How to Get Into Our Favorite Fandoms

We're deep into our games of choice this week, as the summer swims along. Austin is deep into the clouds of No Man's Sky, Danielle is having a lot of fun with sound effects and new characters in Sonic Mania Plus. Rob is attending to his many wargaming duties. And Patrick, who had a tweet go viral in a rough way this weekend, sought solace in in Hollow Knight.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/8xbxk4/how-to-fandom-no-mans-sky

So ugh I know not everyone will see this but anime fans, of which I am one as you can see from the avi and almost thought about doing what I’m going to say not to do, no one explicitly asked for anime recommendations. Don’t do it. Also why aren’t there forum signatures?

I had not heard of Skippable before this podcast, but I really like that idea. I skipped my way through Series 2-7 of Dr. Who, mostly by searching for articles like “10 best Dr. Who episodes Series 5”, and skimming over the summaries to pick out the ones that seemed interesting. It would have been really nice to have a skip list instead of relying on Google and random blogs. Although the nice thing about curating your own skip list is that you can filter for the stuff that specifically interests you (I wanted all the weird high-concept sci-fi stuff, but didn’t really care about the historical episodes).

Also, gimme that anime. I’ve never watched any Lupin The Third, so I’m wondering if anyone could recommend a good starting point. I’ve heard good things about the newest version.

It’s hard to go wrong with Cagliostro, which was recently added to Netflix in most regions. It’s Hayao Miyazaki’s first film, and is as accessible as the rest of his catalog. It’s a great movie, though going from that to Part 5 (the currently airing show) is pretty jarring.

I’m not sure what to make of Part 5. The structure of it (5-episode arcs with the occasional one-shot interlude) has been great for its pacing so far, and it’s been pretty creative with its action scenes, but it is prone to some weird tonal swings with regards to violence and, in one case, handling a character who was sexually abused as a minor. The show doesn’t quite manage the material the diligence it requires, nor does it mesh comfortably to with the rest of Lupin’s globetrotting escapades.

So whenever I’ve heard Danielle talking about Farscape I’m always reminded of my enthusiasm for my own favorite 90s sci fi series, Babylon 5. But that was particularly true when she mentioned the list she wrote for Skippable, because I wrote the corresponding list there for Babylon 5. I really recommend that show, which is now finally on some streaming services. Although there’s the big caveat that it’s a low-budget 90s sci-fi show with a hit and miss first season that greatly improves as it builds momentum.

Are there any twitch channels that feature wargaming? Love to watch a few rounds.

I’m far from an expert on WWI, but Dan Carlin’s Blueprint for Armageddon series is fantastic

The thing with B5 is that afaik it’s the first instance of serial, sci fi tv storytelling. You had the occasional two part season finale or whatever in ST:TNG, but B5 really went for it after the first season. And unlike most modern versions of the same, I think it basically sticks the landing whether you include that final season or not.

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to the Waypoint team for posting all the games discussed in the show notes. I tweeted something at you guys a few months(?) ago about that, and it pretty much instantly showed up, so either I have amazing influence or you guys were already planning on it.

Regardless, I appreciate that more than you know, and thank you for being considerate to those listening by putting them in.

I’ve given this a lot of thought since my chosen fandom is Final Fantasy and really I couldn’t have picked a more complicated and varied franchise. The main series now has like five completely difference kinds of gameplay, and if you say, get into Final Fantasy XV you might not be interested in FFI-FFX.

So if you’re curious about Final Fantasy (or even JRPGs in general), I’d say actually start with the Kingdom Hearts series. You’ll have the familiarity of Disney characters so at least you’re not dumped into anime madness immediately. But this game has a lot of cameos from characters from FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, and FFX, which will make you curious what these guys and gals are all about.

Also you’ll get a good introduction into the more baroque side of JRPG storytelling. There’s a whole cosmology of monsters, cycles of souls, evil organizations full of handsome boys, and a damn touching love-triangle turned friendship.

As a kaiju film fan, I’m always looking for good entryways for people into the genre. I hosted a movie marathon birthday party a few years ago, and our three-film foray into daikaiju was a great aperitif for someone just starting out:

• Pacific Rim. Great action, fun sequences, it’s in English so it’s not intimidating for a newbie, most of the cast is great, it’s a fun dumb movie.
  • Gamera the Brave. I think it’s my favorite Gamera movie, if not the best, because it shows the joy and optimism at the root of some of the best kaiju films. It’s very, very fun to watch little Gamera grow up.
  • Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. At this point, the crowd was primed for maximum ridiculosity, which is what this 1974 film is. I often remark that it’s my favorite film of all time, because it’s the apex of showa-era Godzilla - fun special effects, an overwrought storyline, a great soundtrack, and an amazing new monster.

There are other great ways to start in daikaiju cinema (the original 1954 Gojira is always a safe bet, and the 2014 American version certainly has its pluses as well) but this is how I start a neophyte out.

Shout out to my fellow Utahns. There are…well, at least two of us.

It brings me so much joy to hear Austin talk about the 08th MS team so much. Gundam is a huge universe and the 08th MS team is a great starting point to the UC conflict.