Google Officially Announces the Demise of Stadia, Surprising Nobody

Google's cloud gaming service Stadia began to release its final death rattles on Thursday as the company announced that it will end support for the platform in January of 2023, including a full refund of all Stadia hardware, games, and DLC purchased through the Stadia and Google stores.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n7z4qd/google-officially-announces-the-demise-of-stadia-surprising-nobody
2 Likes

This could just be me, but in my experience with all the streaming services, Stadia was easily the most technically robust. It had far fewer drops, hitches, and low-resolution blur than any other service. Here’s hoping Google licenses out their tech to competing platforms, because something like PS Plus or xCloud with Stadia’s level of streaming quality would be incredible.

Google also has easily the most edge nodes of anybody (i.e. the most data centers close to you, the consumer), so they’re quite accustomed to feeding you data.

I think I used it all of twice but I’m sad they couldn’t salvage something from it. The tech seems like it was there; it just seems like they couldn’t find a sensible business model for it.

1 Like

Another failed console for Phil Harrison. If they had just made it a subscription service it probably would have done fine, especially when the new consoles launched and were impossible to find.

A subscription service or some kind of worthwhile exclusives. If Google had gone full Microsoft (I have a hypothesis that Google was going to buy Bethesda but they got outbid by Microsoft) and started essentially buying themselves a first-party development department, I certainly would have been happy to support Stadia. But they just had old games and ports of stuff you were probably playing elsewhere (weirdly enough, I heard the best version of Cyberpunk at launch was the Stadia version)

What I’m still curious about is who Google though Stadia’s core audience would be. Since they kept talking about performance and the catalog was mostly new AAA games sold at full price. But the people who care about those thing and are willing to pay that price already have a console or gaming PC.

1 Like

While I don’t disagree with the overall point of the article - it does seem that it certainly surprised some people. Like the people working on it. Or the devs working on games for it. Cause none of them knew about this in advance. Oof.

7 Likes

Honestly? I’m genuinely surprised they’re refunding everything.

I think maybe the lesson here is less that Stadia was bad and more that the oligopolization of tech industries is so severe that even the other gigacorporations can’t break in to the market

2 Likes

I guess I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “oligopolization of tech industries” w/r/t breaking into the console market. Do you mean that corporate consolidation has lifted the investment threshold for a new console beyond the reach of even corporations with the cash of a Google?

More or less, though I might even say that the investment threshhold might not even exist; I’m not sure it would even be feasible for any corporation to break into a market, no matter how much money they throw at it

Again I can’t speak to Stadia or its quality, it sounded like a mixed bag, but I don’t think the issue was Stadia itself. I think Microsoft or Sony could have pulled it off. The issue is where the market is based.

1 Like