How I Learned About My Terrible Internet Data Cap, Thanks to Video Games

A week or so ago, a notification from Comcast popped up in my browser saying that I’d almost used all my bandwidth for the month. My what? I hadn’t even considered whether or not I had a data cap; it’d never come up. Apparently, each month, between uploads and downloads, I can use a terabyte of data? Overnight, a few games quietly pulled patches on Steam and what remained of my data went “poof!” Whoops. But Comcast, benevolent Internet overlords that they are, recognized my mistake and showed corporate grace, hand-waving the overage. It’s even okay if that happens again—well, for one more month, anyway! After that, once the data cap doth spilleth over a third time, it’s $10 per 50GB.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywaqzx/how-i-learned-about-my-terrible-internet-data-cap-thanks-to-video-games

Ah, Comcast. Of all the shady corporations I’m forced to give money to on a regular basis, they’re uniquely capable of making my blood boil. I’ve freaked out at their poor employees, sent them short essays in their feedback surveys, and for some reason my partner even emailed Elizabeth Warren (??) about how most of their business practices should be illegal. And yet I have basically no choice but to pay them $100 a month. Capitalism, folks!

2 Likes

This actually became and issue for me recently and cost me something like $250 in overage charges.
Two years of no issues then a couple months of three people using a lot of data without payment ng any mind…

I get 150Gb a month, but downloads between 2am and 7am don’t count towards it.

The PS3 had a feature (for PS+ subscribers) where you could set a time for it to turn on and download any pending updates. It wasn’t perfect, but it worked well with my setup.

The PS4 lacks this feature, so if I want to download any patches (like, say, a 60Gb Destiny 2 update) I have to pause it and manually start it up again at 2am, so I can maybe play the game again the following day.

Thanks, Sony. Thanks, Canadian internet providers.

1 Like