Horror movie recommendations

I did not like It (2017). I found the movie to be a bit soulless and the scares lacking any real tension behind them. In my opinion the most tense parts of the movie are the real-life horrors inflicted by the bullies and Beverly’s father. Everything just kinda happens because it has to and then the movie’s over. The visuals are quite good and the acting is solid, but the tone varies so wildly and I could feel the movie getting bored with itself by the end. It (2017) feels like an adult coloring book. Someone else drew the lines, but the director scribbled them in with fresh Prismacolors.

Since this is a recommendations thread, I recommend the 1990 miniseries It, starring Tim Curry.

That is the only mockumentary I’ve seen where if you hadn’t told me it was fiction ahead of time I might have thought it was real. The actors are so naturalistic, refusing to emote even when talking about the death of a loved one, and its structure avoids most of the tropes that pull you out of found footage/mockumentary horror.

Perhaps because it stays so grounded, the twists and turns are more impactful. The initial ghost photographs are creepy enough, but then oh shit the brother faked them, then oh shit he’s on a road trip why is the ghost showing up on the live camera footage, then oh god the neighbour was in some of the hoaxed footage and he’d been sleeping with the daughter, then oh shit the daughter had been seeing the psychic before her death, then OH SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT… ending with oh shit her ghost was in the hoaxed footage and pictures all along.

If you’re reading those spoilers without seeing the movie (please don’t do that), it sounds like an unbelievable roller coaster of endless twists, but it isn’t, because the interview/news footage combo feels so goddamn real.

Also, going by a Twitter search of “Lake Mungo” and this Reddit thread, That Scene universally fucks people up. What a dang movie.

I watched Creep recently. It’s a small-scale faux documentary shot by a dude who’s been hired by a gregarious guy on Craigslist (played by Mark Duplass) to film a video. It gets increasingly weird and uncomfortable, and I’ll just leave it at that. It’s easily one of the best faux documentaries I’ve ever seen. The only real critique I have is that the top half of the last third drags a bit, but the movie is under 90 minutes long so we’re probably talking about like 8 to 10 minutes of the movie.

I watched Gerald’s Game last night. It’s a Stephen King adaptation (does that make 3 this year?) directed and co-written by Mike Flanagan, the guy behind Oculus, Hush, and Ouija: Origin of Evil. I haven’t read the book in ages, but it’s incredibly faithful from what I can recall. For those who don’t know, the movie is about a woman whose husband dies while she is handcuffed to a bed. Realizing that she won’t be rescued any time soon, she begins talking to the voices in her head. Carla Gugino crushes it as the main character Jess and Bruce Greenwood’s performance as the titular Gerald is perfectly, subtly hateable. The movie spends most of its time in one room, but manages to captivate all the same. It’s on Netflix so definitely give it a shot if you don’t have a problem with a sexual abuse subplot, some really stunning practical gore, and a small bit of intense body horror (It’s a scene involving degloving).

@Link I didn’t read the spoilers because I plan to watch it, but that spoiler section is incredibly funny. Thank you for that.

Ohhhh Gerald’s Game is one of the best King adaptations I’ve seen. I know you weren’t big on the It remake but I’m jazzed that—to me—two excellent King adaptations have come out in such quick succession.

Gugino and Greenwood deserve their props, but so does Carel Struycken (Mr. Homn in TNG, Lurch in the Addams Family movies, the Giant in Twin Peaks) as the Space Cowboy. Also, Elliott from E.T. is Jessie’s dad. :\

Of course you’re right. The cast is so small I really should have included him. He’s absolutely amazing in this movie. I definitely didn’t recognize Henry Thomas, but that’s amazing.

It’s October, and Patrick has a new Til Death do us part podcast up!
I agree with the consensus on Gerald’s Game, as King adaptations go, it’s definitely one of the good ones.
Trying Shocktober but not going crazy about it I’m sure there will be skipped days.
Boys in the Trees is a good coming of age movie with supernatural stuff in it but definitely not a horror movie. Worth watching tho.
American Horror Story: Roanoke was actually good! For perspective on my tastes , i liked the first and second season, third and fourth season were ok, and didnt like the fifth at all. This show is always a mixed bag, but I liked the direction they went with Roanoke.

YES, Creep is grrreat! Duplass plays his character so well, he’s such an endearing goofball, and then you get one of the most jarring but still believably human tonal shifts ever :peach: .

If you haven’t heard, the sequel is coming out the 24th. Looks like there might be some meaty meta-commentary about found footage, going by the trailer. Really hope they managed to pull off something beyond “wait, why am I still filming?” I have confidence, but I guess we’ll see!

Oh man, I love The Mothman Prophecies if you can find it. A reporter and his wife get in a car crash. They seem to come out fairly intact, but the wife claims that she saw… something… as they crashed, and now knows that there’s something wrong with her- and sure enough, further tests reveal that she’s sick. Later her husband starts to investigate similar sightings of this something she supposedly saw in a small town in the middle of West Virginia.

It’s eerie and effective using what could be incredibly hokey material, with a strong and unsettling soundtrack. It’s based on a supposedly ‘non-fiction’ account of a man who investigated the original Mothman sightings in… the 60s I think? The book is full of UFOs and MIBs and all sorts of nonsense so this movie could have easily sucked, but the movie picked the most unsettling part of the mythology- a creature that seems to appear before bad things happen- and really worked it fantastically.

Honestly, maybe I just saw this at the right age to really be impressed by it at first? But I love this movie to bits still and watch it regularly.

I had absolutely NOT heard there would be a sequel, let alone that it’s coming out in two weeks!! How great is that! I’ll keep not reading about it and go in totally blind. I have full confidence in that team. Thanks so much for telling me about this!

I figured I’d post this here, I’m watching 31 horror movies since October and we have 31 days to disconnect from as much of reality a possible. This year I’m using a list from www.graveyardshiftsisters.com with the theme being 31 horror movies with black women in featured/prominent roles. I’ve been keeping up so far and making a quick blog post with some thoughts on each that I have up here if people want some recommendations. I can say confidently that every movie on here, I mean tastes vary of course but every movie on here is worth at least checking out even if you end up not interested in actually seeing it:

I’m also doing the 31 horror movies for October thing, and while I don’t have a set list worked out or anything, I am a little ahead of schedule, having watched 9 so far this month. Here’s what I’ve watched so far:

• Rewatched Canyman on an old 35mm print in theaters
  • They Look Like People
  • The Devil’s Business
  • Flatliners (1990)
  • Rewatched The Blackcoat’s Daughter
  • Bone Tomahawk
  • The Love Witch
  • Be Afraid (it was awful, don’t waste your time)
  • Session 9

I was pleasantly surprised by Session 9, a weird little psychological horror movie from 2001. It’s about an asbestos abatement crew doing a job at the old Danvers State Hospital asylum in Massachusetts, and it digs into a lot of the anxieties and insecurities of these working-class guys in a really interesting way.

(Also, I’d just like to echo the sentiment that Creep is excellent and I’m really looking forward to the sequel.)

here’s what i’ve watched so far
Cult of Chucky (netflix) had low expectations but this was still terrible.
The Blair Witch Project (hbo now) and The Curse of the Blair Witch(youtube) (the docu short that aired in the sci fi channel before the movie came out in 99), still holds up, creepy and unsettling. even though you know it’s fake theres still an air of authenticity.
Blair Witch (amazon prime) started out kind of interesting but couldn’t finish it, what a mess. Was better than Blair Witch 2 Book of Shadows but that’s not saying much.
The Blackcoats Daughter(amazon prime) Not bad. It’s a beautifully shot film that keeps you guessing about the whole story until the very end
Raw (netflix) This one Iiked, the whole thing is just so bizarre and off putting. Also,another beutifully shot horror movie. Are French veterinary schools really so much into the intense hazing? And balls to the wall partying? I was also had the feeling that the plot was going to be like Teen Wolf, and you know what it is, just a lil bit.

My wife and I started watching horror movies in September (we just couldn’t wait). But here are a few we’ve liked.

• Creep. Other people have recommended this already, so no more needs written.
  • It Follows. Holy SHIT we weren’t expecting to like this as much as we did. It has a soundtrack by the person who scored Fez. It’s very creepy without having jump scares. Highly recommended.
  • The Blair Witch Project. Never seen it before. It’s still kind of creepy even if you know it’s not real.
  • The Conjuring. For a family possession movie, ala Insidious, it’s pretty good. We also watched the sequel which looks a lot more budget and isn’t as scary.
  • Child’s Play. We both thought we’d seen this but we’d only seen the sequels. We both enjoyed it, though. It doesn’t take itself 100% seriously, but it also isn’t a comedy. I liked the balance. Plus, anything with children is inherently scarier, imo.
  • Lights Out. Such a silly concept, but it quickly establishes the rules and the characters learn how to follow them. Didn’t like the ending, but we both got nervous any time the lights went out.

Here are some we watched that we didn’t particularly like:

• I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House. It was visually interesting, sure, but ultimately kind of bored us.
  • The Blackcoat’s Daughter. We liked this more than Pretty Thing, but the only scary part is the silhouette (I’ll leave it at that).
  • Last Shift. It’s about a police officer guarding a haunted police station by herself. My main problem with this is that it doesn’t really establish any rules, so I don’t know the stakes. Also, the police station is going to be closed down, so it doesn’t have any prisoners. Why does it need someone to guard it anyway?
  • Don’t Breathe. A lot of people liked this, but it was hard for my wife and me because the villain isn’t “villainous” until half-way through the movie. Up until that point, he’s just defending his home. It made it hard to root for the protagonists because they weren’t particularly likable to begin with.
  • Split. If I’m going to be honest, we enjoyed watching this more than we should have. It’s extremely insulting to both mental illness professionals and people suffering from mental illness. Also, the ending reveal made me angry.

We’ve watched others, but I can’t remember most of them. Anyways, I’ll add more since this seems the place to do it.

I loved The Blackcoat’s Daughter. I know I’ve seen this movie mentioned many times, but I want to address the notion that it has scary ‘parts’. I, personally, found the entire movie’s tone deeply unsettling. It felt like someone had their hand on a knob which controls anxiety, and held it at 4 or 5 from the start, wavering uneasily into the 6s and 7s from time to time, only to slowly, evenly crank it up as certain scenes approached. When those scenes came (the first furnace scene sticks with me), the knob stayed at 8 or 9 a beat longer than it needed to, and wound down as slowly as it rose. The movie’s tone is effective largely because of its excellent soundtrack. I’m not writing this to ‘correct’ others, but to those who haven’t yet seen the movie: The Blackcoat’s Daughter is more a horror mood piece than a horror-thriller. If that appeals to you, it’s one of my favorites in the genre. If not, you’ll probably fall asleep like my partner did.

Also worth mentioning, since some are hot on Gerald’s Game (I was not so hot on it, though I did think it was well-made and well-acted, and has one of the roughest scenes to endure in recent memory), is Ouija: Origin of Evil. I fucking LOVE that movie. It takes James Wan’s admiration and emulation of 60’s/70’s/early 80’s familial horror, and blends it with modern editing and writing sensibilities, specifically around abruptly shifting tone. It has an incredible (and necessary) sense of humor, a superb attention to detail, swift manipulation of tension, and extremely effective imagery. I, personally, think it blows other recent mainstream period horror movies out of the water. Like almost any horror movie, the climax leaves something to be desired, but the ride is fantastic. And it’s by the director of Gerald’s Game!

After my first son was born, my partner and I have largely lost our nerve for horror movies, but we do make exceptions every once in a while. My favorites to recommend are:

1408 - John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson are great in this movie, which is creepy and scary without being gory or gross, and the comedic moments are great.

Insidious - Really neat plot that hadn’t been explored much before, and again, genuinely unnerving without any real gore

Sinister - I find myself lacking the vocabulary to describe what this movie did so well, but the depictions of the murders were so effectively disturbing. My partner and I nearly walked out of the theater because we found ourselves actually horrified.

Checked out Creep a little earlier today and I really enjoyed it. Takes a very simple concept and manages to keep it simple while still making you feel quite uncomfortable and unsettled throughout.

For my personal recommendation, I’m going to go with The Cabin in the Woods. It’s not like the greatest horror movie ever made by any means (the ending feels kinda lazy to me, and the big reveal of why everything is happening is sort of…out there), but I still really like it. I love the style of the movie and how it plays with (and critiques?) common horror tropes while also throwing in a considerable amount of comedy.

I did not care for Lights Out, but I LOVE the 2013 short that it was based on. You should check it out if you haven’t seen it before, it’s under 3 minutes and, in my opinion, much stronger than the feature-length thing they turned it into.

I liked it, but I liked the feature film more. I’m not saying it’s great, but I liked the family dynamics that were happening, too. I’ve always been creeped out by supernatural forces that attack families and risk tearing them apart. And as I’ve gotten older, I’m noticing that I tend to empathize with horror stories involving families a lot more than ones that don’t (hence why I really liked Insidious, The Conjuring, etc.)

Thanks, though! I had no idea this was based off a short.

latest i’ve watched:
The Babysitter (netflix) : comedy /slasher , pre teen is chased around by killer teenagers, not bad.
Mindhunter (netflix) : Netflix produced show about the birth of profiling serial killers in the FBI. Was sceptical at first cause there are so many shows in this genre but it’s very well made and creepy. Almost no gore or violence, but gets under your skin.
Yoga Hosers (netflix) : This and Tusk are my favorite Kevin Smith movies! I just love these goofy ass horror movies he’s decided to make, baffling and wonderful. side note i have yet to meet someone else who’s liked these movies.
IT (theater): Was a surprise to watch this painstakingly fleshed out version of this story and I think I liked it. Draws you in to this weird pre adult universe like a lot of Kings books tend to do so well, where monster logic makes sense and adults are creeps or sad useless turds.
Voices (netflix) : comedy/horror , not as much comedy as surreal? at least for me. the talking cat and dog hit some funny notes.