How Are You Fighting The Capitalist World Order, Comrades?

13458429974_2fba7656de

1 Like

Is The Clash still considered sufficiently revolutionary?

1 Like

It’s a playlist on Spotify, so the whole premise is already deeply ironic, so sure

Which Clash songs should I pick though?

2 Likes

A big hell yeah @ Lost in the Flood, the best Springsteen song. Not that you need more of his stuff on that playlist, but the live version of Youngstown would be a good addition.

Also yeah not sure if this is sufficiently revolutionary (considering I’m probably not sufficiently revolutionary myself), but I’ve found a lot of Rise Against tracks to be pretty cathartic lately. Some particular songs — Black Masks & Gasoline, The Eco-Terrorist in Me, and Architects are real good. But the entirety of their discography is heavy on those themes, so you could just put a bunch of them on a dartboard and probably find something fitting.

1 Like

Well I was thinking that “Police On My Back” is either perfect for the moment or that the title is cringe inducingly specifically evocative in the context.

So, I’unno. “Clampdown”? Almost definitely Clampdown. You were asking for rap so, Radio Clash?

Man, going on a Clash relisten, it’s going to be really ironic when Ubisoft includes their requisite Clash song in the London Watch_Dogs game as they softball revolution by saying “the cops can come too.”

Ok, now that we got that caveat out of the way, Spotify’s Black Lives Matter playlist has been on constant rotation in my car and I highly recommend it. For more specific hip hop picks, the latest Run the Jewels album, RTJ4, has a definite of-the-moment energy to it.

2 Likes

Also, “Long Black Veil.” Not saying you should swap but where do we stand?

• Johnny Cash Version
  • Mick Jagger Version

0 voters

other version

Cash is singing it to prisoners, which pushes it over for me

I guess.

… And Conor McGregor did kind of ruin that Chieftains album.

I’ve started learning C++, which will be the small domino that scales up to the revolution… somehow.

I don’t listen to a lot of music that isn’t metal or punk, but some hip hop picks I know of: The Coup, dead prez, Bambu. Talib Kweli has a song that samples “Which Side Are You On?”, so that’s cool. Rebel Diaz, also. And I guess Rage Against the Machine is rap rock or whatever that genre’s called.

1 Like

Oooooh, I’d love some anti-capitalist METAL. Like, if Electric Wizard did a Phil Ochs cover album!

billy woods’ album History Will Absolve Me might check some boxes for you if not solely for the name?
Ramshackle Glory is some good incredibly angsty folk-punk, especially the song “From Here to Utopia”.
The general question posed in the topic subject is something I struggle with. I’ve been having my students read/learn about BLM and the history of racism in the USA/Japan but that can only go so far and depends on student enthusiasm. I want to be doing something more directly involved with the struggle but feel a lil lost.

1 Like

Had it in my head Ubisoft would use Guns of Brixton for some reason

Music about anger, injustice and survival.

CW: Abuse, sexual assault

1 Like

I’ve been listening to a lot of old folk singers lately because ::waves hands generally all around:: things.

My two suggestions:

And

3 Likes

Ah yes, fellow revolutionary, how are you enjoying your Mountain Blast flavored Powerade™?

1 Like

Saparast is stellar, absolutely adore their sound. Panopticon’s Kentucky is a great album, alternating between metal and bluegrass, that also has Which Side Are You On? on it because leftists can’t help but cover that classic (and it rocks). Feminazgûl, Dawn Ray’d… I’m definitely forgetting some big ones, but those are some faves, anyway.

(And Summoning, but most of their music is just cool Tolkien stuff. I just like having a cool Tolkien metal band who I know are anti-fascist, because… the metal scene sucks.)

1 Like

My Cleric in my weekly ttrpg has gained the long term goal of starting a proletariat uprising in the city the game takes place in.

3 Likes

I highly recommend The Coup, which is Boots Riley’s group. Personally I’m a big fan of Hey Saturday Night and Anitra’s Basement Tapes from the Sorry to Bother You soundtrack and of course, the appropriately named The Guillotine.

2 Likes

There’s a great anti fascist black metal band from England called dawn ray’d. Can very much recommend

1 Like