Google OnLi- uh, Stadia

hey remember “what if instead of a game being on your hard drive you streamed it from ~The Cloud~~”

well, it’s back, in Google form, and they seem real fuckin serious about it

bad things about it

• further entrenching of Google’s terrifying monopoly on the digital world (and physical extensions)
  • streaming games as a normalised service sucks for indies, modding, archiving, ownership
  • does nothing for people with dogshit internet

good things

• i don’t know i don’t feel google deserve me to think about what’s good about it. fuck google
24 Likes

Let me know when I can get the Jeeves console instead

9 Likes

The controller looks like someone hit the pause button on a morph between the DS4 and a 360 controller.

1 Like

Remember when Google removed that rule from their official company rules about not being evil

7 Likes

Some interesting tech, but I only see it getting moderate success. Internet infrastructure’s not there yet, they’re only launching in US, Canada, and Europe (read: Western Europe), and it doesn’t offer anything new. It doesn’t meet its own promises of easy access. It’ll be a few years before Google’s got their own first party up and running and chances are it’ll suck for a generation.

Not to mention no info on price, and fuck google.

FYI, they didn’t remove it. They just changed the order of the paragraphs.

As a media scholar (WHICH IS RAD, sometimes) I’m extremely curious about this whole thing. Google is known for killing off some projects pretty easily after they’re released in the wild.
The historical aspect of this platform is scary because, as of right now, it doesn’t physically exist outside of the controller. What happens when these servers go off and we can’t access Stadia exclusive games? Will they be lost to history? Will people in the middle of an Iowa corn field be able to stream and play these games? There are a lot of questions about it.

Also what the fuck is with Google not saying it’s a Netflix type distribution service or buying games individually

3 Likes

From the makers of a corrupt, immoral, and intrusive surveillance apparatus.

Stadia! Buy yours today.

6 Likes

You know, we make fun of the E3 cons a lot, but Jesus… That had to be one of the most soulless, empty, and downright boring press conference I have seen in a long time.

1 Like

On to Stadia: Personally, I’m cautiously optimistic but incredibly sceptical. I’m worried about how it seems built to heavily shape the kinds of games being made:

• Closer connections between Devs, Youtubers and Audiences could make games more derivative and reactionary
  • Machine Learning tools mean the visions of games will heavily be framed by how a single tool develops.
  • They gave no explanation of costs to Devs or to players so who knows if more intensive games will cost more to publish (or the lack of restrictions results in over-extended scope and reduced polish on games).
  • Google monopolising the gaming space from development through sale to the streamers/youtubers is incredibly scary for me.

On the other hand, it is very impressive. The save state sharing feature is extremely exciting to me. Plus, the ability to show multiple streams at once to many players is fascinating to me: the restriction no longer being on the number of frames to render, but on the game could allow for some awesome things like controlling multiple entities at once (or quickly switching between them) or seamlessly moving between environments.

2 Likes

Talk of streaming services for games just makes me wonder if all these tech companies are interested in like… doing something about internet infrastructure and data caps? I mean, probably not. I bet their tech works just fine on their corporate fiber connection so surely someone like me with a cornfield for a back yard will be fine, right? There’s some cool tech behind all this but it just seems like a non-starter for me personally.

Also, is this going be a long-term Google project that they actively support (like Gmail and Chrome) or is this going to be something they work on for a year or two before putting it in maintenance mode and eventually shutting it down (Google Reader, Google+, etc)? It’s really hard for me to get on board with it knowing that Google might just stop working on it at some point with little to no notice before hand.

2 Likes

If they do a game pass setup where you only pay $10 a month, it would make it super compelling. I tested Odyssey on it and it was really good. But if i have to pay $60 per game…i’m not sure…

seriously. Like i live in a pretty mid sized city currently, and my internet is fine enough. I can download things at a okay rate. and can play things like apex without lag like 75% of the time. I’m still doubting how well its going to be able to operate even here.

And still we kinda have no idea how this is going to work. LIke we know how the games actually stream (google plays the game at their place and streams you a video feed of that) but like pricing? Latency? How do games get on the service?

Also comes with it the degredation of ownership. Its been a long time since we’ve truely owned the media itself, but its starting to look dangerously close to not even owning the hardware itself either.

1 Like

gonna repost my twitter thread here instead of rephrasing all my thoughts.

stadia problems

• small developers who make smaller games lose out most in the world of subscription models
  • large developers will be worked even harder due to no limiting factor on target visual fidelity
  • preservation is nonexistent when only google holds the keys
  • many (but esp rural and poor) players in the US will likely have connectivity problems due to bad infrastructure
  • licensing issues like we saw with the san andreas pc port or deadpool will become much more common since its easier to pull something off a server than a shelf
  • centering youtubers as the arbiters of games culture while neglecting to fix youtube’s horrible content moderation system and core algorithmic issues is irresponsible
  • presumably ad profile data will be pulled from game playing habits, an unprecedented step
  • with the options available to pull data from stadia, developers might turn away from traditional design principles and towards a more cynical statistical analysis of how the game plays

generally speaking, i think the tech is very neat and could lead to some cool things, I just wish google could’ve at least answered some of these questions/concerns during their keynote.

13 Likes

Oh god, I didn’t even consider the possible advertising implications of something like this. The YouTube stuff like others have mentioned are also giving me pause especially with all the content moderation issues we’re seeing with these social media platforms. And speaking of moderation, how will games be selected for this service? Assuming (big assumption here) indie devs are able to get games on the this platform okay, how is Google going to approach what games are allowed on Stadia content-wise? Are they going to try for a heavily curated approach? A more Valve/Steam type approach, where almost anything goes?

On the subject of pure infrastructure issues, here’s a motherboard article getting into some of the internet infrastructure related issues that are worth considering (particularly in the US). Not only just terrible broadband speeds and limited access, but things like data caps and net neutrality stuff as well:

1 Like

Source

Somewhere relevant:

[video: “Cloud PC Gaming: A Pie in the Sky?” by George Weidman, aka Super Bunnyhop]

1 Like

Hype to drop $$$$$ on hardware and the most expensive internet available so I can play games on someone else’s machine lmao

Also as others have mentioned, the YouTube integration. Hell yeah, I was playing through Bloodborne again yesterday and just thinking how, wow! The Stadiperience™ of this game would be triple fold if while playing there was a small window in the corner featuring bigoted white game men yelling at me.

7 Likes

Stadia?

More like StadiON’T.

24 Likes

Close the thread. This is the take.

1 Like