Give Me A Hot Take About Video Games

I feel like KOTOR2 is the version of Star Wars that every fan, who hated TLJ because of vague SJW/nonsensical plothole reasons, wanted. Ever since the first trailer for TLJ dropped everyone who ever played KOTOR2 was going nuts over their understanding that they were going to be getting embittered grey jedi Luke.

Once again TLJ best Star Wars movie ever, we don’t deserve it.

So many are steered by their expectations of what the movie should have been without listening to what the film is actually trying to say. It’s a problem that relates to a lot of movies, especially sequels and reboots to/of beloved franchises but it burns the hottest in Star Wars. I just hope they stick with it rather that trying to ‘appease’ the fans.

Case in point:

3 Likes

Having the PC get sexually harassed by the first companion is a KOTOR tradition.

wow i want to play kotor1 even less than i already did now, thanks for the warning

3 Likes

Atton is supposed to be a “”'subversion""" of the Carth Onasi, Han Solo type but the only real difference is that he identifies as an incel rather than a pick up artist.

7 Likes

Isn’t what makes both works so attractive to audiences is that they both actively question and toy with established Star Wars mythology, philosophy, and ethics? I don’t think i’ve seen a single TLJ angry fanboy who’s actually played KOTOR 2.

2 Likes

New hot take: The “wait for the review” argument against pre orders both overvalues consensus and undervalues criticism.

Also, I think someone else said this above, but jank is good!

5 Likes

Fallouts 4 and 76 point to Bethesda almost agreeing with you. Even though 4 had a much more in your face story (was going to say stronger but there’s some takes to hot for anyone lol), if you only wanted to just build up some towns and do radiant quests the whole time you wouldn’t bump into too much explicitly authored content

If I were in charge of making a Fallout 5, at Bethesda, I’d probably make it 100% sandbox, focus on the town building aspect, and put all of the writing resources into companions and incidental/environmental storytelling.

edit: I guess my hot take is that Bethesda is really quite good at writing, but absolutely trash at allocating their writing skill.

2 Likes

Sure, but there’s jank and then there’s Fallout 76/Aliens Colonial Marines jank. Or, of course, there’s Skyrim PS3/Arkham Knight PC jank, where buying a game on the wrong platform takes it from solid to downright unplayable and potentially dangerous for your hardware.

My hotter take is that if you have any sort of rental resource and can borrow the game from Redbox or your local library, do that and wait the full month before playing. I feel like I got hosed for buying Assassin’s Creed Origins because the gameplay just feels truly awful to me, and reviews had been up for months. (I borrowed Odyssey from the library this week and that feels like things are back on track, though.)

1 Like

RPGs where doing the side content leaves you wildly overleveled are the worst.

Nothing more deflating than effortlessly and anticlimactically trouncing the villain because you spent 8 hours finding every variety of rare bean for the bean collector NPC.

1 Like

Final Fantasy games are vanilla JRPGs with poorly-drawn characters and incomprehensible word-salad plots.

To be clear, I still don’t think pre-ordering is a good idea. It only benefits publishers. Also, I think games media do have a responsibility to tell people if a game isn’t functional (e.g. Skyrim PS3 and Arkham Knight PC). I just get frustrated when release coverage of a game is dominated by the same voices saying the same things they always say. I don’t think this is a conscious decision, but the “wait for the reviews” line mostly functions as a way to quash dissenting opinion, especially with games that are critically panned.

Your take on rentals is very good. I wish there were better and easier ways to rent. I think the Games Pass model could be a good replacement if it had more new games on release. I hope other platforms implement similar systems soon!

Also, imho, the jank in Fallout 76 was literally the game’s only redeeming value.

1 Like

I liked Undertale when it came out, but the fandom really has made me not want to return to it. I feel that just as you can’t separate the artist from the work,you can’t separate the work from the fandom.

9 Likes

As a fan of Sonic I have to agree.

In the same way that I don’t necessarily sit square with the first statement, I think I wholly disagree with the latter.

This is because I, in general, think that there’s no such thing as a good big fandom.

Once a fandom gets past a certain size, it is wholly out of the hands of the original creator and there’s very little that can be done to put any kind of control on them. In many ways, works don’t get the fandoms they deserve – great works get no attention, awful works get adoring fanbases (Detroit: Become Human, anyone?), and good games receive obnoxious fanbases.

Indeed, the shape and contour of a fandom often depends more on the structure of discourse than anything else; the difference between fandoms that one finds on Twitter, Tumblr, and Reddit (or anywhere else) are pretty stark because each of those breeds a different kind of fan, who might cross-pollinate elsewhere but often with less success.

I think there’s a way in which we can discoursively assume “oh, this fandom is bad” without necessarily thinking through if it may be for no fault of the work, but simply the time, place, and fortune of its success.

It might be easy to lump a work in with its fandom, but I’d say it’s almost never a good call. If we judged every work by its worst fans, we’d be in a bad spot.

13 Likes

While fandoms are not necessarily the responsibility of the work or its creator, I can definitely see one’s opinion of a work being colored by a fandom. Like, I don’t have any interest in watching Rick & Morty simply because everything I’ve seen about the fandom has been awful. Is that fair to the show? Probably not, but I don’t think my reason for dismissal is invalid.

2 Likes

I disagree with you there if what you mean by dismissal is a dismissal of the work itself. A fandom can definitely put you off of a work to the point where you don’t want to interact with it. You aren’t obligated to watch, read, or play anything. But I don’t think that means you should outright dismiss the original work, especially if it isn’t indicative of the fandom that grew up around it.

These days with niche obsessive internet culture it seems like toxic fandoms are springing up around totally benign works like Undertale, one of the most positive games around (unless I missed some questionable secret area or hateful tirade by Toby Fox). It seems more and more important to not let the internet ruin good things for you. Sometimes you just need to isolate yourself from the discussion and enjoy it on your own.

2 Likes

Hot take: the culture around hot takes is bad and we should all read less of other people’s takes.

11 Likes

Hate to be the truth-in-the-middle jerk, but while it’s best to try and look past a lot of fandom bullshit (especially under late capitalism where everything, even explicitly leftist stuff, is appropriated and expected to grow absolute in-group/out-group dynamics), there is value in observing ideological thrulines in the audience/praise that any piece of art garners, and why a category or single piece might attract a certain audience consistently. Dismissing looking at fandoms because everything has a bad fandom of some sort can be as unhealthy/unrealistic of an approach as cancelling anything that has a bad fandom can be. It’s like how everything’s problematic to some degree; there’s rarely an unambiguous judgement to cast on it, but it’s always an aspect to take into consideration.

I mean, nowadays fans literally fund certain works, focus on niche markets based on common fan demands is becoming more en vogue, there is a feedback loop of culture here and it’s arguably growing. It’s not always bad, but it is influential (and uh, it is usually bad. Deltarune is actually good though so Undertale’s okay IMO)

I ain’t here to dictate why someone shouldn’t be uninterested in a game, tho, even if I still dig it. You can see gross enough things happen in a fandom that the mental association can just yuck any potential yum, regardless of the thing in a vacuum. It happens.

4 Likes

We 100% can separate a work from its creator’s intent, because knowing a creator’s intent always requires further research than just experiencing the work. The question should instead be whether or not we should, and I think that kind of formalism can sometimes (even often) be useful in considering how people who aren’t as familiar with an author or a canon might experience a work. Obviously there are limits, but there are also limits to how useful marinating a work in its authorial or historical context will be. Authors don’t always write what they intend to write.

1 Like

master chief is solid snake’s dad

9 Likes