'Granblue Fantasy: Versus' Knows That Love Comes Before Getting Good

I love fighting games, but fighting games are not always easy to love. Like sports or anything else equally technical and complicated that people are capable of getting wildly emotional about, fighting games are endlessly fascinating to people already into them and frustrating and impenetrable to those who aren’t. This is a particularly difficult gap to bridge, because what makes fighting games complicated and difficult to get into is inseparable from what makes them complex, competitive, rewarding, and joyful.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m7qk5v/granblue-fantasy-versus-review
1 Like

Had a bit of an epiphany the other day where I realized that I could use the skill button to help me get through a part of a combo that I was having trouble with. It lets me do the combo but gives that particular ability a longer cool down, so doing it this way also slightly changes the way I have to approach the game for a few extra seconds.

So it’s working as advertised, I guess.

1 Like

There’s so much personality in everything in this game. I love it. And the special button can let me play and let my hands keep up with my brain while I still work to do the combos using the technical commands in training mode. I think Granblue might be my favorite Street Fighter atm.

1 Like

Yep, same here. I have a Zeta combo where I do the technical input for the first special, but can’t get the timing down for the second special and so use the skill button there. It’s really useful!

(Also until playing this game, I never knew what your profile pic was. Ferry is so good :pray:t4:)

1 Like