Horror movie recommendations

Okay, I had some time and watched The Ritual yesterday. It’s good! It has some interesting parallels to Descent (which I really liked). It’s tense and has some really good photography. Creature design/animation are good! Looks surprisingly high budget. It’s a sneaky good flick.

Surprised nobody’s mentioned Ghostwatch yet. It was a BBC drama special pretending to be an over-the-top investigatory TV show looking into a haunted house (but its really kind of about the gulf war if you can believe it). It’s legendary over here because of how the tabloids reacted to it the day after (extremely poorly) but it’s genuinely great. Special highlight includes Michael Parkinson nailing the role as an increasingly annoyed host.

Modern Horrors often feel very different than older horror titles. I guess the formula changed at some point. That said, there are a ton of great movies both new and old!

Newer Greats: Insidious 1 - 3, The Conjuring 1 & 2, Annabelle Creation, Crimson Peak, Saw, The VVitch, The Babadook, Don’t Breathe, Get Out, It, Split, Cabin in the Woods, The Mist

I love The Thing.

I love love love Ghostwatch. I haven’t seen it in years! I should watch it this Halloween.

Saw The Cloverfield Paradox. Not a horror movie but it tries so hard to be scary. I’m not sure if it’s even a movie. More a collection of ideas you’ve seen better executed in Alien, Event Horizon and erm… Pandorum… I guess. I’ll admit there is a cool idea you’ve seen a hundred times before involving parallel universes that kind of touches on these big existensial questions of the nature of good and bad happening across your life time, but getting there you have to go through several other haplessly lame ideas. This film needed a fire to break out in the script writer’s room.

I think it was written by one article (the guy who originally wrote The God Particle) but it feels as if many writers were involved, one wanted to do a bit about somebody exploding with worms (“ewwww!”), an other guy thought it would be cool to warp a lady into the machinery of a ship and have her spliced in with all the machinery and circuitry (“literally my worst nightmare!”). Another thought it would be funny to take away a guy’s arm but have him act completely normal to it (“Me arm!”). And to cap it all off… an appearance from the Cloverfield monster which was basically the film’s version of Porky Pig going “Shit, I don’t know. That’s all folks”. I was just left stunned how average it all was. Did somebody actually lift the lid of JJ Abrams mystery box? Is this what was in it the whole time? Turns out somebody played Half-Life back in the day and nicked the Resonance Cascade Scenario as something you could hang your vague shared universe upon.

Absolute rubbish, such a shame in so many ways.

1. Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane were generally good movies, the latter was great even.
  2. Digital distribution means you can literally surprise release a movie out into the wild without a 6 month marketing campaign and 6 months of hype.
  3. There’s some really good actors involved throughout the film.
  4. This movie was originally a script called the God Particle. The fact that it was brought under the Cloverfield umbrella made me a little sad that his is the fate of original stories today.

God damn it.

Can’t help but agree that TCP was frustrating to watch because it never felt like it knew what it was. Here’s hoping the criticism it’s receiving will lead to some better curation the next time they decide to make a movie in this franchise. (And, oh, please don’t try to somehow retcon TCP into making sense, thanks)