Gunpla (and other plastic models)

This has got out of hand

4 Likes

1 Like

Finished my first RG!

I’ve built quite a few models now but have yet to decide on what to paint them. I have some Armored Komodo pigments coming in hopefully today so I’ll probably do something iridescent on one to see how it looks.

4 Likes

that’s a great build,is that the titan colours MkII?

I have now watched a ton of weathering videos and am probably going to start roughing up this gundam soon.

here’s another vanity shot before i wreck it, the low price tag of a HG gunpla is really freeing in terms of modifying it.

3 Likes

HG’s are fun little sandboxes. I have an old Ground Gundam that I’m going to tear to bits with weathering and battle damage.

Thanks! It is the Titan MK2 and it was a pretty fun build except for the cloth tubes. Those things were a nightmare that got easily frayed on the ends. If I did it again I would probably look into maybe putting a light glue coating on the tips to prevent it.

is that the cabling stuff on the backpack? i didn’t know there were soft furnishings involved in gunpla. it’s not called gunbroidery. (though i would also be interested in that as a hobby)

Yeah it’s the cabling on the back. Making clothes for Gundam would actually be pretty funny IMO

wow, they really look like they’d be tricky. if they’re synthetic material i would be tempted to pass the ends through a lighter flame for half a second to get rid of the fraying bit and make them a bit more manageable.

the crossbone gundam comes with a big cloak, but i think that’s plastic as well. does have a beam cutlass though, so that helps.

The braided cloth cable can definitely be a bit tricky to work with. I didn’t run into the issue with the ends fraying because I used a very sharp hobby knife to cut it and I took my time making sure the ends were neatly tucked in underneath the plastic when assembling.

2 Likes

Yeah I used scissors which in retrospect maybe not the best choice. Will definitely use a hobby knife going forward!

Ok, I think I’m done messing about with this one. The Matt clearcoat goes a long way to making it look less plasticky.

4 Likes

You did a great job! That battle damage on the shield looks good.

thanks! i didn’t want to overdo it elsewhere, but it made sense for the shield to take the brunt of it. the shield is always the first thing to go, then the gun, then the legs (don’t need legs in space)

2 Likes

So I spent most of July building my first 1/100 and MG, a GM Sniper II. I can definitely see why these are more expensive. It’s got a good weight too it and the plastic just feels like it’s higher quality.

I decided to spend this weekend building out an HG Crossbones. Was a fun pretty easy kit and it comes with a ton of weapons. Love the look of Crossbones and wish the 1/100 MG wasn’t so expensive. Also heard it’s one of the older MGs so it’s a pretty rough kit when it comes to posing and stability.

4 Likes

Love the GM Sniper! know what you mean by them being weighty. Especially when it comes to kits with subtler designs and few protruding parts, they just feel extra sturdy and nice to hold. It’s great.

I just want to share that I got one of those metal pick looking things that your dentist would use on your teeth as part of a cleaning kit for my airbrush and that thing is maybe the most handy tool to have around for part separation. They’re like $5 for a set of various sizes on Amazon and worth picking up.

Reading through various reviews they seem like the kind of thing that are just great to have on hand regardless of what you do.

2 Likes

I always remember my dad having one and I would think “jeez what the heck is this doing out in a tool box? it’s not even clean!” Little did I know the multitude of times you’d need something very small and pointy to get something out of something, clean something out, etc. (I also have a nicer set of tweezers of various shapes and they do functionally the same thing :open_mouth: )

I just picked up with RG Crossbone, which I’ve heard is a great kit! I’ll report back once I get started on it.

Has anyone ever built one of the Perfect Grade kits? My white whale was always the PG Zaku II, in order to add it to my roster of Zakus, but the price tag and the paucity of time always prevented me from doing so. If I happen to have a windfall, I am finally in a place where both time and the availability of tools would allow me to get to it.