'Gran Turismo 7' Makes a Triumphant Comeback on Its Own Terms

You are not the hero of Gran Turismo 7. If it has protagonists, they are engineers, designers, and probably the corporations they work for. The game's coffee table book sensibilities don't require a hotshot driver to transform its generous collection of cars into winning race cars. The cars are already great, that's why they're here in a Gran Turismo game. You just need to be a worthy and appreciative steward of the cars it presents to you.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5dgjx8/gran-turismo-7-review
2 Likes

damn this is such a well-written piece

It’s quiet in here, like that moment when you get into a new car and before you turn it on when the sound of the outside world is briefly hushed by the heavy click of a closing door.

I think (unrelated to how good this is) that this will be the first GT game I get. It seems much more beginner friendly and I love the idea of the cafe vibe.

1 Like

Holy moly was I not ready for GT7 to be released this early. Between Witch Queen, Cyberpunk, and a tiny little game called Elden Ring, I’m going to have to punt on getting into The Real Driving Simulator™ for the time being.

But boy am I excited to try out the Dualsense triggers on a solid driving game.

1 Like

You ever wonder what Satie’s “Trois Gymnopédies” would sound like with a preset Casio keyboard trip-hop beat behind it?

Officer? I’d like to report a murder.

I’m fairly excited for this game. I love the driving model that GT uses, and the way it gives individual cars some real character, but I’ve been deeply spoiled by Horizon. I love ‘just driving around’ as a break from track racing, and find point to point racing more satisfying than laps on a track. Looking forward to grabbing this one on sale and just basking in that car feel.

I’m really mixed on this game. Reading Rob’s review I’m seeing all of the things that made me ditch GT a decade ago are back in full force. License testing, confusing AI, sterile fetishizing of automotive engineering, the works.

Yeah buddy, gimme that Zacny shit. Rob has an uncanny ability to write fantastically about games that I have zero interest in playing.

3 Likes

It’s quiet in here, like that moment when you get into a new car and before you turn it on when the sound of the outside world is briefly hushed by the heavy click of a closing door.

This might be the best final sentence in any video game review ever.

1 Like