How 'Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order' Channels 'Dark Souls'

We're nearly at the finish line. Day two of E3 2019 is in the books, and so is our podcast. Join Austin, Patrick, Rob, and I as we discuss how Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (aka Star Souls??) is actually rad, why we still don't know what to make of Marvel's Avengers even after watching someone play it, and more! Those more things include hands-on with Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and impressions of Dying Light 2, Age of Empires II, Outer Worlds, and Psychonauts 2.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43jbkw/how-star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-channels-dark-souls

After Sekiro I’m convinced now that the only way to make a good Jedi game where you have a lightsaber and you want it to feel like a lightsaber is to have it copy the Sekiro Posture system. In Sekiro the sword you have is lethal. You don’t just hack away at people until their HP goes away, you’ll kill them in a single slice or stab, because it’s a sword and they’re a man, but in order to get that opening you need to either sneak up or break their posture or guard.

It’s perfect for a lightsaber fighter because lightsabers have always meant to be this weapon that just wrecks people.

It looks like it might have something similar to it at least from the little game play I saw. Regular “mook” Stormtroopers go down in a single blow, but more elite ones take a few shots. I just hope that I don’t end up feeling like the lightsaber is a wiffle bat again.

3 Likes

I bet the Mordhau/Chivalry model could be worked into a pretty solid one. Particularly Mordhau, with the directional swings, weapon throw mechanics, etc.