Have we reached peak "boy"?

It seems more and more people are using “boy” when referring to characters or people. I don’t know how to exactly describe it, but you’ve surely noticed this too. From people saying “beautiful boys” or “enemy boys” it seems people love using that word. I think I first heard it repetitively in the Monster Factory videos but it seems to have permeated many different videos/web sites. Is this just the latest gaming lingo zeitgeist thing or is this something that is popular across all of the internet? Am I the only one noticing this? Does it get on anyone else’s nerves?

there is no such thing as too much boy

(except when there is)

The whole “boi” things gets to me.

We all live in the McElroy extended universe now.

Seriously, it was popularized by those good good boys and spread from there; it’s gonna be around till something else replaces it.

Boy.

It’s in the gaming zeitgeist through Monster Factory/McElroy content. With no offense to the McElroy brothers. It’s reached a point for me where I just don’t care for seeing it. It isn’t a political thing for me, I’m just tired of seeing and hearing it outside the context of the (very funny) original videos. Memes are bad.

I associate “boi” with young British adolescent men, which is an awful thing to be associated with.

Are we talking 'bout peakboys up in this thread?

(I wonder if we’re actually at peak boy, or if we’re at the point where it’s going to start to propagate outside the communities that originated it, at which point there’s going to be a lot of boys happening everywhere, and it will be very rough).

Haha, “Peakboys” is the name of my Twin Peaks podcast.

I think we’re definitely at the peak. It’s going to be over used for the next few months before it dies out. It will then have a resurgence among the ironic crowds in a couple years.

‘Boy’ is only going up from here, till the point of total cultural and linguistic dominance within the next five years.

Just a heads up - boi specifically is a spelling that has come from LGBT and AAVE circles.

AAVE?

That’s a new one to me.

The term or saying boi is attributed to that?

Oh, that!

I had honestly never seen that acronym before, so I had no idea that’s what it referred to.

I, for one, am a big fan of this sacred creation of the McElboys

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it being used like that. So, that’s not what I meant. I think the boi I meant goes well with the whole dabbing thing.

I’m not even 25 and I feel old every time I use the Internet.

I’m going to sincerely blow your mind when you find out where dabbing comes from, heh. I’m just giving people a heads up because the whole “oh this term is overplayed” is often a function of the internet churning through marginalized population’s trends and making them a contextless, repetitive soup. Quite often this is straight from black and brown teenagers, queer culture (see ballroom and voguing) and the like.

Dabbing is from the Atlanta hip-hop scene, not the McElroys.

Dabbing has its origins in Atlanta hip-hop culture, but, like a lot of other trends in black American culture, was appropriated into and “sanitized for” white culture. Of course, when people hate on dabbing or phrases like “boi,” those criticisms have their roots in anti-blackness, whether the person making them is conscious of that or not.

Just so no one gets it twisted, my dislike of “boy” is the use established by the McElroys not the boi used in hip hop. Someone else brought that up and the thread has veered off a bit.

Also I don’t think anyone is saying the McElroys started dabbing, lol.

In the UK we refer to this as ‘absolute boy’

But enough about Corbyn

No one has but I think it’s a germane topic to the idea of being tired of stuff and how it’s usually popular white people who play it out despite it having currency and popularity from people of color and whatnot. I find the continual, relentless useage of McElroy-isms also a bit grating but when we flatly say “oh x is played out” without really understanding where it came from, it doesn’t always read that way.

McElroys being seen as doing “funny dabbing jokes” that I see people do on social absolutely is a conversation to have, surely, because they could be the first people doing it that younger teens come into contact with. It’s why losing authorship on some of this stuff in popular culture is why many creators and communities don’t get their proper due.