How do you feel about custom keybinds?

I tried converting from WASD to ESDF for a bit with Team Fortress, but it never stuck and I found it much harder to locate by feel, in the end finding remaps for basically every game wasn’t worth the hassle. nowadays I only really remap minor stuff like I customized the sprays and voicelines stuff in Overwatch, and I’ll move some stuff over to my mouse.

I don’t get it myself but I’m sure you’re used to it by touch at this point.

Personally I can always feel RDFG because the F is magical so WASD feels really weird if I ever need to move off it and feel my way back. But I guess you can feel your way over the F and then know you’re in the right place.

a lot of it was probably that I had already built up the WASD muscle memory for most of my TF2 career and I still used it for other games like weren’t FPS or web stuff that you couldn’t remap anyway. also I have worn my S key down to a mirror finish so it is very familiar.

Alright, now that it isn’t like 3AM and I’m not at work, I gotta say that it’s pretty gratifying that I’m not alone in having some pretty specific keybinds. It’s especially nice to see all these non-standard movement keys too!

Putting melee on a mouse button would probably make me use it a lot more tbh. I almost never bother with it even when I should. Alas, it’s too late for me. :c

So I played some of the PC version of Fallout 4 during the free weekend on Steam and 18 months & nine major patches after that game went gold, I’d still say the official rebinding interface is not a shippable feature. A very important lesson for anyone who does a bit of game development on the side because it points to core issues you can completely avoid by designing your system properly to reference into a map (key value pairs, often with metadata) which hold all the information about how the user wishes to manage their controls. Also don’t just forget to put things in the rebind menu - double check your internal map or make the interface automatically build the rebinding menu out of that raw data so it has to always be in sync.

I find myself regularly customizing keybinds in games, there’s just a lot of games that map controls on… weird keys. Most recently with PU:Battlegrounds, the default keys on that game does not work for me; to free up some keys and to make movement keys less clunky, I found it made much more sense to have interact on middle-mouse, free-look on thumb-button 2 and fire-mode change on thumb-button 1.
I wish more games let you fully customize console controls as well, I was pleased that Dead Cells let you, as I actually found a souls-like control scheme to fit the game better, and allow you better control over combat. [i.e. LB / RB for attack 1 / 2, roll on B, heal on Y, interact on X and jump on A, souls…ish]
For as much design intelligence that goes into games it’s sometimes strange that controls aren’t mapped better, though I suppose it’s a very subjective thing.

+1 on PUBG remaps. Having crouch and prone on C and Z is genuinely unplayable to me, not just in terms of muscle memory, but because they’re so crucial that easy access is important. Also, interact on F? Great for dying. Unlock camera rotation on alt? Yeah ima need that on mouse 5.

PLUNKBAT videos are my new addiction, particularly Awful Squad, Break&Bat, and Beaglerush’s group clips. I started watching them at a friend’s house, and while I was watching, I was already talking about how I’d remap the keys on it, which absolutely horrified them after their knowledge of what I’ve done to HotS. Like even a brief look at that game allowed me to see how untenable the keybinds were.

Honestly if your game doesn’t have customable binds, you’re being ableist af.

I’m really glad more games are taking this seriously. Considering we have console certification processes MS, Ninty, and Sony (not to mention Apple who also have strict requirements for listing on their store and are a major game distributor now) could do way more than they currently do (with optional advice) and force developers to consider a11y as a core requirement for publication. The OS-layer rebinding (as seen on PS4) is good but also means you’ve got to rebind globally.

What I really want to see from every game is understanding of the requirements - for example the latest Uncharted and having modes for holding down buttons rather than requiring repetitive presses because some people can’t do that. It’s not rocket science but it’s a list of things every dev should go through and ensure they’ve got options for so that as many people as possible can enjoy games without being excluded simply because of a convention (from before there was enough a11y awareness or charities pushing common best practice standards) or lack of a toggle in a menu somewhere.

“Well it works for me” simply isn’t good enough from a huge, many billion dollar entertainment industry.