How a 'Mortal Kombat' Fanboy Ended Up Writing the New Movie's Script

In a few days, a new Mortal Kombat movie arrives. It's hard to process, but the original and still-enjoyably goofy Mortal Kombat movie came out in 1995, more than 25 years ago. The bloody fighting series has seen its own fair share of ups and downs over the decades, but recent entries have ushered in a welcomed new era of Mortal Kombat.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/93y5we/how-a-mortal-kombat-fanboy-ended-up-writing-the-new-movies-script

I don’t know that I necessarily need MK to be “good” as much as “good enough,” and hopefully it achieves that.

2 Likes

Agreed. But seeing this guy’s passion for writing the script makes me think that we’re in for something entertaining.

The martial arts and MK lore liker has logged on.

It won’t take much to make this a good movie, and way way more to screw it up, IMO.

They put together a cast of people who by and large are actual martial artists, which is always an important step.

They cast Joe Taslim, the force of nature in The Night Comes for Us, as Sub-Zero. That’s such a good move that I’m convinced this movie is going to slap.

1 Like

I watched the first seven minutes of the movie released on YouTube. It’s a little bit self-serious but Joe Taslim is a most excellent scenery-chewing sociopath as Bi-Han.

If you like his performance I’d highly recommend The Night Comes For Us. It’s the most dementedly awesome martial arts splatter-fest with a video game’s enthusiasm of excessively comic violence and Taslim anchors the whole thing. He and Julie Estelle should be in every action movie.

Sold! Fifteen characters.

I checked out the preview and I’m starting to think that we already got the perfect MK movie in the all cutscenes supercut of MK 9 through 11. The Scorpion/Sub-Zero rivalry was done so much better there than this literal fridging.

Or, I guess one can actually play the games if they’re weirdo.

1 Like

Yeah, I feel like it’s extremely difficult to nail the right tone for MK without just being NetherRealm.

1 Like

Alright so… I watched it. No spoilers, just some thoughts:

I feel like the problem with mortal kombat as a movie, all of the movies, is that they really want to incorporate the MK lore, when what they should be doing is handing a blank check and blank stack of papers with the words “Mortal Kombat” on the cover to the Iko Uwais fight team. These movies need to be centered on the fights and have the plot come second. As much as I like some of the fights in the tail end of this thing… they tried to present us with lore again. As stated in a previous post, I like the Mortal Kombat lore, but lore isn’t a story.

Edit: Also the web series from several years back did the Hanzo family/scorpion origin better. It had more weight. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

The Cyborg fight in that Legacy show unreservedly slapped. Web series or not, they did a good job with the material and the budget was honestly kind of appropriate for MK as a series.

Honestly, the next movie in this series needs to be made by Timo Tjahanto, Iko, and Taslim. If you just take their collective works and the superimpose MK lore over the top of them, you’ve got a fantastic MK movie.

1 Like

Is “The Night Comes For Us” a horror movie? Because Joe Taslim has strong horror movie villain chops.

The man is terrifying and also the most beautiful person in movies. TNCFU is a combination of Dead Alive and The Raid and Taslim’s character was explicitly based on Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs because the director loved the character’s mix of being a regular guy while also being an impossibly vicious terminator. He would own a slasher movie.

Just caught MK. It has its moments and some of the casting choices are spot-on but it did not seem to love the sort of splatter-comedy that characterises MK at its best. I looked up the director and the only thing I recognised was that he did the Halo 3 live-action Museum commercials and it makes a lot of sense in hindsight. Still, Jax does the thing that Jax does and Kano represented my Australian countrymen accurately, so that’s pretty good.

He has really strong Toshiro Mifune vibes.

Finished the movie. I feel like it could use a little more “Cyber Lin Kuei Factory” energy, but as a first outing in what is almost certainly going to be a franchise, they did well.