a “reduction of rate”, whilst the latter implies more of a “extra pause before it happens”.

1 Like

The artificial scarcity caused by devices’ manufacturers, scalpers and bitcoin weirdos is something so infuriating that Geforce Now seems almost a breath of fresh air.
But no, oligopolist had to reach even this cozy corner of the gaming world because apparently their best interest is not to sell to the widest audience possible but to raise the walled garden to impossible heights.
Even GoG made a couple of roaring announcements about Geforce Now some times ago but right now the only compatible game in their library is Cyberpunk 2077 (not even the Witcher 3… And this says a lot).
Cloud gaming is here to stay, but probably only after the usual suspects have carved out their unearned share.

3 Likes

I think this space is really interesting. As someone who didn’t have money to upgrade their PC the last few years (still running an old i5 and a 970) and then has been joining everyone else in being unable to snag one of the new 3000 cards the streaming stuff has actually been kinda cool?

I tried out GeForce Now earlier this year to see if it would work for Cyberpunk back when I thought I would care about that game, and it seemed solid, just being at home and it not having IOS support at the time meant I could play some games on my TV? Didn’t really have a use case. Patrick’s 13 Sentinels talk got me to pick up one of those backbone controllers and it’s super rad actually. I’ve used it to stream my Xbox, PS5, and Steam games, as well as trying out GeForce Now again and it’s pretty great being able to play those games on my phone while snuggling with my partner in bed at night instead of having to leave her and sit in the living room by myself.

The tech actually seems to work pretty well, and honestly Rob mentioned this Shadow service in this piece and because I’m in a fun experimenting mood I decided to give that a shot. If some of this stuff works out I may not need to worry about building my new PC quite yet after all.