Hey, Xbox Nerds, This Is Your Reminder to Play 'Nier: Automata'

Open Thread is where Waypoint staff talk about games and other things we find interesting. This is where you'll see us chat about games, music, movies, TV, and even sports, and welcome you to participate in the discussion.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/pavnz8/hey-xbox-nerds-this-is-your-reminder-to-play-nier-automata

I would like to, but I didn’t play Nier. I’m worried I’ll just be confused.

As a person who was in the same boat, I can say that you will almost never be confused cause you didn’t play the first Nier.

Is there a primer anywhere I can read, or does it really not matter?

heard it dont matter none

I can’t link it now as I’m at work, but if I remember correctly I think Super Bunny Hop’s youtube channel has a run down of OG Nier.

Also SuperBunnyHop is great.

I saw that actually, it kinda only helped a little tbh.

But if it doesn’t matter, I’ll probably just dive in

The game offers enough of a primer I’d say (I haven’t played the original but what lore is relevant to Automata is kind of leaked out bit by bit through lore and such).

I recently started a thread about playing NieR without knowing anything. I just got the xbox version and havent started yet but anyone wary about jumping in take a look over at this thread, also spoiler free.

It doesn’t matter – I loved NieR: Automata and never touched the first NieR game.

There is absolutely some referential material, but it is supplemental to the main plot and, for my tastes, pretty clearly A Reference. There’s often material to let you dig into and explore that reference in the game, although I’m sure there’s missing context I don’t have because I didn’t play the first NieR.

Please please please don’t let that thought hold you back. I didn’t play Nier. I loved Automata. I don’t feel at all compelled to go back and check out the original Nier. I got a whole and complete story.