How Often Do You Re-Roll In Games?

I am currently on my fourth start of No Man’s Sky, after a hilarious series of failures that almost left me dropping off the game, again. This one, though, is going to stick.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/ev8avk/re-roll-no-mans-sky

Every cRPG I’ve ever played has involved like five or six rerolls because going blind into a new system involves a lot of guesswork. I never know what kind of character I’ll enjoy playing until I’ve actually played the game for a while.

I find myself restarting a fair amount of games, whether it be because I realize I could have made a better build or I don’t like the way the character I created looks or I rolled a bad start in games with procedural generation. Both at launch and with NEXT No Man’s Sky I rerolled my game until I started on a planet I found pretty!

Edit: @dogsarecool you are right on the money! It’s odd that they haven’t implemented any better techniques to explain what things will do when you’re building a character in a CRPG. I’d like it if these games had some sort of codex you could refer to right from the start that would explain how things work. Like with tabletop games, the players have access to all the rules right away, I’d like something similar for CRPG’s.

Unless you count making a ton of characters in Fallout games, where many (but not all!) of those characters are full playthroughs, I don’t reroll a lot. This is probably why I don’t like a lot of CRPGs, even though I want to? I want to play Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, but I don’t really know how much I like doing the same opening hours over and over. With Fallout 3, NV, and 4, I maybe don’t mind those opening hours quite as much, though I definitely don’t want to do them a bunch in a short timespan, and maybe that’s the difference - if you’re rerolling in an RPG or a game like No Man’s Sky, that probably means you’re seeing this preamble over and over in a short timespan, and that kinda frustrates me.

I don’t think I’ve ever re-rolled. Usually it’s because I pick my build based on aesthetics and the kind of character I would like to be. If that doesn’t mesh with the way the game defines “success”, I usually only find that out when I’m at least an hour deep into the campaign. Like hell I’m going to waste more of my precious leisure time playing the same tutorial and starting sequence over again, so I’ll just drop the difficulty down to a point where builds don’t matter and get on with things. If that doesn’t help, then goodbye game, you probably aren’t worth the hassle (looking at you, Pillars of Eternity).

I lucked out across the board in NMS when I first got in. The planet was suitable and my first frieghter was pretty decent.

But when it comes to games with skill point allocation, well, that’s another story…

I’m on my third NMS save, I put about 30 hours in to it at launch, started fresh on the Atlas update and played another 30, and once again started fresh on Next.

When I first played Morrowind, I had no idea how the leveling worked, and scrapped 2-3 characters to restart a few hours in to each game until I settled on what I wanted to do and understood how to do it effectively. More recently, I’ve ducked out of multiple Bloodborne or souls playthroughs 3-6 hours in because I wasn’t feeling the path I chose, and decided to just restart.

I have a feeling once Divinity OS2 hits PS4 I’ll be scrapping many runs in that game too, as the last game I played that was at all similar to it was Neverwinter Nights 2.

I totally played myself with NMS Next and still haven’t had the heart to go back to it. After getting off the first planet I made a b line for the space station where an alien offered me an upgrade for my multi tool which I accepted. Unfortunately it had damaged bits that prevented me from installing a terrain deformation mod the tutorial wanted me to install next and the planet I ended up on (and was stuck on because I didn’t have fuel to launch again) didn’t seem to have the resources I needed to repair the damaged bits. Ugggh.

I don’t remember ever getting a damaged multitool in trade in my time with the old version of the game.

Anytime I come back to any RPG that I haven’t played in a month.

Also every XCOM 2 ironman run that has an entire squad die at about mid game. Early game and late game I can recover from but if it’s that mid game point and I lose my best squad there’s no hope unless I really want to slow roll every mission. And it’s funny because you lose a hero unit and it’s no big deal because often enough you end up with a safe operation you can send some low level troops on to get one that is the same or higher in rank.

You really need those higher ranked troops at mid game to pull lower rank troops through missions and get them levels. Early game it doesn’t matter because everyone is all just about equal and late game you probably have backup team or two.

Constantly. I’ll get 10 hours into a character in cRPGs and delete them if the roleplaying and the build don’t feel quite right to me, which happens a lot. Especially if I don’t know the game.

Almost never these days as the majority of stat based RPGs I play have worn away the edges to the degree that specializing is either pointless or a small amount of grind away from balancing out. Skyrim, Fallout, Dark Souls, I couldn’t even begin to tell you what my starting build/class was for any of them because it doesn’t take long for me to acquire enough experience to just be kind of good at everything.

Now back in the day with Baldur’s Gate and stuff like that? I’d re-roll all the time because I would find out in a couple of hours that I royally boned myself and needed to adjust.

I’ll often restart a game if I spend the first few hours just sort of bumbling through and not fully understanding the mechanics.
I find many games do a poor job of explaining how a lot of mechanics or skills work, and so sometimes I’ll think something is a good idea for my play style, only to sink half my points in to it and find that I actually hate it.
A lot of multiplayer games have ways to respec, but with single player games sometimes you just have to eat it.
In the cases where I can’t fix my mistakes, I’ll start over again. It can be a bit frustrating, but with some games I can see how things pan out different when I actually know what I’m doing and am familiar with how the game works, and that’s fun.

I usually re-roll a few times when I’m playing an RPG. When I’m getting into a system I don’t know I can spend hours going through the character creator over and over to try and find what I think feels right. This mostly is a combination of wanting to build the character I think is representative of what I want to be and a fear that I’ll be playing the game “wrong” if I make a bad decision right at the start. (I know that can be a kind of foolish notion but hey! Shitty people have opinions about how you should play some games). It also helps me start to get my head around a system before I start playing it, if enough stats are visible during character creation.

My favourite story of re-rolling was when I first started Fallout 2. I rolled a heavy charisma based character, not knowing that game starts with a combat trial. I had a -1% chance to hit the first Giant Ant you fight.

Yeah… had to re-roll that one.

Everytime I start a game where re-rolling is a possibility, I tell myself: “I’m not going to re-roll this time. I’m not. I’m not going to reload saves when I don’t like an outcome. I’m just going to commit. No restarting, let’s do this”

And then, like 95% of the time I encounter something that I just don’t want to live with. It’s usually something where the game just doesn’t communicate things (or, you know, maybe I wasn’t really paying enough attention), like “how was I supposed to know that was going to be the outcome of my decision?”, or my computer or fingers glitched and I chose something I didn’t like. Or worse, I come to a slow realization that I’ve chosen a path that just, isn’t, fun.

So every time, I end up saying to my past self, “Next game we start, we’ll stick with it”.

Game genre matters.

Permadeath-y games: I find it easier to commit to anything with permadeath. So even though survival-y games can really depend on a good start, I tend to stick with em until the bitter end.

Loot games: (Destiny, Warframe et al) I find it easier to commit to a class in loot+smash games. I’ll only reroll those if I feel like I accomplished everything I wanted with a class

Action/Adventure games don’t tend to merit restarts. So many of them are on-rails enough that restarting will just reveal the illusion of choice that gives them their magic.

RPG’s, immersive sims, big strategic/tactical games where I’m going to spend dozens of hours digging myself out of a hole of my own making, are big restart bait. I think for these types of quote-unquote deep games restarting is part of the learning curve. It’s normal. There are a lot of systems whose meaning isn’t clear immediately, and your agency in the game depends on you understanding those systems. It’s only once you are past the basic-knowledge acquisition phase that the game takes on its proper life.

I re-roll my Animal Crossing towns when I start a file until I get The Perfect Town Layout (the river isn’t too obtrusive, the beach is mostly one long strip, buildings are in places I like, there’s a good space for me to build a house, etc. etc.)

This is very very time consuming and I will never stop until I die or AC games stop coming out

Enough to the point where I’d like to see a whole game somehow revolve around just creating a multitude of characters. I love coming up with new stories.

I reroll starts in strategy games compulsively: Stellaris, Warhammer Total War (1 and 2), etc… honestly, too often. I feel like I play the early game until I master its systems, then once I start hitting the midgame things start going wrong. I start trying to diagnose my own failures in how I didn’t perfectly iterate on the early turns and how it’s my fault that things are spiraling out of control, not the emergent systems clashing and thrusting more stimuli at me–I really wish I could build up the, uh, nerve to push on through to continue to get a better grasp of the mid-game and actually be around for the late-game.

I’ve rerolled the first start of complex rpgs too, like Massive Chalice, or Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall a couple of times a few hours in as I’m trying to get a handle on the systems and leveling up.

I have found, though, that a strong story that gets its hooks into me is one of the better ways for continuing on. XCOM (Enemy Within and War of the Chosen, by the time I got to each) seem like the sort of game I would do this for too, but the central log-line of the plot and progression proved linear enough and compelling enough that I had no trouble committing to a single playthrough of each?

Into The Breach is a really interesting case because it draws from the Roguelike (or lite?) tradition of carrying something on from the previous run, and also that it makes that “abandon run” button an affirmative choice you make, to save a pilot–it acknowledges and ties in the mechanic of rerolling in a way that few other games do, as part of the text of the game. I really admire how Into The Breach incorporates other structural conceits of gaming that games so rarely acknowledge, like “failed timelines” as abandoned runs. The implications that has for the lives you save and lose are heavy–all those missions you won on that timeline you had to abandon? Sorry to break it to you, but…

I rarely re-roll a character or start a new seed unless things look hopeless and I’m not having fun, like “this game of Civ is way too hard, lower the difficulty,” or “My party just wiped by low-level enemies.” Sometimes when I hit roadblocks in games I stop altogether, really, unless I really want to “get good.” An example of a game I started over recently was Darkest Dungeon when I wasn’t seeing enough improvement from day to day with my game. I also realized though, that Darkest Dungeon is trying to evoke hopeless, not just as a theme in the game’s plot, but also as an emotion exhibited by the player when their party wipes to a shambler out of nowhere.

I’ve re-rolled a lot of games. It’s usually due to character builds and RPG skill tree elements, since those take some in-game time to absorb the significance of the mechanics.

On the other hand, I have 5 saved games in Stardew Valley as well. :thinking:

I am a serial re-roller. I am especially prone to it early on in a game or if I have been away from it for any length of time.