Holy Crap, Maybe We Completely Misjudged 'Fornite'?

Today on Waypoint Radio, Austin, Danika, Patrick and myself recounted our stories of weekend triumph and tragedy, fending off creatures in Hunt: Showdown, wrecking Anjanaths and dragons in Monster Hunter World, playing BioShock again and eagerly awaiting Prey DLC. We may have also missed Fortnite, somehow? There's also some solid reality show talk and a shred of good advice (we hope!) for new writers.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/ywqj4b/waypoint-radio-fortnite-hunt-showdown

I misjudged Fornite BR the first time I played it too. I bounced off it fairly quickly until I swung back around to it this February. Now I’m hooked.

One of the biggest appeals to me are the challenges even though they’re locked behind the battle pass. The challenges give me interesting objectives outside of “win the game” to aim for. A bunch of them are non-combat challenges too and those provide me with so much entertainment! Every time I tried to get into PUBG I felt like I was making no progress and nothing I did had a lasting impact because I didn’t win… which was the only in-game objective. Yes, you can set your own goals outside of the game but that’s different. Challenges in Fortnite BR constantly give me fun new ways to approach the game. I will always look at my challenges and pick one to work on before dropping into a game of Fortnite BR.

I would love to hear what you guys think about the challenges. They are easily the most engaging part of the experience that was completely missing from PUBG.

It’s so weird, after spending all this time Stanning for Fortnite, to see the gaming internet come around to it. It being free and on basically all big gaming platforms has made it the go-to social game with my friends who don’t necessarily have the budget to purchase a game just to play with each other. I mentioned this a while ago, but PUBG seemed specifically geared to the gaming press and people that closely follow them due to it being a Steam phenomenon. But for most players, who love their PS4s but wouldn’t touch a PC with a ten-foot pole, Fortnite met them where they actually are.

EDIT: YES DO THE WAYPOINT 101 ON CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND!!!

I’ve been playing since it was announced, and as based on the podcast - if you are afraid of the fast building - play on the console.

We play on PS4, but play with a few PC players and the skill difference is insane. The game is incredibly addicting, and if you ever want someone to play with - message me and I will add you on PS4 and bring some of the newbies on :smiley:

Just a quick note on the Monster Hunter discussion, because Brad from Giant Bomb had the exact same problem that Patrick has been having. Anjanath Fangs(+) drop specifically from when you break its head. So if you’re after them you gotta (in Patrick’s case) get those big KOs and then just Big Bang on its head until you get the notification. You can even quit the quest after breaking the head if that’s the only part you’re interested in.

Hope that’s helpful! The in-game listing is useful, but it isn’t always super clear about how it describes things.

If you look at the rewards page in-game, you can get it from head breaks, material drops (when shiny parts drop on the ground mid-fight), or carves (after killing it). But not from “rewards” - so you can’t get it in the random parts given to you post-quest. If you want to max your chance, put the plunderblade on your cat, target its head until it breaks, pick up any parts your cat has taken off, and then quit the quest.

Maybe I misjudged Fortnite too, but I had Danika’s experience where I got into the game, hated how it felt and looked, and quit playing shortly after.
If I had even remotely enjoyed horde mode style defence modes I would probably play the base game, but it hardly feels like it exists any more, echoing what Austin mentioned in how they started going all in on Battle Royale, even going as far as to subtitle the main game; it’s fair that games change and they found a lot of success, but it just feels so opportunistic.

“The two monsters right now are a spider - it’s like a big spider I guess?”

Well I’m not playin’ this game!

Right there with you, Patrick. I’m generally fine with games with creepy atmospheres, but when the giant spider comies in, I’m out. Thanks but no thanks.

Just don’t go near it and wait till the other team kills it then jack them.

You both sound like my partner… why does every co-op dungeon crawl have to have a part with swarms of spiders??

As a high school teacher, I can confirm that Fortnite is the game my kids are talking about right now

As a college kid who hangs out with other college aged kids:

YO EVERYONE IS PLAYING FORTNITE.

As someone who spent all of last night figuring out what mods I wanted to use for my next XCOM2 long war campaign I feel ya Austin. The real answer of course is you want that awesome mod that makes using silencers not always reveal you so you can dream of the day you do a full stealth mission.

On the topic of Fortnite I matched with someone the other day who’s opening line was asking if I streamed that game and then a few days later with someone who was looking for someone to play it with. So hot dating tip I guess is put that you play Fortnite in your bio.

I think this is totally on the money. I’ve been a PUBG skeptic for awhile, and felt especially weird when seeing it held up as the best thing to happen to games in 2017 during GOTY discussions here and elsewhere. Part of what made games in 2017 so great, for me, was stuff like Breath of the Wild, which got friends of mine back into games who’d quit or never been able to get into it. For me, the future of gaming isn’t about high graphical fidelity & inventory management, but unique and diverse new ways of play with something for everyone.

I love the Waypoint crew, but sometimes get frustrated when they talk about stuff like this because I feel they really don’t recognize the vast amounts of people who play games part-time, rather than as a hobby they sink countless hours into. Games like Monster Hunter or PUBG are great, but have high barriers to entry that prevent huge parts of the population from ever finding the time to get into them. Maybe I need to submit a question to the bucket about this, maybe not, but as I listened to this episode I knew I had to come here and post something.

I think that’s what is surprising about these games. They broke the barrier that previously you wouldn’t expect from games that are complicated. My cousin who’s only regular source of internet was his phone was talking to me about PUBG the last time I saw him.

To be honest the fact that a Zelda game is being played by people who normally don’t play video games isn’t really surprising. Nintendo in general has always had their first party titles have high adoption rates by the more casual gamer whether it’s on console or handheld.

I’m not dismissing their games but if you walked into a bar and did a poll of who knows what Mario or Zelda is the answer is going to be high. Where as 3 years ago if you would have told me one of the most popular games of the year is an arma light game that has lots of bugs, cheaters, and performance issues I would not have believed you.

I think Patrick is pretty much right about the balance of Fang drops being off, and not just for Anjanath. Late game weapons need lots of fangs (needing 5-10 isn’t unusual) and they have very low drop rates - most monsters require a head break and even then only have a 60-70% chance of being a reward. They’re also extremely rare body carves. I’ve made a lot of endgame weapons and the horns or fangs are constantly the limiting factor, moreso even than gems.

The Plunderblade gadget for Palicoes is really good for grabbing bonus fangs. Unfortunately not every monster has fangs in its bonus table, including Elder dragons.

So as for their Monster Hunter discussion and how they timed out on Kushala, I don’t think they’ve quite understood what went wrong. You can do that fight without flashbugs or flash pods at all, and with melee. I believe their main issue was Patrick’s DPS was very low, as he was mainly hitting the body/legs and letting Danika hit the head. Kushala(as with pretty much all the elder dragons) fewer weak-points, and the body either reflects attacks during it’s enrage, or drops the damage to a very minimal point. If they had positioned a little better, either both on head (without flinching eachother) or Danika at the tail and Patrick at the head; they would’ve rocked him in 20 minutes at most.

Anyways, their pitch on The Hunt:Showdown almost made me pull the trigger on that game during the podcast. It sounds real interesting, and like a really fun spin on not only the battle royale genre but also hunting games/L4D clones. And then Austin mentioned how shit it runs and I realized, another early access game I won’t be able to touch for years until I can finally get a computer that’s not 8 years old.

This touches on something I’ve been fascinated with for a while, which is that we live in a time where there is a market for games that aren’t necessarily fun to play by yourself or even with friends but rather are intended to be driven by a personality so they’re fun to watch.

That said I was discussing PUBG v. Fortnite with my group of friends all of whom have widely varying interests in gaming and none of whom really consume even remotely “traditional” gaming press (although the group probably includes more gaming PC owners than average) and none of them really enjoy Fortnite.

So I wouldn’t say that it’s necessarily a “gaming press” thing but I do completely agree that Fortnite being on PS4 has a lot to do with why it’s blown up, possibly even more than it being free.

I saw said spider in action today on a Giant Bomb stream and, hoo boy, that sure is a spider. It moves fast, even moreso than I would have expected. I wasn’t in on Hunt: Showdown anyway, but I’m definitely steering clear now.

I’d agree on MH, but I actually think PUBG has an incredibly low barrier to entry in much the same way that Fortnite does. In fact, I’d say PUBG’s is lower as there’s not even the crafting to worry about. The fact that the crafting is such a core part of Fortnite is what I’d have expected to put the general population off - but I think the reason it still works is that you can totally get by without it for long enough to get into the game, and then start to learn it once you have all the other basics down.

I would just like to mention that after around a year of listening to Waypoint how useful their insights into writing and the game industry have been. It’s so brilliant that a team of experienced writers are willing to share their knowledge. Sections like the one at the end of this podcast really help me keep going with writing (and help with the many brick walls). Just wanted to extend my thanks in some form, this podcast is great.

Cool accusation of a straw man when it’s not whatsoever what I was saying.

The reason I spend so much time on Waypoint (and get psyched every day my podcast app tells me there’s a new Waypoint Radio) is that I think the crew has really rad & unique perspective on games! Austin Walker is, hands down, my favorite writer about games, and rekindled my own interest in writing about games. I absolutely wasn’t saying the crew of Waypoint want the future of the games to be inaccessible, because that’d be a really dumb thing to say. Gaming is in a fascinating place right now, where spaces are being created that finally make me feel at home, despite the fact that I’ve played games since I was a little kid. I’m absolutely pumped about that, and was just noting a minor frustration.

I’m responding to this because I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but please don’t lecture or condescend to someone when they express frustration. It feels real crummy.