Hades, an action RPG by Supergiant games

Is there any indication of this coming to any more consoles beyond Xbox and PC?

This game kinda reminds me of a Lucas Pope quote that I heard a few years ago in an interview. He basically said something to the effect of, “there’s something to be said of following up Papers, Please with a shitty game because it might reset expectations.”

Hades is almost certainly not a “shitty game” (note: I haven’t even played it yet), but damn Pyre was extremely ambitious, wasn’t it?

The FAQ suggests itll come to more platforms after early access, sgg have been pretty great about ports so it’s safe to assume it’ll wind up most places eventually

Eagerly awaiting Hades’ arrival on Vita.

I reeeeally want to play this, but it keeps freezing in the training room, for me, so I can’t get into my next run.

Updating my video drivers and praying

aaah that sounds scary! goodluck i hope you can get it working! if not submitting a report on the supergiant discord group is an option, they have a specific section for tech support and are very responsive

Using Nvidia card? I found that the game was only using the CPU and not the GPU to process things, so when I did that change a lot got better. I also had to roll back the drivers to the one released in November in order to get it to fully work.

I wanted to follow up on my earlier whining about Hades being a safe concept with a relatively over-explored mythological setting.

I picked it up, and played an hour or so of it. The voice acting and the character relationship elements do a lot to mitigate the bland premise, and it certainly is fun to play. It reminds me a lot of Dead Cells from a pacing perspective, which is great. The idea of building character relationships in between (and during) runs is brilliant, and feels like a “why has nobody done this before” kind of idea (if someone has, I apologize - I don’t play many roguelites).

I’m still a little disappointed in the whole “Hades is a bad guy and all the other gods are ‘good’ more or less” implication, but the game has a lot of room still to subvert that. Hades being the de facto villain in a story about greek gods is a tired trope, but he at least seems to have some character depth to explore as the game goes on.

Overall, I’m a little softer on Hades now that I’ve played it. I still think the pitch is disappointing compared to the sheer creativity and ambition of Pyre, and even Transistor, but I absolutely do not begrudge Supergiant their right to make something with more marketable premise and mechanics, especially if it helps let them continue to hone their craft. I can already see that they’re still bringing a lot of creativity to it, which is heartening.

I watched Giant Bomb play a bit of it, and decided to pick it up myself. Like a lot of you, Pyre was one of my favorite games last year so I was a bit disappointed at them making a pretty traditional sounding game. Then I played it for 2 and half hours straight…

This game oozes all the personality and charm of their other games. It looks and plays pretty polished for an early access game. There’s even a fair bit of narrative between runs. Which you’ll encounter frequently if you’re bad at games and die a lot.

The game didn’t really click with me mechanically until I unlocked the shield. Even then I may switch to keyboard and mouse, even though there’s not really precise aiming. With it being similar-ish to Bastion, I do hope to see some Bastion-inspired weapons or references.

The game definitely has the “just one more run” and “every run counts even a little bit” thing down pretty well already. Unless you’re dying in the first room, you should at least make small process on some permanent upgrades. You can even respec the ones from the mirror eventually.

I just wish it didn’t have lack of healing like a lot of these games have. Occasionally you can get healing in shops or from drops, but it’s rare.

Either way, it certainly has potential!

Where? I can’t find it on YT or Twitch.

It was on their last episode of UPF.

Transistor and Pyre are both a little too “smart” for their own good. Transistor utterly rejects traditional storytelling and narrative beats, while having one of the most deceptively complex combat systems of most action games.

Pyre is a single-player fantasy sports game visual novel. They programmed the end credits song lyrics to change based on the standing of every main cast member. It is an unbelievable labor of love and passion from the team, but it’s so offbeat and unlike everything else (also it drags a lot during the end) that most people weren’t sure what to think of it.

I’d love to live in a world where every creator could safely spend infinity time to create the game they genuinely want to make. But after two genre-bending and super risky works of art, I am 100% cool with them choosing to do a safe business choice to stay financially solvent.

I’ll pick this up later tonight and probably wait until it’s feature-complete before trying it.