Gundam ‘Overwatch’ Is Better Than It Has Any Right To Be

Gundam Evolution, the free-to-play Gundam shooter which was released on Tuesday for PC, Xbox, and Playstation is, somehow, one of the better hero shooters I’ve played in a long time. I say this knowing that my devout love of Mobile Suit Gundam may be clouding my judgment, but believe it wholeheartedly. Let me give you a snapshot:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5d35xn/gundam-overwatch-is-better-than-it-has-any-right-to-be
2 Likes

Does it successfully balance that derivativeness with solid execution, and a very clear, ground-up design. Also yes. And that is more than you can say for the current state of Overwatch, which feels like watching a gymnast flip around in the air for three years only to then land sternum first onto the bar and collapse on the ground.

Bandi Namco managing to put out a Gundam game that actually goes toe to toe with Overwatch is exciting.

Really hope this doesn’t end up like the Ghost in the Shell F2P shooter from a few years ago that I still maintain was on par with COD but never got the player base size it deserved.

2 Likes

Small note here because I stumped myself trying to find this on the Xbox store, but it’s only out on PC right now and is looking at a November 30 console release.

3 Likes

We never get English releases for Gihren’s Greed or the majority of the Super Robot Wars games, so I am just excited to have a Gundam game release here that seems up my alley.

And it has the Methuss! Turn-A and Sazabi are my faves, but I have such a soft spot for the Methuss.

1 Like

It’s also uhhh not planned for release ever in Oceania, South America and other parts of the world, so that’s a bummer :frowning:

I guess they’re just not interested in investing into maintaining servers for these regions.

2 Likes