Help with overcoming online shyness

Hello Waypoint community! I have a very difficult time trying to socialize on the internet. I never post anything on social media and I never try to engage in conversation with strangers. It also sucks that none of my friends really use anything but Facebook, which I really don’t like and have stopped using it. Any of y’all ever been in this position and was able to improve? This community seems real cool and felt like a comfortable place to ask. Thanks!

I think most people go through this at first.

It’s like joining a new club. You “lurk” for a bit to get a feel then you slowly engage over time.

Also personally if you aren’t on main stream social media at this point I would maybe advise just ignoring it. It’s informative but incredibly stressful.

Sounds like I’m on the right track then haha

I’m definitely the same way, I am a chronic lurker and am always hesitant to engage with forums, social media comments, threads, etc. Waypoint is one of my first times actually posting anything in a public discussion, and that was only because they were topics I was really into. But this community doesn’t feel toxic or obsessed with internet clout (which I’m definitely self-conscious about) so that really helps me. All this to say I’m still getting my feet wet as far as online discussion with strangers, but scrolling through the forums every now and then to post a thought or two on interesting topics has certainly helped me. What you’re doing now is definitely a good start, and I would second being ok with avoiding the dumpster fire that mainstream social media can be.