Horror movie recommendations

It’s just as awesome as when it happened with The Witch, or with Get Out, or with The Babadook, or with whatever other previous horror movies a certain segment of critics wanted to talk about as “Great Films” instead of “Genre Trash.”

It’s like Film Discourse has the collective memory of a goldfish and can’t wait to rehash the same tired arguments/qualifications every time a good horror movie comes out, instead of just recognizing that valid creative work can come out of any genre.

If there is some consolation to that pretentiousness (a word I do not use lightly), it’s the feeling of knowing we’re living in the best era for horror since the 70s.

This is something I have to agree with. So much great horror has come out of the past 5 or so years that I like to think we’re entering an amazing new era for the genre.

By the way I literally finished Get Out 10 minutes ago and holy fucking shit.

(Originally talked about Blackcoat’s Daughter before remembering I already had. WHOOPS.)

I was recommended the super-Canadian Black Mountain Side, which you can rent on YouTube. If you like Carpenter’s The Thing you’ll likely be on board, as this similarly focuses on a small band of researchers at a remote outpost (subarctic rather than Antarctic) who uncover something ancient and unwittingly unleash a kind of pathogen on themselves. But where The Thing gets delightfully over-the-top at times, in the gross but goofy way only Carpenter can, the director and cinematographer show so much restraint, deliberately underselling a lot of the tension or misdirecting it so that you’re caught off guard. It’s like they made a movie for horror nerds who are super aware of all the techniques used to build suspense and deliberately subverted them.

I watched The Void today despite middling impressions.

Unfortunately it ended up being exactly that. It’s about an hour of mediocre followed up with about a half hour of slightly above average. The only thing it has going for it is the practical effects and it doesn’t do much with it.

I saw It Comes At Night this week. Really creepy. Though if I’m honest, it’s less of a horror movie and more a movie about horror.

The Haunting is just amazing !!! I have seen it…

I watched the anthology XX on Netflix last night. It was pretty fun! There’s some genuine scares in there and, as far as I could tell, only one or two real jumpscares in its entirety. It was way funnier than I thought it was going to be, which was a nice treat. In fact there’s a short I wouldn’t even call horror, more black comedy. It involves a woman trying to hide a body in her house right before a party. It avoids a lot of problems prevalent in the horror anthology subgenre like shorts outstaying their welcome (VHS) or being so unfocused that the tone just comes out wrong (ABCs of Death), so cheers for that. I should also point out XX is four horror shorts about women by women. Luckily, this movie doesn’t let its premise get in the way of telling decent stories, unlike other anthologies (again VHS and ABCs of Death are guilty).

XX is well worth the time of anyone who enjoys short-form horror. It doesn’t quite reach the pinnacle of the subgenre, but it does not commit its gravest sins either. I will definitely be watching it again come Halloween time.

I’m not really a horror aficionado (I’m more of a “eyes-behind-hands” kinda person), but I just adored It Follows. Definitely one of the most memorable films I saw in that year and the one that has stuck with me the most. The last act could definitely be better (the pool scene is… pretty bad, as I recall), but the film, overall, hangs together, works, and invites some fascinating discussion.

I’m sad that I missed It Comes At Night, although that almost sounded too intense for me.

Just got back from a screening of THE MONSTER SQUAD with Andre Gower (Sean), Ryan Lambert (Rudy), and Ashley Bank (Phoebe) there for a Q&A hosted by one of Shudder’s curator (I actually have a legit short term memory thing where I forget people’s names easily if other stuff is going on and Google failed me sorry :frowning: ) and they were totally awesome.

Fun things learned:

Because of how little time children are legally allowed to be on set, they never met Tom Noonan, they only met fully in character Frankenstein’s Monster. Andre Gower mentioned his immediate regret at renting Manhunter years later because he saw Tom Noonan’s face to be “even worse.” :smiley:

Duncan Regehr (Dracula) was terrifying to all of the kids even when he was just showing up to get into makeup/whatever.

A lot of creative editing was done to have violent language/stuff happening “to” the kids (especially Phoebe). The movie isn’t the way it is just because “kids could do this in the movies in the 80s” or whatever they had to really work for the effect. And it’s really cool how some of that can stand out when you know it but the pacing and editing of the movie is so good that it never hurts it. It’s just awesome and fun from start to finish.

Andre Gower originally read/auditioned to play Rudy, and he got the lead kid role instead but at the time was really sad he didn’t get to be the cool kid.

They’re making a documentary about Monster Squad/its fandom and so were filming a bit during the Q&A. Which is good since there was a family that loved the movie so much they all were wearing t-shirts they had made of its poster a long time ago.

Also I feel blessed that I’ve watched this movie a lot since I first saw it as a kid, but I watch it JUST so little that I always forget how they use a black string to pull the Mummy’s skull across the road and it just sits there fully visible on screen and really stands out. But it’s amazing and adds to the expert tonal shifts. It completely cracks me up every time.

One of my other (many) favorite things about the movie is its expert use of Chekhov’s literary device where if you talk about the Wolfman getting kicked in the nards and then falling out of a window onto a bomb in the first act, then you better have the Wolfman get kicked in the nards and then fall out of a window onto a bomb in the third act.

Another best thing about the movie is everyone’s extensively cartoony use of dynamite.

The Monster Squad is so awesome, everyone should see it even if they’re not into horror movies. I was so happy that we were able to get a couple of friends to come with us to this who had never seen it before and they loved it.

!!! The film DEATH SPA is currently free to watch for folks with Amazon Prime.

This is a great great great great campy movie and is extremely fun. It’s about a man who runs a super high tech fitness center/gym with his best friend. But weird things happen…is the gym haunted by the vengeful ghost of his dead wife? Is the computer system being sabotaged by his friend? Are is corrupt business partners pulling pranks to make the place cheap enough that they can buy him out? Is our main guy a philandering piece of shit who deserves retribution or was stuff in his past just a misunderstanding? As the bodies pile up the movie does a great job giving equal credence to every possibility until the completely nuts final act, it’s awesome and extremely fun. :smiley:

I want to mention, content-wise, there’s a surreal flashback at one point to a character committing suicide, but everything is so overwroughtly acted with such cheap effects that, even being someone that’s effected it all comes off as pretty silly.

Like if you ever saw “Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace,” this is one of the movies they definitely had in mind when writing the episodes of that.

I watched Tag on Netflix today and I am thoroughly freaked out. What started out as a laugh about cheap, gross out Japanese horror turned into some shit with crazy twists and ended up being a meta-narrative look at female objectification in Japanese media?

You should watch it. Please. I need to know I’m not going crazy.

I saw It Comes At Night for the hot minute it was out at cinemas week. It wasn’t what I was expecting, it certainly was very intense throughout, but it’s more a film about horror rather than being an actual horror film.

Okay. I haven’t seen Neon Demon. But I have another Refn pick. It’s not a horror film, but it left me with the same gut-punch emptiness that a lot of my favorite horror films do.

Pusher III: I’m the angel of death.

For those unfamiliar, the Pusher films are Danish crime films earlier in Nicholas Winding Refn’s career (and I contend still his best work).

These films are effective because they really convey the human element to the criminal element on display quite well. And that makes it all the more disturbing when you get to the end of the third film. That final shot, after what had just occurred. Damn.

Again. Not a horror film in the traditional sense, but I found it extremely effective.

nope, you aren’t going crazy, Tag is pretty much exactly how you described it. I’m reasonably sure the violence and gore is so casually (and abruptly) applied on purpose, makes everyhthing all the more dreamlike and video-gamey.

For sure. I don’t even know if I can call it good but it sure as shit has stuck with me 24 hours later.

With the on-coming creeping dread that is Shocktober, I hope Patrick has some big things planned. I really do miss the podcast.

My favorite recent horror movies are:

It Follows
The Void
The VVitch

And I am super looking forward to IT with all the good reviews and word-of-mouth it’s been getting.
Also, I’m gonna check out some of the movies that have been recommended here like The Wailing, They Look Like People and The Blackcoat’s Daughter.

I saw the It remake over the weekend and I loved it. It had a couple of clumsily-plotted “horror movie logic” moments where the characters were splitting up for no discernible good reason, but overall I thought it was a really solid childhood coming-of-age story with some excellent, nightmarish imagery in the scares and Pennywise scenes. I am very tempted to go back and see it again.

Has anyone else here seen it yet? What’d you think?

CRTL+F “Nocturnal Animals”

no results

Shame on all of you.
But I saw Refn being mentioned in the thread so all is forgiven.

You all should stop everything you’re doing and watch it.
If you have watched it already, watch it again.

Not horror in the traditional sense, more of a psychological thriller.
Still bleak and uncomfortable, violent and gross, without being explicit. It sticks with you.

It was mentioned already in this thread, but Green Room is one of the best horror movies I’ve seen in years. Tense as hell and horribly violent. Who knew Patrick Stewart could be so menacing?