Guitars, Bass Guitars, Baritone Guitars, Any Other Instruments Really Let's Talk About Them

I do not have a guitar, though have been playing sporadically for the past 15 years and my old man has a Strat that’s been around longer than I have.

I feel like this is the year I finally give in and save up for a Mustang though. Playing 70 hours of Rock Band will do that to you.

You might be in luck as the reviews for this one are quite good and this thing is dirt cheap: http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/squier-bullet-mustang-hh

Wow, thanks for linking that to me. I looked up a couple of YouTube vids for it and it sounds pretty great especially at that price point (Will have to look into what the shipping looks like for Asia, though! Getting things like guitars here have reportedly been harrowing experiences with customs)

Speaking of guitars, does anyone have a suggestion for a decent second guitar? I have been playing on a Fender Bullet Strat for about five years now and I’m starting to think it’s time to move on. I don’t know much about guitars but preferably something with more than 21 frets and a whammy bar that doesn’t make the instrument go completely out of tune. I’m not swimming in money but I can maybe a few hundred bucks?

I guess I would recommend trying out some different Ibanez guitars? as for the wammy bar, don’t get anything with a floyd rose bridge because those things are a fucker to keep in tune, despite how fun they might be to fool around with.

My philosophy with second guitars has always been that I want a guitar that does something different from what my primary guitar. if you have a strat, maybe try an SG, if you have a Les Paul then maybe try a Telecaster, if you have a Jazzmaster, try out a Schecter 7-string… okay maybe not that. The point is, try something different. If you’ve been playing the same guitar for 5 years maybe try playing something that is totally unlike what you’ve been playing for so long.

That seems like a pretty good philosophy!

I’ve been playing steel string guitar for a number of years. I play fingerstyle using thumb and finger picks, and I mostly play in open tunings. Stuff like John Fahey, Daniel Bachman and recently I’ve started to tackle a bunch of Nick Drake tunes. I’ve done Which Will, Things Behind The Sun and now I’m working on Far Leys/Sketch 1. It’s a beautiful instrumental piece but quite hard to get just right. Also using finger picks for that one is quite difficult I’m finding.

I’ve been using this guys cover for reference and also a different tab interpretation. Btw this guy is using a guitar pick to play this song which I find kind of amazing since Nick Drake used his fingernails and getting this tune right with just a finger pick seems really difficult.

Also if anyone has any recommendations for good strings when it comes to fingerpicking I would be grateful. I’ve mostly been using D’Addario EJ19 strings, which are Light Top/Medium Bottom strings. I like them for the most part, but there is sort of an annoying buzz that comes with picking the bottom strings hard, which I need to do for some songs.

You might look into the Squire Bass VI which while technically a Bass can also be used as a baritone guitar. I had to swap out the bridge on mine for it to really work the way I wanted so that’s an extra $75 ish for a better bridge on top of the $450 base price but you are looking for a niche guitar here so I suspect that’s about as good a deal as you’ll get

Lassemomme’s rec of Ibanez is also good though as if anyone is going to have what you want it’s them.

There might also be something on here that’s worth a go:

Thanks for the tips everyone! I took a look at some Ibanez stuff and it looked pretty much what I think I want. I’m leaning towards a Ibanez GRG140. It’s seems a bit similar to my current guitar, but I was planning to give it to friends once I get a new one.

Woo a John Fahey fan! Have you heard of Bert Jansch or John Renbourn? Those guys seem right up your alley.

That cover of Far Leys is beautiful. Good luck with the picking. I don’t know much about strings for this kind of music. My buddy who plays a lot of pieces like this usually just uses a nylon string guitar.

I am extremely glad that this thread was resurrected because I used my birthday/Christmas money to buy myself an electric guitar and I have Some Questions.

I played a lot of music from ages 5-17 and sporadically as an adult. Acoustic guitar, trumpet, and piano. I never took any lessons but was able to memorize chords and play at a basic level. I have a very beginners grasp of musical theory but I would really like to try my hand at writing some songs. I mean, I’m not trying to make a living of it but I’d like to be able to turn the noodling I used to do while practicing into actual songs.

Any advice on resources for musical theory that’s accessible and geared toward novice song writing? Articles or books are preferred but YouTube channels are OK as well. I haven’t really started looking even because there’s just So Much out there and I’m not in any mood to try and separate the wheat from the chaff.

There’s sort of a lot of ways to come at this. In my opinion it’s best to start learning about theory with music you already like and are familiar with.

Assuming you like the Beatles, this is an excellent resource of classical composition techniques, all made explicit and catchy.

However regardless of what you like, one of the best things you can do is to pick a few songs you like and figure out what notes are in them and how they relate. Can you pick out the chord tones in a melody? How is the harmony coloring the melody? How many times is a phrase repeated? Etc. It’s really important to start building an understanding of the patterns melodies and songs take, so you can employ them in your own writing for effect.

Nice to find a fellow Fahey enthusiast! I’m a really big fan of Bert Jansch’s self titled debut as well as Jack Orion. I haven’t listened much to Renbourn outside of maybe one or two songs.

I’ve actually thought about using a nylon string guitar for some of the songs, maybe I’ll try that out. Thanks!

Yes, I love the Beatles, that is terrific - thank you!

Browsing a few entries, I think this will be a good starting point. I think … one thing that I need (that has helped me with other art) is to learn the terms and basic concepts. From there I can probably fumble my way toward resources that are more specifically tailored toward my interests.

It’s really important to start building an understanding of the patterns melodies and songs take, so you can employ them in your own writing for effect.

During my most recent spate of guitar playing a couple years ago I started to pay attention to structure more when I was learning songs. I think I was playing something Iron and Wine and realized “oh he basically just writes two phrases and repeats them but varies up the accompaniment.” From there I was able to think a little more critically about the way songs were put together but not a whole lot I can do without having the vocabulary to describe it.

I graduated college in December and decided to get myself a gift for myself and saw that Eastwood Guitars was doing a sale and I saw this guitar and became obsessed. I’ve been making lots of space influenced music lately and this feels like the perfect device to be my conduit to compose.

ALSO: I’m an Admin in a Gear Group on Facebook that focuses on being an open space for instrumentalists/gearheads of all ages, races, and genders. No Blooze Dads allowed! https://www.facebook.com/groups/602730243184843/about/

Booze dad? What’s a - ohh, “bLooze dad.” Huh.

[google.com :: "Blooze Dads]

I have known this man. His favorite guitarist is Eric Clapton but he only knows the opening lick of “Layla” and has never heard of Cream.

I’ve been making a more serious attempt at learning the guitar these past few months - a combo of looking at tabs on my Ultimate Guitar app, using Rocksmith, trying to play songs from memory, develop the muscle memory, etc.

I think I’m finally making some progress? Cause holy moly I am still bad but I’ve made a much larger amount of progress than in past attempts to really try and learn guitar (which resulted in me giving up).

I need to pick the piano up again though.

If you’re looking for good teaching I can highly recommend Justinsandercoe on youtube. He is a former session musician and guitarist for Katie Meluah, and he has 1000’s of videos on youtube that cover anything from theory to blues to jazz, rock, technique, you name it. he even also has a seperate channel dedicated to song tutorials.

I’ll have to check those videos out! My main issue is lack of muscle memory and struggling to be on the correct string (or for the higher frets - the fret as well).

yeah that stuff just takes time, I’ve been there. I found that remembering the 12th fret helps a lot when keeping track of the higher stuff. the two dots on the fret board makes it a nice waypoint (no pun intended). after that it’s just a matter of repeating the note structure from the first fret.