How ‘Nobody Saves the World’ Turns Grinding into Pure Joy

Grinding, described by Wikipedia as “the act of performing repetitive tasks to achieve a desired outcome,” sounds grim. But grinding is also present in so many video games that we take it for granted. And because frequently the point of a game is to master a set of tasks over time, it becomes more important to understand the context that grind exists in.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7kbw84/how-nobody-saves-the-world-turns-grinding-into-pure-joy

I guess it doesn’t count as “Webster’s Dictionary defines ‘grinding’ as” without an actual dictionary reference but lol

2 Likes

As a big Philosophy Tube fan, obviously I argue that all “dictionary reference” memes should be subverted mercilessly.

That said, I’d argue also that what this article describes isn’t grind. This just seems like a well-designed set of practice-based skill mastery challenges.

It’s kind of both? Each form gets, at any given time, 2 or 3 quests. Each one will require performing a specified action a bunch of times- so use your primary attack to smash 100 objects, stomp 3 enemies at once 25 times. If you focus on doing it it’ll be done in 5-15 minutes each.

So it’s a bunch of mini-grinds, in that you’ll be repeating a set action for a reward, combining to form a steady stream that is in itself a grind, as you do need to rank up each of your forms to unlock others. It’s just engaging enough to constitute variety, but not so involved that you don’t get that pleasant sense of comfortable progress for your efforts. An interesting bit of tuning.

2 Likes