Gorgeous 'Birdspotting' Trailer Has No Hunting and No Shooting. Just Being

Modern life is increasingly stressful and dystopian (what with the rainforest and the Arctic burning down) and the thought of fleeing into nature has almost never been more appealing. Wouldn’t it be great if you could just escape it all and find a quiet, disconnected place to chill out and watch some birds? That’s the promise behind the upcoming Birdspotting, a new video game from developers Joram van Loenen and Khalil Arafan.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mbmg3x/gorgeous-birdspotting-trailer-has-no-hunting-and-no-shooting-just-being
2 Likes

Is it weird that one of my first thoughts reading this was, “Oh boy, I hope there’s educational material about birds in this!”

Video games have changed, huh

1 Like

Not quite a game, but if anyone wants a good bird id app Merlin from Cornell labs is pretty cool.
I’ve been wanting to try learning more about birds after reading “How To Do Nothing” by Jenny Odell and seeing her thoughts on how that can relate to both bioregionalism and rebuilding your capacity for attention

4 Likes

Thanks for the app tip! I looked it and downloaded it immediately because the app icon is :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

Merlin Bird ID is an great way to get into birding! I started using it because the University I went to was in the foothills of the Rockies, so there were birds everywhere. The app is intuitive, and the questions you answer about the bird you saw train your brain to look for and consider the most important factors for identifying birds. About a year or so after I got the app I bought a legit birding handbook for my area. All that training from the app helped me know what information to internalize from the handbook, which in turn helped me identify birds on sight.

The icon is great too! I put it next to Twitter on my phone so the little birds could keep each other company!

1 Like