How the Devs Behind 'Sable' Found Inspiration in the Enigmatic

In the desert of Atacama, a giant hand, 11 meters tall, reaches out from the sand. Its presence, along the Pan-American Highway in a remote section of Chile, seems inexplicable. The area is a wilderness of salt flats, so bone-dry that NASA have used it as a test location for Mars expeditions. It is a place that appears largely devoid of life, bar the strange concrete hand of some submerged being, grasping towards the light.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/neazk8/how-the-devs-behind-sable-found-inspiration-in-the-enigmatic
2 Likes

great read, super excited for sable, and everything i see or hear about it and the team raises that excitement

3 Likes

First off, this is an incredible write-up by @Oniropolis. I really hope they keep contributing to Waypoint.

I’ve been eagerly awaiting this since I saw the trailer a year ago and reading this just confirms they are attempting to make the game I was hoping they were making. I love a good wander in a game and most of the time I end up playing an open world game and tuning out the filler. My favourite wandering games are Fallout: New Vegas and Breath of the Wild which both reward a player who is into exploring and piecing together somewhere’s history by coming across relics of the past, and while laying those games I always wished I had a motorcycle so that I could take in more of the scenery*. No Man’s Sky gave a bit of that to me while basically infinitely expanding the world, but after a while the procgen wasn’t hittin’. I want something more handcrafted.

The art style is incredible as well. Everything is super low res which allows for faster travel and bigger spaces, but the Rocko’s Modern Life colour palette is gorgeous and the fact the game isn’t afraid to have empty space is also really striking and adds a lot to the aesthetic.

*I know there is a motorcycle in Breath of the Wild now, but I’m going through the DLC in master mode and some of that stuff is really hard. It’s a whole thing.

7 Likes

ugh this article is so good and ugh it’s making me unreasonably excited for sable, moreso than i already was when i first saw last year’s e3 trailer and found out japanese breakfast was doing the soundtrack

4 Likes

just came to add to the chorus that 1. great article and 2. really, really looking forward to sable

Every time I watch footage of this game I let out an inadvertent groan. Like a good one, the kind you make when you take the first sip of a beer after a long day in the sun.

The pencil line aesthetic, the desolate melancholy landscapes and the glider landspeeder with its big fat red beam coming out the back. Its all just so delicious.

1 Like

Everything I have seen about this game is completely my jam.

Great write up.

“When you lose curiosity, or you feel like you’ve seen it all and there is nothing to learn anymore, that’s when I usually find myself putting down a game.”

This remark makes me excited for Sable because the last big game that I played with a focus on this particular type of worldbuilding was Horizon Zero Dawn, and I absolutely had the experience that I figured out the Big Twist midway through and just lost all impetus to keep playing. I love a world that is a mystery, but if it’s easily ‘solved’ I’m probably going to move on to something else.

Great write up. I was already vaguely aware of this game because of the great art style but I completely missed before that Meg Jayanth is writing on it so now I’m extremely more into it.

This was a great read! I’ve enjoyed following Darran Anderson on twitter for a while, he always posts interesting stuff, plus some really cool old paintings and illustrations.

I had kinda slept on this game to be honest, but I’m intrigued now. Mystery in games is an underrated quality!

“While we’ve grown used to colossal breadth, in terms of open world games, the insinuation of depth, through the creation of half-buried histories, is a very different skill.”

“By absorbing real-life touchstones, flights of fancy are given weight and impact.”

My two favorite parts of the article, thoughts I’ve had myself, but no way I could put them as succinctly, poetically, and elegantly as Darran. If you enjoyed the article, you should really check out his book Imaginary Cities:

https://www.influxpress.com/imaginary-cities

1 Like