Has There Ever Been an Ending So Satisfying You Feel Complete Closure?

I finally finished 'Black Sails' last night and the ending was perfect.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/neevyw/has-there-ever-been-an-ending-so-satisfying-you-feel-complete-closure

Sam Rami’s Spiderman 3.

If you ignore the small sequel set up in the after-credits bit in Horizon: Zero Dawn, Horizon: Zero Dawn comes amazingly close.

Nier: Automata ends in a way where it feels like all the weight of the world has been lifted off of your shoulders accompanied by a kiss & a smack on the cheek.

That game had such complete closure that I forgot I had played it until you mentioned it!

I was fairly young when Red Dead Redemption came out, but I distinctly remember the game’s ending being one of the first times the narrative circle closed. I was stunned by the irony and sadness Marston’s end. He’d spent so much time playing the game by other people’s rules, just trying to save his family. Through the whole experience of tracking other outlaws the story seeded the notion that maybe Marston made a deal with a devil that’d collect his bounty in due time. I just couldn’t believe a game would bring me the same kind of justice that’d I’d been dispensing without a thought.

Supernatural. Five seasons, all leading to a showdown that was handled perfectly and definitively. They even had a very nice voice-over from one of the supporting characters wrapping it all up.

Wait, they what? Eight more seasons… still going?!.. but how… why…

Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood had a interesting end with after the large fight is seeing where the characters are in their lives.

Seconding Full Metal Alchemist. Also, throwing in Claymore, even though I know people were pretty divided on that one. FreakAngels, Nimona, and Snarlbear on the webcomic side of things. In terms of video games, the ones that quickly come to mind for me are Bastion, Undertale, and Thomas was Alone. The former two require a specific kind of ending for me to really feel like everything is nice and wrapped up though.

I was thinking about Claymore but I kinda felt there was more to do with that series. I will say the main part that Claymore was heading is complete so there is closure in that aspect.

I second this. Nier is incredibly satisfying.

Synechdoche, New York and Black Swan.

The TV series The Shield was probably 2 or 3 seasons too long but the final arc is so perfect: Vic Mackey has gotten away with increasingly drastic corruption, murder and crime and it seems like he can’t possibly escape, but the irony of the ending that he does successfully escape punishment or capture again(!) but it costs him everything he’s ever loved was just an incredibly satisfying and well done conclusion which really forced you to realize you’d been rooting for him this whole time. Perfect ending IMO

F.E.A.R. was perfect. Then… they did the rest of the series. It… was designed to fit the genre perfectly, so despite being a little bit “unfinished business-y” it felt so good, and it put a huge smile on my face.

Ori and the Blind Forest was pretty awesome. Felt really satisfying and done. There was a part of me thinking about achievements of all things, and about the fact that I witnessed it at like 87% completion or whatever, which robbed that moment of complete closure, but I think the ending itself earned it if you ignore that part.

I have two solid examples, both of which have been, to an extent, robbed by time. As a kid, I really loved the ending to His Dark Materials (the book series of Northern Lights/Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass), precisely because the note that it ended on was bittersweet and left me feeling very tender about the whole thing.

The other is (surprise!) the ending to the original Dark Souls. While it is, on its face, a fairly unimpressive ending (particularly in the base game), repeated plays (and exploration of the alternate paths) really gives both of the endings, and the world, a layer of poignancy. The addition of the DLC only further complicated the picture, but made continuing to think about and explore the conceptual space of the game better. I really loved the ending. And then they made two sequels which undo any finality to it. Ehhh.

Honestly, Breath of the Wild did this for me even though it seems like not a lot of people enjoyed the ending. I never really hopped back into the world after beating it, and never felt the need to either, except based on some suggestions for side quests I missed coming from people I follow.

The original release of Persona 3. The whole ending sequence gives you time to decompress from the last fight and when it’s over, it’s really over. It’s the perfect ending for the game’s thematic ambitions.

Then in true Atlus fashion they add more shit in the rerelease that misses the whole point of the finality of that sequence but who’s bitter definitely not me.

I always thought the ending of Full Throttle was just perfect.

Grim Fandango too, for that matter.

It’s not that every single question was answered and everything perfectly tied up, but all the plot relevant threads get resolved in a way that it feels doesn’t need revisiting. I might be curious about what happens to the characters next, but I feel that satisfaction of a story being done.

Red Dead Redemption. The music, the tone, the aspect of you “heading home” truly brought me to tears.

Yes, yes a thousand times yes to His Dark Materials. That series is incredible (and holds up really well as an adult–I reread it last year).

Philip Pullman is returning to that world this fall with The Book of Dust and I am so excited.