Give Me A Hot Take About Video Games

What he do?

I’ve found that the youtubers who are specifically focused on their specific games are alright. I do enjoy my Gopher and all his modding vids, Juicehead has a lot of vids I like, and I do LOVE Kilian Experience and all his grand strat games.

Nothing really, he just thinks Bioshock Infinite is good and generally has a bit of a blindspot when it comes to the actual character of American imperialism versus his romanticised, Greatest Generation perception of the American character.

Most gaming youtubers that I’ve “discovered” in the last year have turned out to still be youtubers. The platform encourages the same enervating drive to be seen, and be given attention, over communicating anything. I see the donoteat guy is on twitter now doing the quote-tweeting thing.

2 Likes

Maybe you shouldn’t be implying content creators of all stripes are diseased for you know, making stuff? Should Youtube itself be thrown out? Yeah probably. Is gaming Youtube bad for the most part? Sure, but so is most of everything haha. Would you also paint the the Waypoint crew as part of that “Not good” brush? They also produce content, and are on twitter, and are in the grand scheme of things, acquiring fame. Not saying the waypointers are perfect, cause they aren’t! They have blind spots, and things they could do better, and so could people like NCG, any content creator, or hell, any person. I mean, not to get too “you criticize society yet live in it!” on you, but we all are on these forums with a like system too you know.

Not saying you have a bad opinion or are not good (Though again, maybe cool it on the disease thing) , but you know, be careful when painting with a broad brush.

2 Likes

I’ve removed that bit because I agree that’s it’s unkind. The rest I stand by. My favourite youtubers would be better essayists, and I’m just waiting for all of them to show their whole ass in one way or another.

I’m largely annoyed when video essays are a normal essay, but “author decrees their voice/humor/editing worthy of taking up 3 to 4 times more of my time than if they just gave me a goddamn transcript”. Game essays are usually the ones that have this problem most noticeably, with some of the longest videos I’ve seen taking up entire chunks of a day.

Just. If you’re going to reach dissertation levels of granularity, then it’s probably best for the subject to not be “here’s every reason, in order, of why I don’t like a video game”. Learn how to revise a script. Please. I’m begging you.

2 Likes

Its those damn moving pictures that are corrupting our beloved content creators. If only leftists stuck to the printing press.

1 Like

It’s dark magic I tell you. Nothing good will come of it.

1 Like

I remembered he uncritically used the term “savage land” when referring to precolonial Boston during his Far Harbor review. He got a bit better later on, but that wasn’t that long ago and he still slips back into ignoring or justifying stuff he shouldn’t. I.e, the intense racism and gross use of sex workers in Max Payne 3.

I’m guessing this is why his comments are always filled to bursting with unmoderated chuds screeching about essjaydoubleyous, he’s got just enough white dude-isms and old game critic-isms for them to keep watching despite falling somewhere on the left and consistently pissing them off. Kinda like Jeff Gerstmann without the weird conspiracy theories about secretly hating all the people he employs and calls friends for some reason.

1 Like

I finished that game on PC and didn’t have that happen. I just had the nearly gamebreaking bugs where the lights you have to shoot with the cannon don’t spawn and had to look at a youtube video to see where to aim. And then had to change my resolution to 800x600 so that my movement speed would be fast enough to escape a falling boulder.

1 Like

Galaxy Brain: All post-apocalyptic fiction is inherently posadist

5 Likes

Yeah, I dunno if I agree that post-apocalypse is all pessimism and nihilism. The whole idea of a ‘post’ apocalyptic life is that life continues. In my GALAXY brain, it implies hope. Humans are not destined to complete extinction, just a change in environment. We’re in for another dark age, but that dark age will pass. Some form of human society, whether it’s violent, cooperative, or something completely different lives on. That is WAY more positive in the way that authors writing during the time the Cuban Missile Crisis. You can see in the art of that time that many people thought the earth was doomed, that humanity is doomed, that NOTHING would be left.

You look at Cold War fiction like ‘On the Beach,’ in which humanity just gives up and allows the radiation to claim the last of humanity. Or you look at something like Threads, which the last shot is of the last survivors of a dying Britain about to succumb to radiation death.

Hell, films like Failsafe are a TON more darker than the darkest post- apocalypse fiction. In that film, the Americans accidentally send a bomber to bomb Moscow and tell him to not respond to anyone trying to stop him. Yes, it’s basically Dr. Strangelove but a lot more sinister. To prevent total war, the Americans decide to nuke their own city as an apology for nuking Moscow. The last scene is New Yorkers going about their day, children playing, people shopping, men laughing at the bar, unaware that they’re all about to be wiped out. It’s a creepy idea that our country is willing to destroy its own people to keep this rickety stack of cards we call America together.

Fiction like Fallout, Terminator, Mad Max, I think are MUCH more positive than the absolution of a doomed earth our Cold War authors thought of. There’s something AFTER the bombs. Especially Fallout… Out of total annihilation, we see new societies emerge, we see The NCR, we see the Minutemen, or the numerous tribes that appear, we see new evolutions of humans that are diverse and interesting. Of course there’s a continuation of the theme that ‘war never changes,’ but it implies humanity lives on to continue those themes. That’s a TON more positive of a take than humanity slowly being poisoned on a beach.

I always find it interesting that post-apocalypse fiction always has the take that the death of the United States is the death of the world. No, it’s just a change. Counties live to a certain point, then they become something else. American fiction of course has this creepy attachment to holding onto the American way of life to the end. You see this with Division 2. I do wanna see more fiction that embraces the idea that perhaps America collapsing could be a good thing… That perhaps a collapse is what we need, so rebirth and something new and progressive can rise. I know that implies a lot of suffering, like a lot of cold war/post-apocalypse fiction already has, but I think you can create cool, neat works like Buried Without Ceremony or other works that are positive about an inclusive, cooperative culture rising out of the ashes of the old.

6 Likes

Without getting too deep into it, I’ve read some pretty good takes that most post-apocalypse fiction is fundamentally optimistic, in that just by saying there’s a post to the apocalypse it assumes that not only will humanity survive the worth things we can imagine, that we will at some point thrive again in a way that is recognizably human.

OTOH, I’m opposed to the idea, sometimes expressed either implicitly or explicitly, in these works is that “the only way to build something better is to start over”, and with the frequent way they engage with the paramilitary survivalist myth as a sort of post-civilization renaissance ubermench.

But I still think they express a fundamental optimism, if darkly.

3 Likes

Oh, I totally agree that Post-Apocalypse fiction is an acknowledgement that we’ll slip into our most regressive influences. The genre is not without it’s pessimism, but I believe inherently that the idea that there’s something AFTER the end is a positive ideal.

But I don’t think it has to be human. Look at Fallout for example. The Super Mutants and the Ghouls are now the dominant species that rule the land. We may have human outposts and governments still, but they now live in a world that is surrounded by radiation, and the human isn’t equipped to deal with these new environments like the Super Mutants and the Ghouls are. A lot of people cite George A Romero’s Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead with a theme of, “Maybe we should just give it to them.” Them being the zombies, and it being a new earth.

And like I stated, I don’t think the ‘starting over’ part HAS to be what we’re used to. There is new fiction that is embracing the idea that starting over can be a progressive response to the stagnation of the previous ruling class.

4 Likes

You end up in a weird territory if you’re talking about pre-Bethesda or Post-Bethesda Fallout. In the original games, humans survive and eventually make a new society that’s generally pretty functional. Super Mutants are a threat and Ghouls aren’t understood at all in Fallout 1, but by Fallout 2 southern california is being run by a (flawed!) representative democracy and humans, super mutants, and ghouls are living in settlements together. Part of the reason the OG fallout series keeps changing setting (so-cal to nor-cal/oregon to the Mojave) is because to tell the kind of Western story they wanted they had to stay out of the NCR.

Post-Bethesda fallout of course has absolutely no interest in making the setting make any kind of sense and is way too obsessed with showing you “cool old ruins” to ever actually say anything about societies or people.

It has always struck me as a little too perfect that the first place you come across in Fallout 1 is a perfectly functional small farming community, using sensible adobe buildings and generally quite a decent little town, whereas in Fallout 4 the first place you get to is the ruins of your pre-war suburb that nobody’s touched in 200 years, because of course no-one can have any agency except the Player. Fallout 4 is a game that’s only vaguely playable because of building mechanics and yet no-one has ever built anything, only squatted in the ruins until the player comes along.

4 Likes

This may be a simple take, but I think the high volume of nihilism and darkness in post-apocalyptic is due to a lack of imagination in its creators, not the genre itself.

I think I can reasonably call 17776 post-apocalyptic (and by nature it interacts with “America” in some odd ways), but it’s also the most optimistic and utopian piece of media I’ve ever read. There’s no reason we can’t have more fiction like this, and that’s more on the formulaic nature of what post-apocalyptic fiction has become.

4 Likes

Post-Bethesda fallout of course has absolutely no interest in making the setting make any kind of sense and is way too obsessed with showing you “cool old ruins” to ever actually say anything about societies or people.

I don’t think that’s fair when you consider that the whole plot of Fallout 4 is about the relationship between the Synths, the people who created them, the people who think they should be purged, the people who want to support them, and the people who are afraid of them. Sure, there are problems within that storyline, but the ‘correct’ path is to side with the synths and reject both The Institution and The Brotherhood. That’s siding with evolution, rejection of the past’s xenophobia.

And we do see societies within the Bethesda timeline. We see the relationship between Tenpenny Tower and The Ghouls, or the relationship between people and the bomb which has caused their current predicament in Megaton, the cult that worships that bomb, or the relationship between this sect of The Brotherhood that has REJECTED the ways of the original Brotherhood, believing that they need to be more of a hand in the wasteland than the Brotherhood that wishes to stay isolationist. And we see the relationship of that sect with The Outcasts. There’s a lot going on with the return of slavery to the wasteland, and how the player interacts with that in DC, and what path would lead to the most optimal amount of freedom of slaves without causing the most death.

A lot of people give Bethesda shit for the politics in their games because they aren’t looking for them even though they are RIGHT THERE, in my opinion.

Hey folks,

Following a discussion between the moderator staff we have decided to close this topic. It is not a decision we made lightly and we hope to outline our reasoning in this post so that you can better understand what prompted this move.

First and foremost, this is not a condemnation of the whole content in this thread. There have been a number of great, insightful discussions born out conversations in this topic that we believe would be deserving of their own thread. That is something we stand by and would encourage anyone who is interested in continuing a particular discussion to break it out into a separate topic. Even if it doesn’t gain a great deal of traction we think it is better served outside of a thread where it would otherwise be buried by unrelated posts.

Secondly, we have noted that the thread has veered off-topic a number of times to the point of a moderator having to step in. We understand that the nature of the thread and its placement in our Jokes N’ Dokes category can invite this kind of behaviour. However, in a thread meant to facilitate ‘hot takes’ discourse this can both serve to bury any of the decent discussion and lead to discussion of matters not in line with the spirit of the thread.

Though that brings us to our final point, which is that we simply don’t believe the topic befits the kind of environment we’re trying to create on this forum. We want to harbour a space that discourages the kind of ‘hot take’ discourse you might see elsewhere because it lets loose opinions that are often not well-intentioned or fully formed, and in the cases that they are we believe they are as deserving as any other post in our discussion threads. At the conception of the thread we decided to move it into our Jokes N’ Dokes category where it could exist as a light-hearted goof for a spell until people moved on. Not a space for people to return to as a way of stating (what are believed to be) controversial opinions without the need to incorporate them into a wider discussion.

In light of our aforementioned issues and our growing discomfort with this thread’s place on the forum, we will subsequently be closing this topic.

Waypoint Mods

13 Likes
closed #846