Great Names for Characters

Though I’m loathe to self publicise, I was struck by this while listening to Twilight Mirage, so spent seven months adding nice words sorted by syllable count to a big database of name fragments for https://twitter.com/fattnpcs. Here’s some of my recent faves (click for the full image):

Quadrilateral King

Characteristically Crow

I found the easiest way to think up more words was to reach for emotionally resonant ones then slap them together without context. Just putting them alongside each other would highlight tensions. Clacks Semaphore, Curt Antwellier, Sickle in Mortar, X-ray Slacks

What I found also was very helpful was that certain syllabic pairs just sound right while others don’t. Here’s the ones I settled on for my bot (sorry that it’s messy this is pulled straight from the source code)

Pairs

“name”: “#1s# #1s#”,"#1s# #2s#","#1s# #3s#", “#1s# #4s#”,"#1s# #5s#","#1s# #6s#", “#1s# #6s#”, “#2s# #1s#”,"#2s# #2s#", “#2s# #3s#”, “#2s# #4s#”, “#3s# #1s#”, “#3s# #2s#”, “#3s# #4s#”,"#4s# #1s#", “#4s# #2s#”, “#4s# #3s#”,"#5s# #1s#","#5s# #2s#","#6s# #1s#","#6s# #2s#","#6s# #3s#",

I recommend anything from IKEA like, SKUBB, VOXNAN, BROGRUN, and BILLY

Please tell me it’s short for X-raymond.

tag yurself im “wob wonkoz”

This is a biggun, but I’ve got a google doc chock full of names for the Scum and Villainy game I run, and I may have more names than opportunities to use 'em.

Favourites other than the big dump below: Corona St-Vincent, Buzz Oboe, Bacchus Bacchus, Lynwood Orchid, Markhor, Midsummer Midnight, Million Bucks, Billion Bucks, Trillion Bucks.

I made a faction that all have names that I took from the names paint companies give their colours: Minstrel Rose, Iris Strong, Salmon Roe, Amalfi Lagoon, Taos Stone, Via Veneto, Ceylon Tea, Sylvan Song, Roman Pines, Cypress Wind, Cypress Lane, Stellar’s Jay, Paris-by-Midnight, Sable Grey, Windsor Gypsum, Crystal Ware, Jasper Deep, Saxon Cobalt, Cepheus, Glacier Black, Flemish Sky, Icy Country, Rigoletto, Parthian Lavender, Virginia Bluebell, Cloudy Quartz, Duchess’ Violet, Diaphanous Sky, Auvers Church, Royal Velour, Théo+Vincent, Wizard, Beacon Gray, Delphinium.

Also my players came up with some good fake names a couple of times via random noun generators: Cappuccino Detail, Pinecone Plastis, Geraldo Pomegranate, and Limis Covar.

They fall more into a funny name category, but I appreciated them.

I am really bad at motivating myself to write, at some point I found that just making up a name was the smallest possible creative writing exercise that I could regularly get myself to engage with. I don’t use the names for anything but they live in a google doc and I enjoy them. I store my names for bands I will never form in the same document.

Ursula Le Guin wrote at some point about how she came up with names by reversing common names or words and tweaking them a bit, her example is starting with Salem and ending up with Omelas. Some of mine using this technique are ‘Shimah Senni’, ‘Nitlack Einlor’, ‘Rakobolg Yksor’, and ‘Nug Telliks’ which has its roots in Breakfast and Battlegrounds.

One of my favourite accidental sources for good names was Europa Universalis IV’s dynamic province naming: ‘Xi Ordos’, ‘Bukharan Ob’, ‘Darya Syr’, ‘Yar Kyzyl’. They all sound like good sci-fi names to me.

I think my two most ‘Friends at the Table’ names so far are ‘Stubb Mitow’ and ‘Rebecca Convalescent’.

Is it okay if we share a real person’s name? Because one of my professors had* a very good name. My adviser had* an amazing name too.

*They both still have their wonderful names, but I graduated so they aren’t my professor/adviser anymore.

Saw Ursula Le Guin and went ‘That’s a great name… oh wait that’s a real person.’