Holiday Recipe Thread

Inspired by the recent discussion of holiday recipes on Waypoint Radio, I wanted a spot for folks to post some of their recipes that we all bust out at the holidays. I’ll start (and I’ll be back with photo evidence, if the thread holds up):

Our family tradition is roast pork on Christmas Day. I got it into my head a few years ago that we should try doing sausage and apple stuffing to go with it (as opposed to my mom’s usual still-great stuffing), and my mom cranked out this work of genius.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if they’re going to be anybody’s cup of tea however as these are like 30 years old recipes.

Roast Gammon with Citrus, Rasin, and Rum sauce:

Ingredients:
Gammon joint ideally smoked 2.5kg
Black treacle 1 tbl spoon
Sea salt (crystals are better)

Sauce:
Orange x 1
Lime x 1
Double shot dark rum (your choice)
Rasins 80g
120g brown sugar
Arrowroot tble spoon (you could use other thickeners)

Gammon:
1.Remove from wrapper and dry
2. Score skin of gammon in diamond shape
3. If desiring better crackling place in fridge for 2 days uncovered
4. Pre heat oven to 240 C
5. Coat gammon with treacle and sea salt, make sure salt is pressed into skin
6. Place in oven for 25 mins
7. After 25 mins turn down to 180 C and cook for 2 hours
8. Once cooked remove from oven and sit for 30 mins to rest in foil.

Sauce:

1. Zest and dice orange peel
  2. Zest lime
  3. Juice orange and lime
  4. Add everything except arrowroot to sauce pan on gentle heat
  5. Whisk in arrowroot until simmering.
  6. Once clear remove from heat
  7. Pour over gammon once sliced and served.

This should serve 6 people comfortably and 8 at a pinch. If you find a larger joint say 5kg simply double up the sauce (add rum to personal tastes). That should feed about 10. Veg etc also to needs of group.

I don’t cook as much as I used to so maybe someone else with people to cook for might use this.

3 Likes

So, this is kind of a weird one.

There was a stretch of my life where every year, my mom made a specific baked good for me every time the holiday season rolled around. And when I say “for me”, I basically mean that; I was really the only one who ate them, and I really, really liked them.

It’s a very sweet, chewy bar with a lot of brown sugar, some nuts (usually pecans), and frequently chopped dates. Unfortunately, they have the problematic name of Chinese Chews. So I’m actually swinging in to say: does anyone know a better name for this treat?

If not, shall we make a better name right now? :smiley:

Some intensive Googling suggests that: no-one knows why they’re referred to as Chinese Chews, but the best guesses are because it made them sound “exotic” back in the 1910s when they seem to have first appeared. Some tiny minority of people seem to call them “Chewies” or “Chewie bread”, which is at least slightly better, but won’t show up on a search, as the more problematic name is overwhelmingly more popular.

Yeah, I think I encountered some of that information back when I was first looking up recipes. I might opt for “Pecan Chews” or something of that ilk.

Also: wow, that picture I posted for these has a recipe book from the “Strathmore High School Mothers’ Club”. This cookie has some baggage!

Is that functionally a date bar? Or like, if you have guaranteed pecans and dates in it, a “pecan date bar” is a little on-the-nose, but it’s a functional and far less YIKES name.

Date bars are very, very different in both flavor and texture. I think calling them “Date Chews” could get it across though.

I made rum balls for the first time this year and they were delicious.

After my first batch, modified the standard recipe to have more rum - you couldn’t really taste it. Second batch was even better!

I reccomend Coconut flavored rum for these, Bacardis is good.
You just mix the ingredients up, roll into balls, then coat the balls with powdered sugar by rolling them on a tray w/sugar, no baking.

2 Likes

Please post photos! Stuffing is low-key my favorite holiday treat, even though I’m silly enough to be one of those who forget you can make it year-round … perhaps that’s part of why I like it, it’s special at this time of year.

This is not really a helpful recipe share (yet), but I’ve resolved to use some of my time off this holiday season to make a mincemeat pie. They’re my favorite, but no one in my extended family can stand them (perhaps because of the misleading name). This year, my partner got me a jar of fancy filling as a kind concession, but I’m also going to try to make it from scratch with one of these:

Wish me luck!

3 Likes

Anyone who have a recipe of a Strawberry Cheesecake? I want to make one for my husband on New Year since that marks our fourth anniversary.

If a raspberry lemon cheesecake would be an acceptable alternative, I highly recommend Ina Garten’s recipe https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/raspberry-cheesecake-recipe-1942041

2 Likes

Here’s on from Bon-Appetit. I’ve been making this for a few years with no complaints. Outside swapping out graham crackers depending on availability.

Did Rob ever post his chocolate bread recipe? :weary:

As far as I am aware he has not posted it.

As promised, a picture of the stuffing.

2 Likes

Asking again, as someone who doesn’t frequent the discord, did we ever get the Chocolate Bread Recipe ? Can’t see it on twitter