Horribly Generic One-word Subtitles

Try imagining a world where Snake Eater had been released as “Metal Gear Solid: Origins.” Or perhaps Sons of Liberty as “Revelations”. How would this affect the way we think of these games? Sure, everything about the actual game experience would be the same (mechanics, story, etc.) and these subtitles would be relevant to each game (Snake Eater is the earliest game in the series chronologically, and some crazy shit goes down in Sons of Liberty.) But I think that a small, yet important part of the game’s identity would be missing. Seen only in text, nothing about these subtitles make these games stand out from the rest.

So then, why do games keep getting these horribly generic one-word subtitles? Origins, Revelations, Chronicles, Revenge, Bloodlines, Awakening, Reckoning, the list goes on and on.

People are going to say it’s because of marketing/focus group testing, but if that’s the truth then I think these marketers are misguided. Because as much as Assassin’s Creed: Origins might relate to the beginnings of whatever larger narrative is going on in that series, I think most people, when they hear about a new Assassin’s Creed game, want to know where it takes place more than anything else. Under this logic, it seems like Assassin’s Creed: Egypt is the obvious choice. It tells the consumer everything they need to know.

I’d love to know other people’s thoughts on this. What are some other examples of horribly generic/over-used video game subtitles? Or alternatively, what are some of your favorite video game subtitles?

Reckoning is my absolute most hated one. Behind Apocalypse. Because what do you do for the sequel?

Post-Apocalypse?

older subtitles: The Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Shadow Dragon

newer subtitles: Awakening, Fates (Birthright, Conquest, Revelations), Echoes

…wow, yeah.

With these goofy subtitles, I get stressed out about whether there’s a colon, and where it goes. (Not a video game example, but an execrable pair of movie sequels: Star Trek Into Darkness and Star Trek Beyond.)

This is the opposite of what you’re asking for, but I think Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs might be my favourite subtitle - or even title - for anything ever. I haven’t played the game; I barely know anything about it. I started the first game and was too pathetically terrified to get more than five minutes into it. In a way I don’t really want to know any more about the sequel. I mean, I guess it’s kind of a silly sequence of words, but it’s so strange and evocative to me. And it has enough words to have deliberateness and rhythm. It’s not “Pig Machine”; that would be rubbish. But A Machine for Pigs? That’s a title that looms ominously over me. I love it.

So that’s my answer to the question you precisely did not ask.

What are everyone's favorite game titles?

Origins, Reckoning and Resurgence make my skin crawl. But without these awful subtitles, we would have never gotten the best subtitle of them all: Revengance

As somebody who’s most played game right now is called fucking PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS, I might not be the one to answer the question about tasteful nomenclature.

Revelations has to be up there along with Origins, Evolutions and Revolution,

I need to get behind Revengeance, the most metal subtitle of all time and now I’m off to listen to the Revengeance soundtrack yeah I’m not turning it down mum.

Revengence is either the best or the worst one-word subtitle. I can’t decide.

If you’d like I can offer help? It’s the best. Now let’s get BACK TO JACK

Revengance would be the worst if it were the subtitle for literally any other game

Armageddon as well, i.e. Red Faction: Armageddon.

Resurrection on the other hand, Super Rude Bear Resurrection is a great name and Resurrection is actually descriptive of the game’s core mechanic instead of just a generic tagline. The same goes for Plague Inc: Evolved. Most of the games I can find in my Steam library that have a subtitle actually have fairly descriptive ones (Wild Hunt, The Phantom Pain, New Vegas, Infinite, etc).

Let’s not forget that Kojima also gave us SUBSTANCE and then SUBSISTENCE which works kind of incredibly. Man is a genius. Also the Metal Gear Solid V thing still blows my mind.

be careful what you wish for

Hitman: Absolution still blows my mind.

Hitman is a good one too!

I do like Tearaway Unfolded as well!

Scribblenauts: UNLIMITED

except you are actually technically limited

I think Revelations is the one that strikes me as more onerous than most of the others. I don’t think Resident Evil Revelations or Assassin’s Creed Revelations were particularly revelatory, even though my copy of “Resident Evil: Revelaitons” is a prized possession.

Man, I just googled the typo. That’s crazy.