Here's What We Learned About 'Watch Dogs: Legion' After an Hour with the Game

After Ubisoft's dramatic pitch, it was hard to know what to think about Watch Dogs: Legion. There is an admirable ambition to the game's systems-driven narrative and procedurally generated character. But its setting and themes—an exploration of a post-Brexit, dystopian U.K.—will require a great deal of storytelling deftness to hit well. We'll know if they can do it when the game launches early March 03, 2020, but for now, Waypoint Radio's own Austin and Patrick can share their early hands on with the game. Stick around for impressions of Roller Champions, and the crew's thoughts on Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Marvel's Avengers, and everything else from the Square-Enix's big event. What else was there at Square Enix's big event? Find out by listening below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43jbpp/heres-what-we-learned-about-watch-dogs-legion-after-an-hour-with-the-game

Yo, if Patrick is gonna throw shade to FFIX, we’re gonna need to step outside. Now.

I am incredibly interested in the groups discussion of FFVII’s English Characterization of Barret and Aeris in both the original and in the remake, with the knowledge of Tim Rogers video series on the differences in translation. I would also be fascinated by the knowledge of whether the english script for the remake was re-translated from the japanese remake, or adapted from the original english translation.

Barrets descent from Military tough facade in the japanese, to mr T racial stereotype in the english version is something that would be a good discussion. Perhaps as FF7 gets closer to release or more info comes out. The dream would be an interview with John Eric Bentley (Barret’s VA in the remake) about the character.

EDIT: I mistakenly referred to Barret’s original characterization as “Yakuza” rather than more military which is closer to the truth. It was Cid that was spoke as if he was a Yakuza.

1 Like

Late post, but I can’t not ride this hobby horse: “remaster” is actually the perfect term for the current ports of FF7-9. In film and music, remaster describes new releases that use current technology to produce a higher fidelity reproduction than was possible or practical circa the original release. In my mind, if there’s a new engine, it’s a remake, no matter how closely you stick to the original. No one calls Gus Van Sant’s Psycho a “remaster”, for example.